Laptop CPU upgrade

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
I'm playing around with an HP laptop that is going to be going off to school with my stepson. It's got an AMD Sempron 3000+ (Socket 754) and 512MB of RAM. I'm gonna probably upgrade the RAM and I'd like to upgrade the processor. I found a bunch of Socket 754 processors but want to make sure I buy one that will work. Anyone have any expertise in this area?

Deadbent

You can go fuck.
Download Cpu-Z and run it on the laptop to be certain.
It will let you know if it's a "palermo" barton" or "paris". They're all semprons, just different revisions, using diff fabrication techniques.

Narrow down what exact type of sempron the lappy is equipped for. Grab the one next up on the chain. (although, if there's a 3000 in there now, there might be slim chance of decent upgrades for it. Not certain, though, it's been a few years since I built anything on this platform)

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
well since were asking laptop questions, i have an inspiron 2650, it only has a 20gig hard drive and i want more, the external that i have is awfull slow, its ok for back up but imposable to work off of, its a 2.5" IDE i saw a 100gig for about 89$ to install this can i back up my entire hard drive on the external drive then after i install the new hard drive make the computer boot from the external hard drive? or should i just back up critical files and programs to the external, and use the recovery disc to restart the computer? when i got this machine my mother had totaly fucked it, and i had to reformat the drive and re install windows from the recovery dvd's, it was a pain in the patootie

Deadbent

You can go fuck.
well since were asking laptop questions, i have an inspiron 2650, it only has a 20gig hard drive and i want more, the external that i have is awfull slow, its ok for back up but imposable to work off of, its a 2.5" IDE i saw a 100gig for about 89$ to install this can i back up my entire hard drive on the external drive then after i install the new hard drive make the computer boot from the external hard drive? or should i just back up critical files and programs to the external, and use the recovery disc to restart the computer? when i got this machine my mother had totaly fucked it, and i had to reformat the drive and re install windows from the recovery dvd's, it was a pain in the patootie

Yo fezman,

Hard drives are pretty well priced nowadays. You wouldn't be too bad off grabbing one or two new ones.

Personally, I'd grab a 80-100gb, 7200 rpm internal for 80-90 bucks somewhere, and throw it into the laptop.

I'd backup all the existing shit worth saving to the external, before installing it and totally install a clean operating system on the new one.

I'd grab a faster external drive too, depending on cash/prices.
They're practically peanuts now compared to what they used to run, though.
With that, you've the option to work from either the internal, or external, with save options to both of them.

For speed on a hard drive, you have to identify what rpm it runs at.
Higher rpm, higher the speed it read/writes (basically).
I'm guessing by the age of that laptop and symptoms, both your internal and external would be of the 5400 - sub 5400 rpm variety.
Also, the overall speed will factor in shit like when the last time you defragmented it, etc. Presuming you've already tried that and shit's still running slow, a new hard drive of a faster rpm would do you just fine.

Anyone who can deftly wield a good .357 seems like the kind of guy who can operate a screw driver and take apart a laptop/put it back together as he found it.
Don't be put off by gutting the fucker open and doing the installation shit yourself.
Nerdsquads charge out the ASS for piddly installs like that, and why pay some 100 lb, 30 year old 50 bucks for 10 minutes of work.

Hope it helps

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
You need to clone the existing 20gig to the new drive, then swap in the new drive.

What you'll need:

- Replacement 9.5mm thick 2.5" hard drive (whatever size)
- external drive with enough space to store image of original drive
- either a 2.5" hard drive external enclosure (as little as $10) or a 2.5" to USB adapter <- you can get an adapter that has connectors for 3.5", 2.5" and SATA drives from a variety of sources (MicroCenter, Newegg, etc) for about $20-30.
- DriveImageXML (free! from runtime.org) <-- i use this to upgrade hard drives all the time, as well as to make restore images and backups. Works great. Best program ever was PowerQuest's Drive Image, which Symantec bought and killed off.

Process will not destroy data on orginal drive and you will not have to reload OS. If you go the external enclosure route, you can then place the old hard drive in the enclosure for additional storage or backup.

THE FEZ MAN

thanks,
ive taken this machine apart twice and my desk tower several times including a video card and all the memory it will take. i wanted to install an internal blue tooth in either this one or my wife's HP but neither machine will take it i just get all fiddle faddled with the alphabet soup that nerds use some times to do the simplest shit. i think im going to go with the restore disk, reinstall the os, and the external data back up. i just have to toss some money in the bank and ill order a 120 off the net. what i realy want to do is build a monster system but i just dont have the spare time or cash,

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
I found a bunch of Socket 754 processors but want to make sure I buy one that will work. Anyone have any expertise in this area?
How cheap are the ones you're finding? I could use a A64 3000+ 754.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
I downloaded CPU-Z and it says this machine actually has a Sempron 3300+, running at 800mhz X 4 (3200 MHZ) with a 200 MHZ bus. Windows now says it's a Sempron 3300+ (unless I'm crazy, it didn't before - maybe it has something to do with the BIOS upgrade I did?) running at 1.99 MHZ.

