Lanscaping Ideas

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
Im not one to make announcements, but I, along with my soon-to-be-wife-person, purchased a home and made settlement this past Friday.

Fun stuff....living the American dream, right? I own a piece of Earth, that's what's cool to me.

Anyway, in 2 days (after living here for 3 years as a rental tenant) - my garage door got all fucked up and I broke one of the underground PVC gutter drain pipes with a shovel while trying to remove a Dwarf Alberta Spruce... why's that type of shit always happen?

which brings me to the point of this thread.

I removed all of the landscaping that was within 6 feet of the house. The owner, who is an old-school Eye-Talian, planted the worst shit on this property and I never maintained it while renting.

Stupid stuff, like Crepe Myrtles, a huge blue Spurce, Dwarf Spruces, Rose Bushes, a Holly Tree, 2 Beechwoods, Japanese Maples, Dogwoods (2 of them) and 3 GIANT pin oaks in the rear that are 100-75-60 feet tall. You couldn't even see the front of the house. I have a tree company coming out to deadwood and trim the oaks tomorrow, at the sellers expense as part of my negotiations.

Right now Im basically looking for ideas of things to plant in the flower beds right next to house. Modern stuff, nothing that will grow to 10 feet tall. Im thinking some shrub type plants closest to the house, with some smaller plants with some color in the front.

I don't know what I want, annuals or perrenials, so you tell me. Maybe I want both, I don't know...but I went to Home Depot today and didn't really think anything was all that great.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
Ideally you want a 1ft buffer of NOTHING along your house/foundation...put down crushed stone, pieces large enough that they won't blow around with a leaf blower...and then landscape edging and then your mulch beds for your flowers....If you are looking for seasonal flowers that bloom at different times (I don't know where you live) but in the northeast...a very fun thing to do is to find native plants to use in your garden. It's a cool challenge...I have lots of different flowers around the house that bloom at different times and have different sun/shade needs....Hostas are cool..they attract hummingbirds and come in many sizes/flowers/leaf shapes...I have 2 varieties at my house. They grow about 2.5 to 3 feet tall and spread wide. They don't require a lot of sun or water...

...Hydrangeas are cool...you can change their color...pink...purple...white by messing with the soil pH.

Forsythia is a nice shrub if you keep it under control...It will grow in very full after a few years and have great yellow flowers for 2 months...

Any kind of echinacea...they have really nice flowers...they are good in small controlled beds...around a mail box or in a small pot...

I would really suggest native plants though...it's the most impressive way to manage landscaping..

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
I own a piece of Earth, that's what's cool to me.
Skip your property taxes for a few years to see who really owns it.

Mommadeez4u

Bastard coated bastard w/ bastard filling
Mar 26, 2005
Washington, DC
I'm a landscape architect (it's like being a marine biologist), if you want help pm me your contact info, I can either just give you a list of shrubs and perennials that meet your criteria or sketch something up that shows what goes where.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
if the former owner was anything like a real eyetalian, he would have had the whole place poured in concrete

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Check out this lanscaping. Spoilers for size.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I would have kept the Japanese maples and the holly tree... Maybe move them if they were too close to the house. The rest, meh.

Spruces are good on property lines and such for privacy. But you did the right thing clearing stuff away from the house.

Put a butterfly bush in the front yard, heck, put one in the back yard too. They look cool when in bloom and attract butterflies, hummingbirds, and such. Women seem to like them. Our neighbors had one and my wife loved it when I got one for her at our old place. She actually wanted me to dig it up when we moved. The fucking thing came in a 5 gallon pot when I bought it. It was in the ground for five years and was probably 8 feet high and 6 feet across when we left for Florida.

Rash Rendering

Feb 9, 2010
Relevant to my interests. I'll soon be moving to a new house with 5 acres of North Carolina woods to play with. My only experience with landscaping is mowing and trimming branches... can't wait to turn the yard into something cool.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
I cut all the trees down, planted flowers in some flower boxes
in front of the house on top of cedar chips so I don't have to
plant shit and can just throw them out in the fall.

