[Question] Laptop Screen Died

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Yesterday, after cleaning my screen with the computer off, I turned it back pn, my screen flickered and went black.

There are still images if I place it at an angle, but the power button doesn't light either. I left it off and unplugged for several hours and this morning it was the same situation. Any chance of it repairing itself? Any advice? Or am I fucked, because I need my laptop for work and portable.

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
I am going to lean on "fucked". Sorry. :(

What images can you discern?

Can you connect it to a TV or a monitor?

Do you have an external hard drive?

Is it still under warranty?

What is the model of the laptop?

Someone would ask to go on ebay and buy a replacement screen.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Images like "System Recovery" "Log in screen" Basically, I can see it working.

No external Hd. Was going to see if I could pick up a cheap monitor today so I can rescue files. Warranty expired earlier this year. It's an HP pavilion.

As for the Ebay solution, is it worth trying to fix it myself or bringing it in?

Bluestreak

This space intentionally left blank.
Sep 27, 2007
Mawl-din, MA
Sounds like the LCD backlight inverter has died.
When you were cleaning the monitor, did any [Dr. Steve] FLUID [/Dr. Steve] get into the screen bezel or into the keyboard?

It's possible that the backlight inverter has become disconnected.
Do you have an external monitor that you can plug into the laptop?

Which Pavillion model? You may be able to fix it yourself on the cheap.

Di' you unplu ih an pluh it bah in?

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I don't know where the fluid went. It's fluid, it goes where it wants.

Going to look for an external today.

I believe a Pavilion dv4.

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
Bluestreak: I could be the inverter. What happens when you shine a flashlight on the monitor?
Googling "Pavilion dv4 inverter" comes up with $15-20 inverters.
http://www.insidemylaptop.com/remove-replace-lcd-screen-inverter-hp-pavilion-dv6000-laptop/

[yt]UT2GFVem_9U[/yt]

[yt]8gc4Rl0uEgY[/yt]

What inputs does your TV have? SVGA? RCA? There are cables for that type of connection.

Brick&Mortar places with monitors on sale:
http://www.salescircular.com/il/computer/mnitrp.shtml

You would need an external harddrive if you couldn't share files wireless/ethernet to another computer.

How large is the laptops harddrive and how much is filled do you estimate?

How technically proficient are you with a computer's hardware?

A more precise model number is required

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
Did you take anything apart while cleaning it? It may be worth trying to disassemble the area where the screen hinges to see if you can get to the cable that sends the video to the screen. These often need to be unplugged/replugged or cleaned.

Can you tell if the backlight is on? The video signal and backlight power can often work independently. Its hard to tell if you have good video when the back light is out because you have to shine a light on the screen just right and is hard to see something going on without video or movement on screen.

The part that is bad is where you say you saw it come on then go black, this sounds like screen died. As for fixing yourself you can find laptop parts dirt cheap on ebay sometimes even a screen that is new.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Sounds like the LCD backlight inverter has died.
When you were cleaning the monitor, did any [Dr. Steve] FLUID [/Dr. Steve] get into the screen bezel or into the keyboard?

It's possible that the backlight inverter has become disconnected.
Do you have an external monitor that you can plug into the laptop?

Which Pavillion model? You may be able to fix it yourself on the cheap.

Di' you unplu ih an pluh it bah in?
Yep back light... that little netbook we had developed a case of the gravities and on about the 3rd or 4th drop the screen went black... not even worth fixing...

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
bump.
How would you replace the inverter?

p.s. and a backlight?

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
It's the backlight (I assume) since I can see things if I hold the screen at an angle. I might be able to get it repaired for ~$120, though I might be curious about trying to repair it myself.

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
Inverters are pretty simple to swap out; they're just a small module that plugs into the board under the case. If you're comfortable with taking the laptop apart it can be a cheap fix; if not, someone you know probably is comfortable with doing that. Frankly, everybody these days seems to be a tech! :)

(If you google the exact model of the lappy, chances are good there are breakdown videos for it out there.)

