LAPD Uses Public Funds for 'Muslim Affairs' Unit

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
http://amyalkon.mensnewsdaily.com/2...-department-has-a-muslim-public-affairs-unit/

LA Sheriff's Department Has A Muslim Public Affairs Unit
It's paid for with public funds.

Separation of mosque and state, anyone?

More about the LASD's Muslim Community Affairs Unit from TheUnitedWest.com, via a somewhat sloppily written piece on their site:

Steve Whitmore, LASD Senior Media Advisor, confirmed the Muslim Community Affairs Unit receives taxpayer funds approximating $128,400 per year for two full time Deputies. When this reporter asked Mr. Whitmore if any other , religions, had a LASD Community Affairs Unit and received equal taxpayer funds, Whitmore replied, "There are no other religious Community Affairs Units in the Los Angeles Sheriffs Department."

For the LASD to meet the Establishment Clause threshold for "government neutrality toward religion" Sheriff Baca would have two options. First, Sheriff Baca would have to establish and manage Community Affairs Units with two Deputies and a $128,400 budget, for each recognized religion under his jurisdiction. The second option would be to dismantle the Muslim Community Affairs Unit in accordance with the Establishment Clause.

...The MCAU has another function, "The unit also trains department members about Islam and Muslims, touching on issues such as religious beliefs and customs. Academy recruits also receive a two-hour class on Muslim cultures and background as part of the cultural awareness training program." A program tasked with teaching Shariah Compliant Islamic values to incoming police recruits, while excluding the values of every other religion in Los Angeles County.

...A 2008 Pew Research Center survey reveals the citizens of California are 42% various Christian denominations, 31% Roman Catholic Christians, 2% Jewish, 2% Latter Day Saints, and 1% Muslim. The rest of the citizens are either non religious or of other minority faiths.

"According to the latest hate crime report from the Los Angeles County Commission on Human Relations, 88 percent of all religiously based hate crimes in 2009 were against Jews. Hate crimes that targeted Muslims (3 percent) ranked slightly above those directed at Scientologists (1 percent). In fact, the commission found that attacks against Christians (8 percent) outnumbered attacks against Muslims." It could be argued statistically, that if any religion needs a LA Sheriff's special religious Community Affairs Unit, it's the Jews and Christians not the Muslims.

Terry Sanderson states, "if there is one public service that absolutely must be secular it is the police force. There should be not one whisper of sectarianism in the force and all this talk of Muslim police officers must stop. They are police officers who are Muslim, but when they are at work they must be simply police officers full stop. They must serve the whole community without fear or favor. This goes also for police officers who are Christian, Hindu, Atheist or indifferent."

Here's video on this:

[video=youtube;1x7C8P_Hu6g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x7C8P_Hu6g[/video]

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
The lead detective

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Um, I may be mistaken here, but the establishment clause reads as "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion..."

So unless those are federally collected taxpayer funds, as far as I can tell they don't violate the establishment clause, since the program was enacted by a county in California.

It's fucking stupid, but I don't see it as being unconstitutional, unless I am missing something.

Again, this is based on the assumption that it's not federal money. The article wasn't very clear regarding where the funds came from.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
Um, I may be mistaken here, but the establishment clause reads as "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion..."

So unless those are federally collected taxpayer funds, as far as I can tell they don't violate the establishment clause, since the program was enacted by a county in California.

It's fucking stupid, but I don't see it as being unconstitutional, unless I am missing something.

Again, this is based on the assumption that it's not federal money. The article wasn't very clear regarding where the funds came from.
No, dummy. From the 14th Amendment:
No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States
In other words, the rights provided in the Constitution & Bill of Rights apply at the state & local levels as well. They kinda fucked that up when it comes to the 2nd amendment, but that's another thread.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California

In other words, the rights provided in the Constitution & Bill of Rights apply at the state & local levels as well. They kinda fucked that up when it comes to the 2nd amendment, but that's another thread.
Again, I'm still not sure this is unconstitutional. The question is does the combination of the 1st and 14th Amendment prevent a county Sheriff's office from creating an internal directive, concerning internal policies, using funds collected through local taxes?