I found lots of Socket 754 processors... Semprons, Athlons, Turions... I was hoping I could ditch the Sempron for an Athlon or a Turion.

Cheapest listed is @ Newegg. They have a Socket 754 Athlon 64 3200+ for $36. Most expensive (and fastest I could find) is An Athlon 64 3700+ for $294.00 at some other place.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
While checking out Newegg.com, I started reading the reviews of an OEM AMD Turion 64 MT37 Lancaster 2.0GHz 1MB L2 Cache Socket 754 Processor. People have successfully upgraded Sempron 3300+ laptops to this processor. Also, I found a few who upgraded a Compaq-branded version of this HP laptop. Looks like I found a winner. It's $59 bucks.

thelord68

Turion > Sempron like Pentium > Celeron.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Exactly. The Turion has 1MB of L2 cache versus the Sempron's 128K.

That's precisely why I wanted to get something better than the Sempron.

So if I get the CPU for $59, I'll boost the RAM to 2GB for about $150 and this machine oughta rock. It runs fine now, but for the applications he's going to be using at school (mechanical drafting), he's going to need more processing power.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Cheapest listed is @ Newegg. They have a Socket 754 Athlon 64 3200+ for $36. Most expensive (and fastest I could find) is An Athlon 64 3700+ for $294.00 at some other place.
$294? For a 754??? :icon_eek:

The 3200+ is nice though.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
I just ordered the CPU and the RAM. I'll post after I attempt the CPU upgrade.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
RAM came today, made a HUGE difference going from 512MB to 2GB. The CPU should come tomorrow. Installation is pretty involved, but I got a PDF of the factory service manual for this laptop. It shouldn't be anything I can't handle.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
The CPU upgrade was a resounding success. I did it in about 45 minutes and it involved tearing the laptop down COMPLETELY. The system board is installed UPSIDE DOWN, and the CPU socket can only be accessible by a complete teardown and removal of the system board.

This thing fucking screams. I am amazed at the difference. The RAM upgrade made a nice improvement but going from the Sempron to the Turion is really a remarkable change.

THE FEZ MAN

good for you, theres nothing i like more than when a plan comes together and isnt a fucking fiasco, like when i do home plumbing

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
I forgot to mention. I only have 3 screws left over. Like most laptops, there are a ridiculous amount of extra screws.

THE FEZ MAN

I forgot to mention. I only have 3 screws left over. Like most laptops, there are a ridiculous amount of extra screws.
ha ha ha

i have buckets full of screws, nuts, bolts, clips and other do dads left over from cars that i work on, there are way too many......:rolleyes:

Deadbent

You can go fuck.
good to hear it went well.

I'm always talking shit too, about never wanting to have left over screws after a job, and always having them somehow. Goddamnit.

But yeah, the ram upgrade. it always seems to be more noticable of an improvement for lappys. In a few of mine, I've skipped throwing in a new proc, and just doubled or quadrupled up the ram, like you did Sinn. I was able to cope with that.
But in your case, a processor upgrade was definitely in order with a ram increase. (heh, "ram increase".)

Good shot, again.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
The new processor seems to run alot cooler. The chassis fan hardly ever runs compared to before. I was actually scared at first, thinking I fucked up and would have to tear into the thing again.

Joe Avezzano

I need to clone my old 80gb hard drive to a newer 250gb hard drive. Would the DriveImageXML program be ok for desktop PCs also, or is there a better route? Are there any tricks I need to know about to do this?

thelord68

I need to clone my old 80gb hard drive to a newer 250gb hard drive. Would the DriveImageXML program be ok for desktop PCs also, or is there a better route? Are there any tricks I need to know about to do this?
I use it primarily on desktops. Its easier because you can open the case and hook up the new drive.

You need to create a partition on the new drive first through Windows disk management.

Powerquest Drive Image was better in that respect - it automatically created the new partition and resized it.

Joe Avezzano

Ok, so I downloaded, installed, and tried to run this DriveImage XML and it failed. The reason it gave was "unable to lock drive J:" which is the drive I'm cloning to. Should I be using the drive-to-drive copy option?