Kiss Pork Chops goodbye

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Beef and pork cuts get simplified names
If you’re one of many paralyzed at the meat counter by the seemingly endless array of cuts of red meat, there’s some good news.

In the next few months, when consumers go to their local grocery store they’ll find easier-to-understand names for over 350 cuts of their favorite pork and beef selections.
This is due to a new system that standardizes common red meat cuts, advocated by the National Pork Board and the National Cattlemen's Beef Association and recently cleared by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Reuters reports.
Called the Uniform Retail Meat Identification Standards, or URMIS, it aims to simplify meat cuts by adopting descriptions of cuts people are already familiar from restaurant menus, in the hopes of attracting consumers who opt for more economical cuts of chicken or turkey.
Some of the name changes you should expect to see: “boneless shoulder top blade steak" will become "a flatiron steak". "Beef under blade boneless steak" will become a "Denver steak". “Pork butt” gets the more dignified “Boston roast". “Top sirloin” is now “coulette".
The often anatomical labels were based on lists created in the 1970s, but marketing research conducted by the beef and pork industry showed that consumers were confused with the quality of the meat based on the name.
For those who are traditionalists fear not, labels will feature the old and new names.
Supermarkets should be rolling out the new names this summer, just in time for grilling season.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/04/05/beef-and-pork-cuts-get-simplified-names/#ixzz2PiEtbqjY
We have officially become a nation of dullards.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Whats wrong with the steaks we got? They named pretty guud.

OilyJillFart

Well-Lubed Member
Sep 26, 2008
Ugh, disgusting.
I'm certain this has nothing to do with helping the consumer, as the story implies, but everything to do with lowering standards and fucking the consumer.
Lower quality cuts are going to fit under the new names, count on it.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
...it aims to simplify meat cuts by adopting descriptions of cuts people are already familiar from restaurant menus...
I for one like this, and think they should take it further. Maybe cook the meat for us, and set up some tables so we can eat it right there in the store. Make various drinks and appetizers available, maybe a few sides, and they have a great idea.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
I had a Meat Science class in college. Learned every retail cut in beef, pork and lamb. Learned every muscle name in Latin, too. Now I can axe for a Applebee's Twister or some shit when at the meat counter.

Oh well, when I butcher our own meat, I can still label the package correctly. "Medium size hunk tapering on one end to a point", etc.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
...it aims to simplify meat cuts by adopting descriptions of cuts people are already familiar from restaurant menus...
I'd like one of them Outbacks and a half pound of Applebee patties.

“Pork butt” gets the more dignified “Boston roast".
This is kind of disappointing because I always kind of laugh when I order a Pork or Boston butt. Because I get to say butt.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
I had a Meat Science class in college. Learned every retail cut in beef, pork and lamb. Learned every muscle name in Latin, too. Now I can axe for a Applebee's Twister or some shit when at the meat counter.

Oh well, when I butcher our own meat, I can still label the package correctly. "Medium size hunk tapering on one end to a point", etc.
sounds like a tri tip to me

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I also read that they're changing the name of the T-Bone to Koko.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I also read that they're changing the name of the T-Bone to Koko.

Feb 5, 2003
With a stranger
Who would classify changing "pork butt" to "Boston roast" as "easier to understand?" One tells you exactly what you're getting and the other doesn't even tell you what animal it's from.

nikoloslvy

I wear my sunglasses at night...Anyone want fries?
Donator
May 5, 2003

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
KISS Pork Chops

I know Gene will sell anything, but a Jew and Pork Chops just doesn't seem very Kosher

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Who would classify changing "pork butt" to "Boston roast" as "easier to understand?" One tells you exactly what you're getting and the other doesn't even tell you what animal it's from.
Well, not exactly. Pork Butt is the shoulder. It's also the only animal that the shoulder is called the butt.

This is still retarded.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
Well, not exactly. Pork Butt is the shoulder. It's also the only animal that the shoulder is called the butt.

This is still retarded.
Some black people have a really high butt.

Dikbag

Dec 11, 2004
NW Ohio
I don't know shit about the different cuts of meat, with steaks I just assume the more $ the better the meat. Seems pretty accurate.

I bought meat to make jerky yesterday, they had top round, bottom round, and eye of round. no idea what that's all about, just grabbed whatever had least fat.