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
It can also be a bad ribbon cable that runs through the hinged part of the laptop. I had that happen once. If I opened it part-way the screen would light up. But if I opened it all the way it would go black.

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
bump.
How would you replace the inverter?

p.s. and a backlight?

The inverter is either a small board that converts the low voltage from the power supply, in some displays the inverter is built into the power supply. So you swap the board or replace the bad parts. Either capacitors fail or the transformers burn up etc... If your device has a seperate inverter which is probably true for a laptop it will be one of the cheapest parts to change.

The backlight is the fluorescent lamps or on newer ones LEDs. The lamps can be replaced if you can find an exact fit. This can be VERY tedious as it requires completely removing the screen and then tearing into it.

Most laptop screens if you open up the upper lid you will find some parts info or you can search the model of the laptop or screen on google/ebay and find that they are fairly inexpensive. Changing the screen is pretty easy if you can run a small screwdriver and can find all the screws.

Do check and make sure its not as simple as the inverter cables are loose/unplugged.

TrybalRage

Aug 5, 2004
Kennesaw, GA
I replaced the backlight on mine after the wires to it frayed and broke due to the hinging open and closed. Under a $10 fix.

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
There's also the chance that the actual CCFL bulb blew out in the panel.

Try the inverter first, because thats a $10 part. If that doesnt work, the panel needs to be replaced. Technically you can open the LCD panel and put a new bulb in, but its a pain in the ass and those panels arent meant to be cracked open.

The least common problem is a bad hinge switch, but Ive rarely (i think once) seen that as the cause.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I ordered an inverter online. I'm going to try to do it myself like a big boy!

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
I replaced the one on my sisters laptop. I just had to remove the bezel around the screen and it was on the buttom undereath. Just had to unplug two tiny cables. I'd remove it before ordering a new one just in case. They suggest removing the board and double checking the numbers on them before ordering. Sometimes thay make changes, even with computers with the same model number. You might end up with the wrong part or connectors that don't match up.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Some manufacturers have field repair manuals on their site for how to take apart shit as nothing worse searching for that one hidden screw when taking apart a laptop... IBM did (dunno about Levono)... HP has some... dunno about Dell or others.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
So I got the inverter, replaced it (which I found fun), turned on the laptop, the screen came alive and died shortly thereafter.

JoeyDVDZ

Aug 20, 2004
Then there's something shorting out the inverter. Trash the lappy & get a new one. By the time you've replaced the mobo, you're gonna be almost into new laptop costs. (There's always the outside chance that taking the entire machine apart and rebuilding it will stop whatever is blowing your inverters, but I wouldn't count on that too much.)

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I'm using my external monitor now, but sometimes when my computer restarts (I'm doing some housekeeping) it will show flickers of life. So the new inverter did help. Is there any chance of a Rosh Hashanah miracle?

(But my computer runs sluggish as it is so maybe I should just bite the bullet and get a new one.)

JoeyDVDZ

Aug 20, 2004
Throw $400 into a semi-decent costco laptop, something with an i3 or better, 4 gb ram, etc. You can catch sales if you're quick, get a lappy in that range for that price. Maybe even cheaper.

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
I'm using my external monitor now, but sometimes when my computer restarts (I'm doing some housekeeping) it will show flickers of life. So the new inverter did help. Is there any chance of a Rosh Hashanah miracle?

(But my computer runs sluggish as it is so maybe I should just bite the bullet and get a new one.)
Inverter failure is usually from the screen (backlight) and some laptop screens can be cheap on ebay and are not that hard to replace. Could be problem from the motherboard too this can be easier to test if you have a voltmeter but if the pins on the inverter input connection are not labeled then it can be tricky. Are you sure you got an inverter meant for the laptop.

See if you can tell if the lid switch isnt what is causing this problem.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I'm not sure if this means anything, but when I turn on my laptop, the monitor actually boots up for like a minute or two. And last night, I was playing Nesticle and my laptop screen booted up for several minutes as it was running.