Philly
LA archdiocese agrees $660m payout for sex abuse victims

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]· Judge to be asked to approve largest award
· Agreement made shortly before costly civil trials
[/FONT]

[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif] Suzanne Goldenberg in Washington
Monday July 16, 2007
The Guardian

[/FONT] A judge in California will be asked today to approve a $660m (£325m) settlement between the Archdiocese of Los Angeles and hundreds of people who say they were assaulted by predatory priests - the largest single such award since the scandal over widespread sexual abuse in the Roman Catholic church came to light.The settlement will close a chapter on one of the most painful stories of church history in America's largest diocese by resolving 570 claims of abuse allegedly carried out by more than 220 priests, teachers and other employees over several decades. The deal is to be presented today to the Los Angeles superior court judge Haley Fromholz, who was scheduled to try the first in a series of civil cases brought against the church.
Under the deal, each of the alleged victims - some of whose allegations stretch back 70 years - will receive $1.3m. "This is a downpayment on that debt long overdue," Raymond Boucher, a lawyer for the victims, told the Los Angeles Times.The deal comes at a high cost to the church. The settlement tentatively agreed on Saturday is far greater than those reached by jurisdictions in Boston, where authorities paid out $84m in 2003, and Portland, Oregon, where the archdiocese agreed this year to pay $52m.
It raises the total the Catholic church has had to pay out to settle claims of abuse to more than $2bn. The demands for retribution led five dioceses to apply for bankruptcy protection, and forced church authorities to close churches and schools, and sell off property across the US.
Advocacy groups called the settlement in Los Angeles a vindication for victims of abuse after decades of silence - and in some cases complicity - by church authorities. The Los Angeles Times reported yesterday that some 75% of parishes in the archdiocese had been served at some point over the years by a priest accused of sexual abuse.
The settlement appears to have been reached with a view to forestalling the series of civil trials, which could have exposed the church to an even costlier outcome. The Archbishop of Los Angeles, Cardinal Roger Mahony, had been scheduled to testify at one of the trials.
"This settlement was reached on the eve of a trial that would have forced Cardinal Mahony and other church leaders to take the witness stand under oath and tell the court how much they knew and how little they did," Barbara Blaine, president of the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, told the Guardian.
The settlement also requires the church to release confidential personnel files of priests following their review by a judge. The move is an important concession to activists who say the documents could expose whether church authorities took measures in the past to shield priests.
The payment agreed on Saturday does not include certain Catholic orders in the archdiocese, such as the Servites, Claretians and Oblates, which had refused to participate.
Unlike other states, judges in California had allowed four people who say they have been abused by priests to seek punitive damages, which could have potentially exposed the church to tens of millions of dollars in payouts.

Big settlements

· Archdiocese of Los Angeles, 2007, agrees to pay at least $600m to about 500 people

· Diocese of Orange, California, 2004, $100m for 90 abuse claims

· Diocese of Covington, Kentucky, 2006, up to $84m for more than 350 people

· Archdiocese of Boston, 2003, $84m for 552 claims

· Diocese of Oakland, California, 2005, $56m to 56 people

· Archdiocese of Portland, Oregon, 2007, agrees to pay about $52m to 175 victims to emerge from bankruptcy protection

· Diocese of Spokane, Washington, 2007, to pay $48m for about 150 claims to emerge from bankruptcy protection

· Archdiocese of Louisville, Kentucky, 2003, $25.7m to 243 victims

Associated Press
http://www.guardian.co.uk/religion/Story/0,,2127265,00.html

Plunkies

Jun 28, 2006
[yt]VABSoHYQr6k[/yt]

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
Jun 9, 2005
New York
Wonder how much they would have had to pay out if they had lost these people's pants?

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
What does the settlement average out on a cost per load basis? "whaa"

WhiskeyWhispers

I Want To Kill You All
Mar 11, 2007
Jersey
I just remembered, my priest fucked me when I was a boy.
Ca-Ching!

Seriously though, the church needs to let these guys fuck women. You cannot take away the number one thing that men live for and not expect some sort of sick perversion to arise from the lack of it. I think it would also cut down the number of pedo-homos who become priests to fuck altar boys.

SKEPTIC

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
May 12, 2007
1060 W. Addison St., Chicago, Illinois, 60613
[yt]VABSoHYQr6k[/yt]
:jump:jump:jump

Holy shit, Plunkies. That was hilarious. Thanks for embedding that.
BTW, did you ever hear Louis C.K. vs. Bill Donahue (Catholic League) on O&A? It was classic. I think it was within the last year or so.

PDX909

May 12, 2007
Portland, OR
wow, those poor bastards in Louisville and Boston got fucked twice.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
fuck the church, i hope the lawyers run them dry, it serves them right. to get fucked buy the new "church of law" ha ha ha