Language Ponderings

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
@Neckbeard has been trying to get people to play D&D. I'm pretty sure I could do that stoned.
You could always pick up a heroin habbit. between calling around look, driving to the pick up and back, then actually doing it you could call it a hobby. Even before you get high you've killed a couple hours easy. That's been the hardest thing for me. Now that I'm not getting high I have so much free time on my hands I don't know what to do

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
You could always pick up a heroin habbit. between calling around look, driving to the pick up and back, then actually doing it you could call it a hobby. Even before you get high you've killed a couple hours easy. That's been the hardest thing for me. Now that I'm not getting high I have so much free time on my hands I don't know what to do
That sounds like too much work. Addictions with travel times are no fun. Maybe I'll just play video games.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
That sounds like too much work. Addictions with travel times are no fun. Maybe I'll just play video games.
Nah you gotta be drunk to be any good at them as well

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Nah you gotta be drunk to be any good at them as well
Nah, stoned works fine for most games, better for others. My fast-twitch gaming will suffer. CoD is right the fuck out.

SKEPTIC

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.

SKEPTIC

Benjamin Lee Whorf, a 20th-century linguist, argued that speakers of different languages perceive and understand the world differently—that language determines thought. If this is the case then writing in a foreign language offers writers not just new words but new ideas, a different way of interpreting experience altogether. Whorf’s theory is controversial. Some experts contend that it is more a matter of influence—that English doesn’t force you to think differently from Russian, for instance, but that the languages have different associations and so different effects on your mind. Since language is the medium through which writers represent the world, it is hard to discount the idea that a new language opens them up to new modes of representation.
Why do writers abandon their native language?

ChimneyFish

Believe it or not, it's just meeee
In English what inventiword* would you use to describe someone so fat and lazy that they got around solely via scooter.

via Urban Dictionary there is Walmart Fat Scooter:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Walmart Fat Scooter

The listed synonym "lardcart" comes closest to what I'm looking for, which would make the fattie a "lardcarter."

Any other suggestions?

*http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neologism
Although usually referring to a very big car(think 70's Caddy), I think the term "Landbarge" would work.
I was thinking of Jabba's Sailbarge when I read this post.

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
01001000 01110101 01101101 01100001 01101110 01110011 00100000 01101000 01100001 01110110 01100101 00100000 01100001 00100000 01101000 01100001 01110010 01100100 00100000 01110100 01101001 01101101 01100101 00100000 01100011 01101111 01101101 01110000 01110010 01100101 01101000 01100101 01101110 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01100010 01100101 01100001 01110101 01110100 01111001 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01100010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00101110 00100000

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Thanks, Norm. That was actually great. Watched the whole think and discovered ANKI. Very helpful.
You're welcome. Everything he says is right on, in my experience. One small exception (though he doesn't actually say you should do this), he talks about people who drill high frequency vocab with Anki. But that's not how most people use Anki...I, and most people I talked to who know what they're doing, actually drill example sentences (with those most frequent 4-5000 words in them), not words, and the sentences have audio to go along with them, read by a native speaker. It's much easier, and it also gets you started with those collocations he talks about.

In general, you can find Anki decks like that, online (not always on the official Anki site...a lot of the decks are made from example sentences found in published manuals, so they get taken down by the copyright holder...but you can find them on language learning forums, with google search or by posting and asking, and add them to Anki manually). I only used Anki for Japanese, but it's getting pretty popular with other languages too these days, so I'm sure you can find decks for any popular language.

Last edited:

DrewDown

All are welcome
You're welcome. Everything he says is right on, in my experience. One small exception (though he doesn't actually say you should do this), he talks about people who drill high frequency vocab with Anki. But that's not how most people use Anki...I, and most people I talked to who know what they're doing, actually drill example sentences (with those most frequent 4-5000 words in them), not words, and the sentences have audio to go along with them, read by a native speaker. It's much easier, and it also gets you started with those collocations he talks about.

In general, you can find Anki decks like that, online (not always on the official Anki site...a lot of the decks are made from example sentences found in published manuals, so they get taken down by the copyright holder...but you can find them on language learning forums, with google search or by posting and asking, and add them to Anki manually). I only used Anki for Japanese, but it's getting pretty popular with other languages too these days, so I'm sure you can find decks for any popular language.
Sentences are definitely best, if you have the time to enter them. I'm working on Icelandic right now, so hoping to find a deck later today. If not, I'll be entering a lot on my own.

Do you know if you can build the deck on the computer and then transfer to the app?

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Sentences are definitely best, if you have the time to enter them. I'm working on Icelandic right now, so hoping to find a deck later today. If not, I'll be entering a lot on my own.

Do you know if you can build the deck on the computer and then transfer to the app?
You can. The easiest way to do it is to just sign up for a free AnkiWeb account (ankiweb.net). It backs up your decks online, and it also allows you to automatically sync your decks between multiple devices...you just sign into the same account from every device, make sure "automatic syncing on open and close" is set, and that's it.

SKEPTIC

@HandPanzer

Οὖτις ἐμοί γ' ὄνομα

Epic reference.

Literally!

SKEPTIC

If a chick you're dating ghosts you, but you're able to bring her back to life, what do you call her?

Perhaps . . . "zombie?"

usage:

"That bitch totally ghosted me, but then I zombified her."

SKEPTIC

Spanish and Italian are close enough to be the same language IMO

Different dialects of the same language.

Last edited:

SKEPTIC

5 billion views. Holy fuck.

SKEPTIC

Animated lyrics. Cool for language learning:

SKEPTIC

How ya feelin' now, bitch? hahaha (or jajaja)

SKEPTIC

A Spanish song about dancing? Shocking.

SKEPTIC

Wow.

Lyrics (Spanish)

"Silencio"
(feat. Josh Groban)

[Nelly Furtado:]
Aire, viento y en mi Alma
El fuego se ahoga Y solo queda el frio
sin destino y a paso muy lento
Llevo debil el peso de un tormento

[Chorus Nelly & Josh:]
Si tu no estas aqui, no hay manera de existir
Tengo que despertar tengo que revivir