Low maintenance all the way.

I also set the lawn tractor to "dirt" so I can go longer
in the summer without cutting the grass. ;)

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
Relevant to my interests. I'll soon be moving to a new house with 5 acres of North Carolina woods to play with. My only experience with landscaping is mowing and trimming branches... can't wait to turn the yard into something cool.

If you build a pergola , I will come down there and kill you
Just Sayin'

I hate pergolas

Otherwise , Congrats and Good Luck

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
I would have kept the Japanese maples and the holly tree... Maybe move them if they were too close to the house.

It was a shame to cut down the maples...they are valuable and appealing ornamental trees...I have one that must be 20+ years old in the back corner of my lot..It had a tree fall on it about 10 years ago that caused it to grow in a very unique horizontal way until the large branch fell off....But it's in a secluded corner of my property well back in the woods with no hope of ever moving it...I have thought about making some kind of a sitting/reading area with some pavers and clearing it out...or putting a dirt basketball court next to it..

doomvulture

Lord of Jailbait
May 12, 2009
Maine
Hot top the whole fucking thing. Or concrete. I hate grass. I just have to keep mowing it. It makes me sneeze. Plain dirt makes a mess.

Rash Rendering

Feb 9, 2010
If you build a pergola , I will come down there and kill you
Just Sayin'

I hate pergolas

Otherwise , Congrats and Good Luck
Thanks. I definitely won't be making a pergola. I never understood why anyone would since they offer no shade or shelter and only seem to attract wasps/nests.

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
My house isn't all poured concrete, but it has it's fair share of lattice and concrete paver blocks around the entire perimeter.

Its also got green astro turf glued to the concrete front patio, and everything is painted white.

I just cut down a fig tree that was growing out of control on the side of the property. Im slowly getting my yard back.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Be wary of bermuda grass. It's very popular down here and I fuckin hate it. It does very well with little water and alot of sun...but it'll grow in "vines" that will grow into gardens and it's just a pain in the ass to remove. I had a plush, St. Augustine style grass...and my neighbor's cheap fuckin bermuda invaded my grass. Within 3 years, the bermuda grass had taken over 80% of my lawn. Ridiculous.

Also, crepe myrtles are like, the signature tree of the Carolinas. I don't have any, but they look pretty nice.

Rash Rendering

Feb 9, 2010
Be wary of bermuda grass. It's very popular down here and I fuckin hate it. It does very well with little water and alot of sun...but it'll grow in "vines" that will grow into gardens and it's just a pain in the ass to remove. I had a plush, St. Augustine style grass...and my neighbor's cheap fuckin bermuda invaded my grass. Within 3 years, the bermuda grass had taken over 80% of my lawn. Ridiculous.

Also, crepe myrtles are like, the signature tree of the Carolinas. I don't have any, but they look pretty nice.
Had to google image bermuda grass and recognized it immediately. It's all over the house I'm currently renting. Removing it is near impossible.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Had to google image bermuda grass and recognized it immediately. It's all over the house I'm currently renting. Removing it is near impossible.
Yup...only way to truly remove it, is to use roundup on your entire lawn. And even then, no matter what you lay down...if your neighbors got bermuda, it'll eventually take over again within a few years. It's a very resilient grass, but it goes dormant from like, October thru June...and it'll literally turn unsightly brownish-white for the entire time. And from June thru September, that shit will grow those fuckin wirey vines everywhere.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I got Bermuda grass here. It's what everyone has around me. It's even on the golf course behind me. I'm stuck with it because, it'll just take over again no matter what I do.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Forsythia is a nice shrub if you keep it under control...It will grow in very full after a few years and have great yellow flowers for 2 months...

KEEP IT IN CHECK!!! it will grow like a weed!!!!
Butterfly bushes smell good and attract butterflies, but grow like weeds too. Hosta supposedly is a plant deer don't like to eat.