Kevin Smith's "Comic Book Men" on AMC

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
People were talking about it in the Walking Dead thread, I think the consensus was it stunk.
I thought an hour was probably too long, and it was way too scripted reality. At least with Pawn Stars the scripted reality isn't as bad because the items are interesting most of the time, and they're different.

With this show, it's all comic book/toy related, which is fine, but I see it getting old.

The whole thing with the "Bet" at the flea market was lame, and I thought it was odd that they'd go back and forth to the podcast to the show, seemingly just to get Kevin Smith's face on the show.

I'd give it another try, but I thought it stunk

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
People were talking about it in the Walking Dead thread, I think the consensus was it stunk.
I thought an hour was probably too long, and it was way too scripted reality. At least with Pawn Stars the scripted reality isn't as bad because the items are interesting most of the time, and they're different.

With this show, it's all comic book/toy related, which is fine, but I see it getting old.

The whole thing with the "Bet" at the flea market was lame, and I thought it was odd that they'd go back and forth to the podcast to the show, seemingly just to get Kevin Smith's face on the show.

The music did more the further the Pawn Stars-style scripted reality feel than anything. The show would definitely come off as fake to anyone who isn't familiar with the personalities involved. If helps to be a Tell 'Em Steve-Dave! listener because you go in with an emotional investment in those personalities.

Overall, I liked the show, particularly the video podcast sections (although the intercutting was kind of awkward at times) and, of course, Bry and Walt's banter. It's only the first episode so I definitely think it's worth another chance or two. The music probably isn't going away anytime soon, unfortunately.

It was really cool seeing Bryan Johnson and Walter Flanagan on mainstream TV. I'll watch the show just for those two.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio

Yea needs to be 1/2 hour episodes

okterrificsk2

Oct 26, 2004
i watched about 12 minutes and thought it stunk. I watched the part when chunky Gandalf the Grey and short round were trying to sell garbage to suckers. typical nonsense fake stuff we see from every other "we run a business reality show".

The part i actually liked was when they were sitting around just talking about movies and stuff. But isnt there a podcast already for that? dont think that would work for an hour tv show.

Maybe it will help get more podcast listeners and more business to his comic shop but other than that its kind of a let down that hes involved in fake reality nonsense. I know kevin smith has a lot of detractors but hes ok in my book that said when you do this stuff i can understand why he has his detractors.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
i watched about 12 minutes and thought it stunk. I watched the part when chunky Gandalf the Grey and short round were trying to sell garbage to suckers. typical nonsense fake stuff we see from every other "we run a business reality show".
That isn't fake. The competitive part of it might have been but that really is how Walt frequently gets rid of some of the shittier items in the store. The last burn off I heard of was at a minor league baseball game on the local team's first annual comic day.

TJLamb0518

Jumping That Shark....
Nov 8, 2002
East Islip, NY
I like TESD.

This sucked chipmunk testicles.

Far too scripted (wait...no other shoppers or people BUYING stuff? These guys stand around the counter all day until someone comes in, not to BUY something, but to sell?) and I'd have liked it a LOT more if they didn't go to such lengths to shoehorn Kevin Smith in so he can feel a little better about his waning popularity.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I like TESD.

This sucked chipmunk testicles.

Far too scripted (wait...no other shoppers or people BUYING stuff? These guys stand around the counter all day until someone comes in, not to BUY something, but to sell?)
As much as I like the show, you can tell AMC was looking for their own Pawns Stars and changed the show accordingly in development. I hope AMC wises up and backs off that angle.

and I'd have liked it a LOT more if they didn't go to such lengths to shoehorn Kevin Smith in so he can feel a little better about his waning popularity.
I would've liked it less.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
I agree there should be more of both sides of the transactions. Simply showing them buying merchandise from people will get tiresome quickly, especially when the merchandise will be comic/toy related. At least Pawn Stars is open to buying a huge variety of merchandise. Show them selling, or somehow tracking down that elusive find for a collector. I'm mixed on the Podcast segments, they are nice for breaking up the segments and setting up the next one, but it feels forced with Kevin Smith being in there. It would be better if they used the segment to go a bit deeper into what we see happen in the store. Maybe add a footnote about how the manager would've been willing to spend $X for it, or how quick he was able to flip something he bought. Actually this is where Pawn Stars could improve, it doesn't always have to be about buying people's crap. Recently they announced that they had sold the Patriots ring they bought a few episodes ago. I'm guessing there might be an entertaining story behind that they could show.

Konstantin K

Big League Poster
Aug 25, 2010
Walt and Brian seem like interesting guys but I don't like the fake reality bullshit. I'll give it another shot. I did like the segment where the guy wanted like a grand for his Dawn of the Dead junk, that guy was a douche.