L.A. County Bans Plastic Bags in Stores

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
LA County Plastic Bag Ban Starts Friday

Updated: Tuesday, 28 Jun 2011, 4:48 PM PDT
Published : Tuesday, 28 Jun 2011, 4:48 PM PDT

Los Angeles - Los Angeles County's ban on plastic bags, to be enforced in unincorporated areas of the county, will take effect Friday.

"To help make the transition easier for consumers, we've been giving away hundreds of free canvas bags at participating supermarkets across L.A. County through the month of June," Supervisor Gloria Molina said. "It's our way of encouraging everyone to do what's right for the environment."

Molina, who created a program to encourage thousands of students to persuade their families to cut down on the use of plastic bags, will host one final giveaway at 2 p.m. tomorrow at El Super, 3405 E. Cesar Chavez Ave. in East Los Angeles.

The ban, instituted last November, aims to reduce by 50 percent the number of plastic bags that wind up in landfills, river beds and other areas of the county. It will be phased in, effective at big grocery chains Friday and expanded to cover every store subject to the ordinance by January. It will not apply to restaurant carryout operations or food trucks.

Shoppers in the affected areas will have to pay 10 cents for a recyclable paper bag, though customers who receive food stamps will get a paper bag for free.

The nonprofit environmental group Heal the Bay estimates that California spends $25 million annually collecting and disposing of plastic bags. Only 5 percent are recycled. Some area cities, including Santa Monica and Malibu, have instituted similar bans, but many residents within the county will still be asked, "paper or plastic," after the county's ban takes effect.

http://www.myfoxla.com/dpp/news/local/plastic-bag-ban-los-angeles-county-20110628#ixzz1Qtejbqww
Feel sorry for the stores that live on the borders where these things are still legal...

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
This is pure idiocy. I did a report on this horseshit for an environmental science class, and it turns out that often paper bags and cloth bags are actually worse for the environment. Plus, no one ever washes these reusable bags, so they are germ and virus factories.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
If they do that around here I'm screwed. I use them to clean up the dog
shit when I walk the big mutt. Fucking environmental fairies.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
I don't get the reason for this only applying in "unincorporated" parts of the county. How can they justify that, as opposed to a simple county-wide ordnance?

Oct 8, 2005
Reality
They will have to pay 10 cents for a paper bag? Sounds like a new tax, oh well its California's own fault for voting in big government democrats. The people get what they deserve.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
They will have to pay 10 cents for a paper bag? Sounds like a new tax, oh well its California's own fault for voting in big government democrats. The people get what they deserve.
They also voted in Arnold Schwarzenegger, I dont think its a matter of who they vote in.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
The globalists are pleased with this development (except the ones who own the big plastic bag manufacturers)

Oct 8, 2005
Reality
The globalists are pleased with this development (except the ones who own the big plastic bag manufacturers)
They get you hooked on something and then they say you can't have it or they tax you for it once you can't do without it.

[video=youtube;7fqCS7Y_kME]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fqCS7Y_kME[/video]

Funny how things are still the same.

Plunkies

Jun 28, 2006
This is pure idiocy. I did a report on this horseshit for an environmental science class, and it turns out that often paper bags and cloth bags are actually worse for the environment. Plus, no one ever washes these reusable bags, so they are germ and virus factories.
Yeah, plastic bags are actually better. You'd have to use those canvas bags 4 years straight to make up for the fact that it costs like 200 times the energy to make and are shipped from china. The vast majority of people just forget the things after they use them once. And you'd have to reuse a paper bag 3 times for every one plastic, which no one would ever do. Both take much longer to decompose than plastic bags.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
They get you hooked on something and then they say you can't have it or they tax you for it once you can't do without it.
You forgot the "video is unrelated" part in your post.

Madness

Dec 9, 2004
If they do that around here I'm screwed. I use them to clean up the dog
shit when I walk the big mutt. Fucking environmental fairies.
I use them to take my lunch to work.

Guilty Spark

It's freeing and refreshing
May 4, 2005
Long Island NY
If they really wanted to improve the environment they'd build a wall around east LA

Warfarer

I can't think of anything funny.
Jun 20, 2005
Alabama
I'm confused, how does affect the fact that their state is in like 10 billion dollars in debt and backrupt? If I were them, I would cut out all the frivolous bullshit and focus on getting the state back in shape.

Aug 11, 2005
I'm confused, how does affect the fact that their state is in like 10 billion dollars in debt and backrupt? If I were them, I would cut out all the frivolous bullshit and focus on getting the state back in shape.
Women in politics

yeah I'm old school... they are dumb as shit!!!!

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
"To help make the transition easier for consumers, we've been giving away hundreds of free canvas bags at participating supermarkets across L.A. County through the month of June," Supervisor Gloria Molina said.
I don't have the exact figures available, Gloria, but I bet L.A. County uses several thousand plastic bags every day. Your hundreds of canvas bags aren't a pimple on the plastic bags' ass. But it makes you feel good, which is the main thing.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
You all have the government you deserve.