Somehow President Obama got away with using NASA to further relations with Muslims a while back, if I recall correctly (didn't pay attention to the story). Anyway, gotta go to work but I'll look into this a little later.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA

It'll be this thread in about two pages.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State

I love when an article starts out slamming another one for being "sloppily written" and then is guilty of it too. So apparently it's not just atheists who are ignorant of what the First Amendment's freedom of religion is and how it relates to an "establishment" of a religion.

And is this really that fauxrageous? Our military is provided the same types of training using federal funds. I've got no problem with this if it's designed to sniff out potential terrorists.

ShiftyMH

May 31, 2004
There should be a law enforcement agency which specializes in Muslims.

...one which investigates them.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio

ummmm states are are subjective to the US Constitution, it is the highest law in the country

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
ummmm states are are subjective to the US Constitution, it is the highest law in the country
I understand that, and absolutely admit I may be wrong, but from the way the story is worded this is basically an "outreach" program aimed at a minority segment of the population. The federal government does this type of shit all the time. There are "Native American" programs in place like this where I live operated by the Sheriff's department.

I simply don't really understand the article. It is very badly written. I'd like to know a)where the funds came from, and b)what is the objective (simply reaching out to Muslims, providing services solely to Muslims, etc).

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
I understand that, and absolutely admit I may be wrong, but from the way the story is worded this is basically an "outreach" program aimed at a minority segment of the population. The federal government does this type of shit all the time. There are "Native American" programs in place like this where I live operated by the Sheriff's department.

I simply don't really understand the article. It is very badly written. I'd like to know a)where the funds came from, and b)what is the objective (simply reaching out to Muslims, providing services solely to Muslims, etc).
I was thinking the same... I don't really see how this is all that different than the whole NASA reaching out to Islam thing, or even having undercover officers who would obviously have to fit a specific racial profile.

This really reads like a 1st year wannabe reporter thinking they found something and babbling about a bunch of shit they don't know.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio

Yep the reporter was obviously lazy or really dosen't know what he's talking about

Just about every big dept as a community relations dept with outreach programs to just about every stupid group there is. I'm sure sure there is even one in CA for Scientologists

MagicBob

Dec 2, 2010
wait a second... someone is trying to stir up fauxrage over a community affairs section of a police dept? You've got to be kidding me.

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
wait a second... someone is trying to stir up fauxrage over a community affairs section of a police dept? You've got to be kidding me.
"Community?" Try "People who will get offended because they feel 'oppressed.'"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I got from this was a section of the department that sugarcoats their duties so that they don't offend anyone.

mills

I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness
Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
There should be a law enforcement agency which specializes in Muslims.

...one which investigates them.
That's the issue. It sounds like the author did such a good job pussyfooting around this obvious issue that he got you arguing with each other.

PC 2011. You have to give it up for the number of revisions it's gone through to make itself sound morally impervious to the easily distracted.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I got from this was a section of the department that sugarcoats their duties so that they don't offend anyone.
This is no different than programs like Neighborhood Watch or even ones that try and engage people in gang infested areas to get them more involved in crime prevention.

Sheriff Leroy D. Baca strongly believes in Public Trust Policing to partner with the communities we serve.

Public trust policing is the use of police resources in a manner that includes the public’s participation in the mission of public safety. The purpose of public trust policing is to provide a higher level of public safety. It is incumbent upon law enforcement to recognize that without the full faith and cooperation of the public, the mission of public safety is severely impaired. The process of public trust policing involves moving from what was generally known as a closed system to an inclusive and open system of public participation in the public safety mission.

MagicBob

Dec 2, 2010
"Community?" Try "People who will get offended because they feel 'oppressed.'"

how in the wide world of sports do you get that out of the story you posted?

its a community outreach program, no different than the other community outreach programs in police departments all over the country. Many have specific populations they address, a nationality, a geographical area, a religion.... I'm not getting the fauxrage... fill me in.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
how in the wide world of sports do you get that out of the story you posted?

its a community outreach program, no different than the other community outreach programs in police departments all over the country.
Exactly and if it gets some of them to help turn in the shitheads
in their community, all the better.