Knight Rider to make comeback?

Aug 12, 2005
PA
Just saw this on Comcast.net. http://www.comcast.net/entertainment/index.jsp?fn=2007/09/27/233373.html&cvqh=itn_knightrider

Knight Rider Rides Again
5 hours ago

Though Knight Rider, the movie, has remained stuck in neutral for the better part of the naughties, Knight Rider, the TV show, is revving into high gear.

NBC is bringing back the action show about a man and his motor, testing the waters on a full-fledged series revival with a two-hour TV movie/pilot, which the network will air later this season.

According to Variety, if the telepic is a success—or at the very least, not a complete ratings bomb—the Doug Liman-produced series will go into production for a 2008-09 debut.

NBC Entertainment chief Ben Silverman's idea to revisit the indestructible supercar series was, per the trade, inspired in part by the recent success of Transformers, which may also influence the revived franchise in terms of introducing potentially "evil" cars to do battle against K.I.T.T. complete with cool special effects rather than the camp of its David Hasselhoff-powered '80s forebear.

E! Online Liman may work double-duty to also direct the so-called "backdoor pilot." Raines' Dave Andron has already been tapped to write the inaugural episode.

The premise of the show will essentially remain the same as the original, which centered on a mulleted man righting wrongs with the help of a particularly chatty and souped-up automobile.

Knight Rider chronicled the efforts of Michael Knight, an undercover cop shot in the line of duty and left for dead. After getting a new face and identity, he becomes the lead agent for a dying billionaire's secret Foundation for Law and Government, where he's partnered with the yappy Trans Am, K.I.T.T.

Hasselhoff originated the role during the show's 1982-86 go-round on NBC. No word yet on who will play the hero this time around, but the Peacock is looking for some new blood.

Should the Hoff remain uninvolved in the project, it'll be the second such snub in the past year: The brothers Weinstein snapped up the film rights to Knight Rider in 2006 and Hasselhoff's name has never once been attached, even in cameo form, to the project.

The last time Hasselhoff reprised his role as the crimefighter was back in 1991 for the TV movie Knight Rider 2000. Of course, the Hoff has a full plate for the next year, with his judging gig in NBC's America's Got Talent and a potential lead role in the Ryan Seacrest-produced scripted series Tales from the Hoff, which is in development at E!

And as Variety notes, the new Knight Rider has built-in product placement written all over it, with carmakers likely battling to supply the new lead vehicle.

edzeppe

Dec 11, 2004
I like the notion of introducing evil cars like its a new idea... K.A.R.R. was sweet.

also, didnt they try a syndicated version with Team Knight Rider or something like that... which, if memory serves, included generic athlete black guy (Alvin Mack)

Aug 12, 2005
PA
This was one of my favorite shows growing up so I'm torn. I'm interested to see how they pull it off. But I'm also a purist. Then again I loved the new Transformers movie so if this is well done I'm sure I'd love this too.

I like the notion of introducing evil cars like its a new idea... K.A.R.R. was sweet.

also, didnt they try a syndicated version with Team Knight Rider or something like that... which, if memory serves, included generic athlete black guy (Alvin Mack)
You would be correct sir. http://imdb.com/title/tt0127398/ I remember watching this show too.

Aug 5, 2004
I f'ing loved Knight Rider growing up.. I'd give this new one a chance.

Fr. Dougal

Feb 17, 2004
K.I.T.T.: Knight Industries Two Thousand.

Now... 10 bonus Wackbag Genius points to the person who knows what K.A.R.R. stood for. :)

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
I'm kinda torn also. I loved the original series, but it just seems like no one from the original series will be tied to this one and there may be no connection between the two series. It's not necessarily a bad thing...but with alot of these "remakes of classics" that are done, it could very well be a disappointment. I could really care less if the Hoff is in it or not...and Edward Mulhare passed away so that's done. And William Daniels has got to be like, 80 or something and probably not interested.

I'll check it out though. Hopefully they don't butcher the original series.

Jerry1

Megatron Star!
Jan 26, 2006
Brooklyn, New York
Well, with today's special effects compared to the effects of 1984 this should be interesting. I'll check it out!

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Well, with today's special effects compared to the effects of 1984 this should be interesting. I'll check it out!
The original series was legendary for flubs and obvious inaccuracies. Even when KITT was driving on Auto, you can still see someone hiding behind the wheel. And the hollowed out Trans Am model they would launch in the air during Turbo Boost sometimes appeared very fake. But I think it was ahead of it's time for early-mid 80's standards.

If done right, this new series could work. The main problem I have is if it becomes too science-fictiony. Glen Larson created the original with the intent to make the storyline seem like this could happen in real life. He never took it to an extreme where the viewer sits there and says, "That would never happen!". Take Sliders for example...the first few seasons of "sliding" to other dimensions seemed like it could be possible in real life. But then they started introducing some evil slider aliens called Kromags and they just totally lost me. That's what I'm afriad will happen with this new series...especially when they talk about having other intelligent supercars roaming around the streets causing a raucous.

martianvirus

READY THE ANALPROBES!!!!!!!!
Nov 20, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
The main problem I have is if it becomes too science-fictiony. Glen Larson created the original with the intent to make the storyline seem like this could happen in real life. ....
Most science fiction can happen in real life. Dr Michio Kaku even talks about how the warp drive and transporter from Star Trek is possible. They also believe that wormholes like in Stargate is possible.

