Kickstarter to Bring Back Reading Rainbow

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-reading-rainbow-back-for-every-child-everywh

Hi. LeVar Burton here. You may know me as Kunta Kinte, from ROOTS, or Geordi La Forge, from Star Trek: The Next Generation.

You also may have grown up with me on Reading Rainbow.

It was my mother who taught me that, by picking up a book, I could "go anywhere" and "be anything." Ever since Reading Rainbow began in 1983, I have dedicated myself to fostering a love of reading in children, just as my mother did for me.

Over the past year, I have watched Kickstarter bring communities together to support artists and inventors. Again and again, I have been inspired by watching like-minded people team up to accomplish impossible dreams, and to change the world.

Now, I am hoping you will join me on my mission: to bring Reading Rainbow back for every child, everywhere.

As I post this on day three of the drive, they are $31000 away from $3,000,000 donated. They only needed $1,000,000 which they got in less than 24 hours.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
I don't think I've seen one episode of Reading Rainbow. We didn't have cable, so I had to pass the time actually reading books.

lajikal

Has kickstarter actually accomplished anything worthwhile? Or is it just some other reddit hipster jerkoff bullshit.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
Has kickstarter actually accomplished anything worthwhile? Or is it just some other reddit hipster jerkoff bullshit.
Raised 2.7 million for Reading Rainbow in 2 days. Pretty damn good IMO.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
Yeah i know kickstarter has raised money for various shit but has anything come out of it.
According to Wikipedia, these are the top completed projects by funds raised-

Sure, some assholes (Zach Braff) have taken advantage of it, but it seems to work alright.

lajikal

According to Wikipedia, these are the top completed projects by funds raised-

Sure, some assholes (Zach Braff) have taken advantage of it, but it seems to work alright.
Kickstarter launch in 2009, and what is their fully completed marketed/provided showpiece? That i can buy right now. I honestly don't know, maybe some listed there? I haven't heard of any of those. I understand it takes time to r&d, production, etc. and would figure at least the basics were done beforehand. Seems like they would have at least one successful thing to really brag about by now.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Yeah i know kickstarter has raised money for various shit but has anything come out of it.
The top two on that list have had threads here where people bought them;
http://www.wackbag.com/threads/ouya-android-gaming-console-for-less-than-100-and-free-games.145620/

The Ouya thread is great because you can see it before and after the project was completed.

http://www.wackbag.com/threads/anybody-kickstart-the-pebble-smartwatch.151308/

I actually got that Pebble watch and it is pretty cool. Would have posted in the thread but it was a ST thread, God rest his soul...