Keanu Barada Nikto: The Day the Earth Stood Still [Merged]

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
Keanu Barada Nikto

This is the sort of shit that makes me want to never see another movie again.

Keanu Reeves lands on 'Earth'
Actor to star in classic sci-fi remake
By MICHAEL FLEMING

Twentieth Century Fox has set Keanu Reeves to star in "The Day the Earth Stood Still," its re-imagining of the 1951 Robert Wise-directed sci-fi classic.

Reeves committed over the weekend to play Klaatu, a humanoid alien who arrives on Earth accompanied by an indestructible, heavily armed robot and a warning to world leaders that their continued aggression will lead to annihilation by species watching from afar.

Erwin Stoff is producing, with Scott Derrickson ("The Exorcism of Emily Rose") directing from a script by David Scarpa. Reeves' commitment puts the picture on track for a late fall or early 2008 production start. Studio sees it as a tentpole.

The Klaatu role was originated by Michael Rennie. The 1951 film's premise, a response to the rise of the Cold War after WWII, is being updated, and the film will use advances in visual effects.

It also returns "The Matrix" star to his strong suit in the sci-fi realm and puts him in back-to-back films for Fox. He just completed the David Ayer-directed "The Night Watchman," for Fox Searchlight/Regency about police corruption based on a story by James Ellroy. Forest Whitaker, Chris Evans and Hugh Laurie also star.
Reeves is repped by 3 Arts and CAA.

SuperGolfer

I got it from a negro
Nov 6, 2004
"re-imagining"

I hate that fucking made up word.

RobeSoup&Tears

Get 'em while they're hot
Aug 16, 2005
Riverdale, New York
As soon as I read the thread title I knew what you meant and thought...'Another remake?'

They glorify the past when the future dries up.

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
Whoaa...I am from space...I have a robot. Robots are awesome.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Robot Chicken nailed him right on...

"I am Constantine, I must slay the demons. Now I am Neo, I must stop the machines. Now, I'm Klaatu, I must stop Earth from destroying itself."

Budyzir

There's nothing quite like a shorn scrotum.
Nov 12, 2004
Queens, NY
Is Hollywood so out of ideas that every new movie announcement is a remake or "re-imaging" of a classic? How freaking pathetic!!!! I've read so many SciFi books that would make killer movies. Why hasn't any of them been optioned or picked up?

The talent is out there but the corporate suits are killing the genre.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
"re-imagining"

I hate that fucking made up word.
I liked when Rob Zombie called that word bullshit.

Seriously, why remake this film? The Cold War is so closely tied into the point of the original film that by trying to update it is retarded. Unless the film has evil Muslims not really getting the point of why they come to Earth and Keanu and his robot partner has to teach them a lesson...A LESSON WITH LASERS!!

Deadbent

You can go fuck.
Aug 19, 2005
Chicago, IL. Southside, stupid.
How freaking pathetic!!!! I've read so many SciFi books that would make killer movies. Why hasn't any of them been optioned or picked up?

Well, I know Heinlein's "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" is now technically feasible on film. There've been stirrings in the past about it being impossible to realize on film without x or y techmology. Now that it's possible... I want it goddamnit.

Budyzir

There's nothing quite like a shorn scrotum.
Nov 12, 2004
Queens, NY
Well, I know Heinlein's "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" is now technically feasible on film. There've been stirrings in the past about it being impossible to realize on film without x or y techmology. Now that it's possible... I want it goddamnit.
Interesting, I picked up a copy of the book at the Strand Bookstore, just haven't gotten around to reading it.

Xyn

3 letters, 0 meaning
Mar 3, 2005
California
Excuse me while I commit hara-kiri out of shame for the human race.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Is Hollywood so out of ideas that every new movie announcement is a remake or "re-imaging" of a classic? How freaking pathetic!!!! I've read so many SciFi books that would make killer movies. Why hasn't any of them been optioned or picked up?

The talent is out there but the corporate suits are killing the genre.
I heard that they ary trying to make a Thomas Covenant Movie Series