OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Kayaking

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Buster H, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Buster H

Buster H Alt-F4
    Wackbag Staff

Any other Baggers into kayaking?

I've been doing it a few times a year for the past 3 and am about to go out and purchase my own in the coming months. The main thing I am looking to do is touring. I'd love to do a multi-day trip on the Delaware or Chesapeake.

More than likely, my first boat is gonna be in the 14-17 foot range with a rudder.

The only reason I don't own a boat yet is that I don't really have the storage space (I live in a condo). My sister is moving into a new house with a HUGE garage, so once she gets in there, she's already told me that she'd let me keep it there.

2. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

We kayak to dive sites, usually ones that are in dense kelp forests, but not really into the kayaking just to kayak thing. I'd love to do the river kayaking thing, but living in Texas there's not a whole lot of opportunity for that.

3. Buster H

Buster H Alt-F4
    Wackbag Staff

This is the kind of trip I would like to do. It's a long read, but sounds fucking incredible

http://www.seakayak.ws/kayak/kayak....201be4f21b94e4d3852570d60066505c!opendocument

Also, there's a few back country campsites down on Assateaque Island that are about 5 miles back. Would be great to paddle through the back bay out to them and spend a few nights fishing the surf. I would totally attempt to do one of those live off the land things there (but also bring enough food just in case)

4. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

coughpussycough

Necessity breeds ingenuity, sir.

5. JonBenetRamsey

JonBenetRamsey well shit the bed

only when celine dion is around. her camel toe is a smooth ride.

6. Buster H

Buster H Alt-F4
    Wackbag Staff

i guess I should clarify that. Bring SOME food. When we went on the fly-in trips to Canada as a kid, we would bring enough food for half the number of days we planned to be there. For both trips, the only thing we ended up eating out of our supply was maybe a small packet of instant soup for lunch and the venison chili. The rest of our food came from the lake and we ate like fucking kings up there. We usually brought back 75% or more of the food we took with us

7. Buster H

Buster H Alt-F4
    Wackbag Staff

took 4 replies.... thought it would be sooner

8. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

Too easy

9. icculus1284

icculus1284 Registered User

My friends are into kayaking. Doing class 5s and shit.

I'm not interested in that. I think it'd be fun to kayak down slow moving creeks and rivers.

That said, I don't have the dough to buy a boat.

10. JonBenetRamsey

just go to a water park with a lazy river. same experience, more minorities.

11. JonBenetRamsey

but look at it!

[​IMG]

12. Buster H

Buster H Alt-F4
    Wackbag Staff

I've done class 5s in a raft. That's crazy enough. The biggest rapids I've been in with a kayak is class 2.

I'm more looking into long distance touring type stuff. It wouldn't matter if it's salt water or fresh.

13. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

I dated a girl who was into kayaking a few years back, tried to get me into it. Never really appealed to me, probably because we don't really have any bad ass places to do it. We have one decent river a couple of hours away, but it's fucking crowded, and people kayak in our disgusting bay but that doesn't appeal to me.

Kayaking down a river for a few days does sound pretty fun, and as an added bonus there's always the possibility of running into fine people like this...

[​IMG]

14. WhiteHonkyDevil

WhiteHonkyDevil El hombre de los moleculos!

I did a 34 mile trip on the Rifle River here in mid-Michigan. Nothing too difficult, just a lazy ass crawl down a river for 6 or so hours. That was about a decade ago. Before that I'd done a bunch of smaller trips, but I can't remember where. Most likely just different stretches of the Rifle.

One of the more ingenious things I saw on the trip - one of the houses along the slower part of the river have left a basketball net in their backyard and a sign encouraging people cruising down the river to try and throw their beer cans in. They looked like they were cleaning up on can deposit.