OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Killing babies no different from abortion, experts say...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by RobeSoup&Tears, Mar 1, 2012.

1. RobeSoup&Tears

RobeSoup&Tears Get 'em while they're hot

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...s-no-different-from-abortion-experts-say.html

Parents should be allowed to have their newborn babies killed because they are “morally irrelevant” and ending their lives is no different to abortion, a group of medical ethicists linked to Oxford University has argued.

[​IMG]

The Article.. http://jme.bmj.com/content/early/2012/02/22/medethics-2011-100411.full.pdf+html

published in the Journal of Medical Ethics, says newborn babies are not “actual persons” and do not have a “moral right to life”. The academics also argue that parents should be able to have their baby killed if it turns out to be disabled when it is born.
    The journal’s editor, Prof Julian Savulescu, director of the Oxford Uehiro Centre for Practical Ethics, said the article's authors had received death threats since publishing the article. He said those who made abusive and threatening posts about the study were “fanatics opposed to the very values of a liberal society”.
    The article, entitled “After-birth abortion: Why should the baby live?”, was written by two of Prof Savulescu’s former associates, Alberto Giubilini and Francesca Minerva.
    They argued: “The moral status of an infant is equivalent to that of a fetus in the sense that both lack those properties that justify the attribution of a right to life to an individual.”
    Rather than being “actual persons”, newborns were “potential persons”. They explained: “Both a fetus and a newborn certainly are human beings and potential persons, but neither is a ‘person’ in the sense of ‘subject of a moral right to life’.

2. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

I see no potential for this thread to go in a negative direction.

3. LiddyRules

LiddyRules I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy

Awww!! Baby five finger death punch!

4. CousinDave

CousinDave Registered User

I've been advocating Post Birth Abortions for years

5. Atomic Fireball

Atomic Fireball Well-Known Member
    Donator

reductio ad absurdum

6. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Great proof of why ivory tower ethics are retarded.

By the way, this is already sorta legal in the Netherlands. At least for terminally ill newborns.

7. OilyJillFart

OilyJillFart Well-Lubed Member

They aren't technically people until language development, might as well use that as the cutoff point..

8. ruckstande

ruckstande Posts mostly from the shitter.

How about until the first report card?

9. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

Fuck that, until they bring home a paycheck.

10. RobeSoup&Tears

RobeSoup&Tears Get 'em while they're hot

Both right.
    While I have a major problem with this and how so called moral ethics keep moving the chains toward the absurd...my barbaric sense of humor wanted to see what us dick bags would post. :haha7:

11. Lord Zero

Lord Zero Viciously Silly

I love your new avatar, RS&T.

12. lockjaaaaww

lockjaaaaww All out of Bubble Gum.

This only makes me like Abortion even more. Now Dead Babies and abortion jokes can finally merge into one category.

13. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

14. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

Hate to launch into a long post after not posting much lately, but I read that horseshit, and I have an opinion on it. So here it is.

Their error is on what rights are and where they come from. They write:
    If that were true, Bill Gates and a bacteria have the same rights, because they both aim to live. Values are those things that further your goals, so death is the loss of the ultimate value for both.

But it's not. First off, rights are not "freedom from harm", as they claim, they are the freedom to act (specifically, the freedom to act without violating the rights of others - this caveat will become relevant in a second). And the reason for rights is the possession of a rational faculty. It gives us the ability to choose and act on our choices. That's the difference between humans and animals. Humans can exercise rights, animals can't. A goat wouldn't have any use for rights, because it can't choose or act on choices. It acts on instinct alone. That's its only choice.

Even a seemingly helpless newborn can exercise its rights, with the aid of a willing adult. If a newborn starts crying within earshot of a fucking nun (or any other species of dogooder), it will get food and be able to continue its rational development (all through which he is exercising some of his rights, even if without significant physical action or an ability to communicate). If someone kills it, that would in fact be a violation of a set of rights he is actively engaged in exercising.

A fetus is not an instinct driven goat either. If its mother is willingly sheltering it within herself, and if it's past the point where his sensory and perception capacities are developed enough, then it's settled: carving it out and killing it against its mother's wishes is a violation of not only the mother's rights, but its right to life. It's murder. On the other hand, if the mother doesn't want the pregnancy, then the fetus does not have a willing adult to help it exercise its rights. And it has no right to anything, if it's at the expense of another person's rights (in this case, the mother's), so abortion should be legal. Including late term abortion.

P.S. That same flawed definition of rights (freedom from harm rather than freedom to act) is used to rationalize the welfare state. If you have a right to be free from harm, then you have the right to be free from famine, the elements, discomfort, etc. In other words, you have the right to food, a house, comfort, etc.

15. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

How if that not the same instinctive drive that a goat would possess?

16. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

I wasn't referring to the crying as an example of a baby exercising rights (although I think crying is an emotional reaction, not instinctive, I don't know enough about it to make definitive claims).

I meant that the baby is already processing information, and forming basic abstractions (probably even in the womb, but definitely once it is born). That process is volitional: choices are being made. If you couple that with an ability to live without relying on the use of force against another rational being, that is how I (and many others, who believe in the concept of "natural rights"), define the act of exercising one's rights. That is, in essence, not different from how an adult is making choices.

17. Lord Zero

Does a baby have it's own credit card? No? Didn't think so. Kill it.

18. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

I think a baby's crying is instinctive. It serves a lot of purposes. Clears fluid out of the lungs at birth, establishes a bond with the mother, etc.

The goat is doing the exact same thing. We're all animals. We just have the ability for more abstract thought, a propensity for being able to use tools, and a stronger language capability. None of which is present in an infant.

19. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

That's harsh. I think we should just wait until we can determine their sexual orientation. :action-sm

20. Lord Zero

"A heterosexual baby? That's a devalued currency, ma'am."

"Off the cliff with it, then?"

"Pretty much."

21. Tennessee Jed

Tennessee Jed The only...

wish i new about this when i was younger. would saved money on a few abortions. DIY post birth abortions would definitely be cheaper.

22. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

Would be a good way to eliminate democrat voters.

I'm just going to assume this is a bunch of attention whore "researchers" that want more funding from the same crowd that claims that the world is overpopulated. The sad thing is, a lot of people would actually support the idea of murdering babies. And not just for the sake of being "shocking" like we see here in every thread like this.

23. Chin nuts

Chin nuts Your breath smells like a dead baby's coffin.

And a lot more fun.

24. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

Is anyone else annoyed by the overexposure in the baby photo?

25. THE FEZ MAN

THE FEZ MAN as a matter of fact i dont have 5$

i see nothing wrong with allowing the parents of a severely disabled baby to have it put down at birth,