Jerry1

Megatron Star!
Jan 26, 2006
Brooklyn, New York
The original series was legendary for flubs and obvious inaccuracies. Even when KITT was driving on Auto, you can still see someone hiding behind the wheel. And the hollowed out Trans Am model they would launch in the air during Turbo Boost sometimes appeared very fake. But I think it was ahead of it's time for early-mid 80's standards.

If done right, this new series could work. The main problem I have is if it becomes too science-fictiony. Glen Larson created the original with the intent to make the storyline seem like this could happen in real life. He never took it to an extreme where the viewer sits there and says, "That would never happen!". Take Sliders for example...the first few seasons of "sliding" to other dimensions seemed like it could be possible in real life. But then they started introducing some evil slider aliens called Kromags and they just totally lost me. That's what I'm afriad will happen with this new series...especially when they talk about having other intelligent supercars roaming around the streets causing a raucous.
Well, having the supercars is a good thing but not if they over do it. The idea of KARR and Goliath from the series was to place Kitt against an equal or someone who could destroy him. Much like Superman and Doomsday or Batman and Bane.
If they keep the same formula as the original, one man making a difference, and putting it in real world situations with an occasional KARR or Goliath thrown here or there to spice things up, it may actually work out.

Bill Lehecka

The Fat Horse v. 2.0
Donator
Dec 8, 2004
Cohoes, NY
I have crap in my car now that is far more advanced than what was in K.I.T.T (GPS, Satellite Radio, Flat Screens, Wireless internet). A Knight Rider for this century would just add to the permutation and make the car really kick ass.

I just wish I had Turbo Boost.

Funny thought: Xzibit's Crew could create the new K.I.T.T. (Would it now stand for Knight Industries Three Thousand?)

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Well, having the supercars is a good thing but not if they over do it. The idea of KARR and Goliath from the series was to place Kitt against an equal or someone who could destroy him. Much like Superman and Doomsday or Batman and Bane.
If they keep the same formula as the original, one man making a difference, and putting it in real world situations with an occasional KARR or Goliath thrown here or there to spice things up, it may actually work out.
Right on. It just kinda scares me when they say they will pit evil cars against KITT and it makes it sound like it will be an every episode kinda thing. It just makes me think that there will be some sort of army of evil cars that will come out of nowhere and kill people and robbing banks and each car has different personality and they all just communicate each other and KITT steps in to try and stop it each episode. I dunno, it's the exact thing that Glen Larson tried to avoid with the original series. He was able to create Goliath and KARR and tie them into the story perfectly (KARR being a KITT prototype and Goliath being Garth Knight's creation after stealing the molecular bonded shell). Damn, why do I still remember this crap?

the far side

Jul 6, 2006
Brick NJ
:icon_mrgr:icon_mrgrWell hopefully if it happens they wont use some faggy car like a Prius or a shitty SUV wannbe a real car. It must be a shiny red Shelby

Jerry1

Megatron Star!
Jan 26, 2006
Brooklyn, New York
Right on. It just kinda scares me when they say they will pit evil cars against KITT and it makes it sound like it will be an every episode kinda thing. It just makes me think that there will be some sort of army of evil cars that will come out of nowhere and kill people and robbing banks and each car has different personality and they all just communicate each other and KITT steps in to try and stop it each episode. I dunno, it's the exact thing that Glen Larson tried to avoid with the original series. He was able to create Goliath and KARR and tie them into the story perfectly (KARR being a KITT prototype and Goliath being Garth Knight's creation after stealing the molecular bonded shell). Damn, why do I still remember this crap?
Funny thing is that Garth Knight was the evil version of Micheal Knight. Hence the Star Trek Mirror Universe goatee.

Well, the article mentions thay may have other supercars but it also said it will keep the same premise as the original. I do remember a number of foes besides KARR & Goliath. One episode had an advanced attack helicopter while another had missile armed Ford Thunderbirds.
Wait and see.....

My question is are they going to use a new version of the Trans Am??

Zona992006

New Wackbag
Jan 26, 2007
Now I cant get that damn theme song out of my head!

Jerry1

Megatron Star!
Jan 26, 2006
Brooklyn, New York
This just in from NY Daily News:

Soap star is named new 'Knight Rider'

Monday, November 5th 2007, 4:00 AM

"All My Children" actor Justin Bruening has landed the lead role in NBC's upcoming "Knight Rider" movie. Bruening will play the son of Michael Knight, David Hasselhoff's character in the original 1980s series.

The two-hour, small-screen sequel, set to air later this season, could serve as a pilot should the network decide to turn it into a series.

"Knight Rider" aired from 1982 to 1986 on NBC and starred Hasselhoff as an undercover police officer who was shot in the face. After recovering, he was given a new face and new identity - and "armed" with a talking Pontiac Trans Am to fight crime. William Daniels provided the voice of the car.Cristina Kinon
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2007/11/05/2007-11-05_soap_star_is_named_new_knight_rider.html

Well, David Hasselhoff was a doctor on General Hospital when he got the part for Knight Rider...so that makes sense.
I don't know about this son thing though...Knight Rider:The Next Generation?

This could mean that the "Hoff" may make a cameo....