Kayaking!

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
After talking about it for years, I finally have a house with a garage and space to store a boat. Got this last night off of Craigslist.

I got the boat (wilderness systems tsunami 14.5 ft), a carbon fiber shaft paddle, life jacket, pump, and spray skirt for $700.

I can't wait to take it out this weekend!

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
That's pretty cool. Kayaking has really gotten popular where I live, and a couple of friends have tried to talk me into buying one. I probably will next spring if I'm living somewhere I can utilize it enough.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Here's a few pics from last summer down in ocean city, md when I went out in the back bays paddling with my sister.

whiskeyguy

Donator
I'm going to try to go out on a friend's kayak and see how I like it, but it definitely looks like fun.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Never kayaked. Use to teach canoeing, rowing
and small boat sailing. Done white water in
canoes and rafts but never been in a kayak under
any circumstances. I'd like to try it. Just never did.

whiskeyguy

Donator
When I was in San Luis Obispo, CA for my brother's wedding a month ago, there was a big to-do about whales in Avila Beach... I wish I had time to go check them out. Everyone was grabbing their kayaks/canoes and hitting the ocean. Here are a few of the pictures taken:

That would have been pretty cool.

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
I've whitewater rafted the Ocoee in Tennessee and the Arkansas in Colorado. I have never done the kayaking in whitewater yet though I'd really like to try it some time.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
I have some pics of me in the rio grande in an inflatable yak. It was only class II and I was in a sit on top. It was my first time ever kayaking. Overall, it was a good trip. Lots of fun!

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
here's some pics from my first excursion in a kayak. These were in the Rio Grande, just south of Taos, NM.

LZMF1

Semi-Eviscerated
i've been very tempted to get a fishing kayak. no i'm not gonna pull a bob kelly and get a $900+ one. i saw a few that are @500 that would suit my needs......one i'm looking at weighs only 40lbs and handle my weight @250 lbs.

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Couple pics from some lake outings last year. Think I'm going to give our sit-on kayak to the kids and get me and the Mrs. a tandem sit-in style this season.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Anyone have any advice on purchasing a kayak? I have no idea where to start, but a girl I'm kind of chasing is constantly bugging me to go.

jnoble

Lingering longer for a longering linger
Anyone have any advice on purchasing a kayak? I have no idea where to start, but a girl I'm kind of chasing is constantly bugging me to go.
that's not a good investment based on your motivation

whiskeyguy

Donator
that's not a good investment based on your motivation
It's not my only motivation. I'm fairly certain I'll enjoy it and we have a lot of places to kayak up here.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
It all depends on what you want and your timeframe. I had my heart set on a Wilderness systems 14-15ft touring boat.
It took me about 6months of scouring eBay and Craigslist to find one, but it was worth it. I got the boat, spray skirt, PFD and a carbon paddle for $700 cash.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Couple pics from some lake outings last year. Think I'm going to give our sit-on kayak to the kids and get me and the Mrs. a tandem sit-in style this season.

According to a few of the kayak guides I know, all tandem kayaks should come with marriage counseling. Might be better to get one for each of you.

jnoble

Lingering longer for a longering linger
It's not my only motivation. I'm fairly certain I'll enjoy it and we have a lot of places to kayak up here.
oh OK. Well, I guess if it's new to you then getting a cheaper one would be the best route, you can always upgrade later. I'm not much of an expert on kayaks so I can't tell you what a good starting price range would be

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator

Wouldn't it be easier just to motorboat her?;)

whiskeyguy

Donator
It all depends on what you want and your timeframe. I had my heart set on a Wilderness systems 14-15ft touring boat.
It took me about 6months of scouring eBay and Craigslist to find one, but it was worth it. I got the boat, spray skirt, PFD and a carbon paddle for $700 cash.
That's about what I was thinking about spending. I'll keep an eye on craigslist to see if anything pops up.

Aren't there types of kayaks that you're not "stuck" in? The largest issue I have (and I knew experience probably negates it) is the thought of flipping it and being stuck in the kayak upside down.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
That's about what I was thinking about spending. I'll keep an eye on craigslist to see if anything pops up.

Aren't there types of kayaks that you're not "stuck" in? The largest issue I have (and I knew experience probably negates it) is the thought of flipping it and being stuck in the kayak upside down.
You'd be surprised how much room you have in those "enclosed" kayaks.

Personally, I prefer them. Just try sitting in one once. You'll see.

They do have "sit on top" ones, but for me, they feel less stable because you are sitting higher. I have been in one twice and both times, I didn't like it.

whiskeyguy

Donator
You'd be surprised how much room you have in those "enclosed" kayaks.

Personally, I prefer them. Just try sitting in one once. You'll see.

They do have "sit on top" ones, but for me, they feel less stable because you are sitting higher. I have been in one twice and both times, I didn't like it.
I think the smart thing to do is to rent both types and see how I like them.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
I think the smart thing to do is to rent both types and see how I like them.
absolutely. make sure you spend at least a few hours in each though. i think you will end up loving the sit in style. the hatch openings on the touring boats are pretty big. It extends down to just above my knee