TV Karate Kid TV Series - Danny vs Johnny 30 Years Later!

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
Daniel-san is the douche in this one?
Sure looks that way to me. Huh. And I guess if you really think about it, what was Johnny back in the original, but a kid abused by a violent teacher? Daniel knew that, and still did the "woe is me" shit instead of reaching out and helping the guy.

Daniel's ALWAYS been the douche.

Bobobie

They should bring back the hot Asian chick from Karate II ... still hot.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Sure looks that way to me. Huh. And I guess if you really think about it, what was Johnny back in the original, but a kid abused by a violent teacher? Daniel knew that, and still did the "woe is me" shit instead of reaching out and helping the guy.

Daniel's ALWAYS been the douche.
Meh, yeah you could make that argument, but it seems like they are setting him up as the hateable one, no nuances required, in this show.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
Meh, yeah you could make that argument, but it seems like they are setting him up as the hateable one, no nuances required, in this show.
It does seem like they're pushing the "Daniel is a smug douche bag due to winning that battle" thing a bit ham-handedly here.

LiddyRules

The 9/11 Moon Landings Were An Outside Job
It does seem like they're pushing the "Daniel is a smug douche bag due to winning that battle" thing a bit ham-handedly here.
A shitty Karate Kid series created to capitalize on nostalgia way too late is ham handed? What?

Floyd1977

If I interpreted the trailer right, Johnny is not starting the beat on the weaker kids school but more the teach the weaker kids to kick a bully's ass school. Daniel probably takes issue with it because it's not the Miyagi way or something (even though it really kind of is)

KRSOne

If I interpreted the trailer right, Johnny is not starting the beat on the weaker kids school but more the teach the weaker kids to kick a bully's ass school. Daniel probably takes issue with it because it's not the Miyagi way or something (even though it really kind of is)
Is Daniel son a zero tolerance douche?

Floyd1977

During Jeopardy/Wheel last night they ran a fake "real" ad for the LaRusso auto dealership.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
I watched all ten episodes. I really enjoyed it, more than I thought I would. But, I'm smack-dab in the target demographic - I was fourteen when the original movie came out. Along with the Goonies and Back To The Future, The Karate Kid really takes me back to better times.

kidconnor

55gallon hog
I'm on episode 3. My 10 yr old daughter is watching with me as I introduced to all 3 movies and she loved them. I'm enjoying it, she is too. Some of the content is too mature for her but.... its cobra kai. No mercy I guess.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mommadeez4u

Bastard coated bastard w/ bastard filling
It's clever, the writers aren't complete idiots, and while some of the dialogue is corny, the character arcs are interesting. We wind up feeling sympathy for Johnny and Daniel comes across as douchier with age.

Bobobie

So the basic premise is that Danny isn't giving this guy a break because he's still seeing him through the eyes of young kid who was bullied.

LiddyRules

The 9/11 Moon Landings Were An Outside Job
So the basic premise is that Danny isn't giving this guy a break because he's still seeing him through the eyes of young kid who was bullied.
But the young kid...was a murderer!

Haeder

South Dakota
Damn Red service!!!

I watched the first two episodes. Episode three was just a preview. NOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I might have to actually break down and subscribe for this one. The first two episodes ruled.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
Damn Red service!!!

I watched the first two episodes. Episode three was just a preview. NOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I might have to actually break down and subscribe for this one. The first two episodes ruled.
One of my techs was emailing me all day basically jizzing over himself about how good this show is. I guess Youtube got itself on the map with this show.

KRSOne

Great series. I think my favorite aspect of it is there was no clear good guy or bad guy. It made the ending more exciting because you weren't sure how it was going to end.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
Only watched the first episode so far, but based on that, yeah. They actually did a pretty good job of doing a "where are they now" type story. I keep hearing the rest of the series gets even better.

Biff Hardslab

I have the t-shirt
Just finished watching the entire series. It’s really good. I hated every William Zabka character back in the 80’s, but I’d love to sit at a bar and drink with Johnny now. His contrast to the current crop of “men” today is fantastic.

The series has been renewed for a second season to come out next year.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Finished this a few days ago, and had to rewatch it again. It's stunningly good. The emmy-worthy aspect is the casting. They got everyone fucking right. It's brilliant.

The writing is strong, and the most worrisome part - the original actors, actually pull it off. There should be an emmy nod for Zabka here despite a few flat moments..

Will Chozen make an appearance or Barnes and Silver? What about Julie San?
Seriously, Chozen would be great. Some kind of Yakuza boss getting revenge on Daniel, or some corrupt Japanese auto exec trying to take away his business license. It ought to be the season-ending close for the next season. Barnes & Silver are best forgotten, and Swank would never come on board for this. Even Elisabeth Shue might not ever make an appearance.

If this goes more than two seasons, we will definitely see that hidden bonsai tree again.

They should bring back the hot Asian chick from Karate II ... still hot.

Agreed. She and Chozen could easily be cast again. I think they would both do it. It would be nice to have a season set partly in Japan (or Oahu filling in again).

Oof Martin Kove looks a little rough.....
This is where I have doubts. Kove looks like he had a stroke. On Anthony's show, or in recent interviews, he's slurring his speech and looks slow. His concern of why he wasn't cast until the last episode is made more clear now. However, season two looks to feature him, and I don't know if that will fly unless it's addressed.

Clearly, story-wise, he'll invoke that he owns the name, and threaten to sue unless he's on board, if not running the dojo(s). Hopefully, it will be just him giving slow speeches behind desks at most.