[Question] Laptop sound issue (win 7)

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
This might be super easy or full blown fucked. Either way it's annoying the shit out of me.

The speakers on my laptop just stopped working. Audio out is fine. Checked drivers/properties and they seem fine. The strange thing is that when someone sends me a text via google talk, it get the sound and what is playing on the laptop for that second. ??

What am I missing here? Thanks

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
...same with all browsers & Windows media. Grr.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
Does it do this via the audio jack too? Have you checked your volume mixer to see if any applications are un-checked? {Edit} Okay read your last post {Edit} Also check your audio device settings, right click on the volume speaker and select playback devices. Make sure PC speakers are set as the default device, not headphones. Sometimes Headphones don't switch back from being the default device when they are unplugged. Also, notice if some other device is default instead. Digital Audio and Digital Audio HDMI shouldn't be set as default unless it's always plugged into TV.

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
Audio jack works fine. Speakers default. Levels are all up none mute. Maybe something physically wrong with the jack? I disabled HDMI.

I guess it can't be the jack itself since it beeped at me when I got an IM last night.

Last edited:

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
The laptop beeped or the speakers beeped. Uninstall device and restart. Download latest driver from manufacturer.

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
Uninstalled.. reboot & it automatically installed. Same deal.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
How long since your last reformat and reinstall of Windows? You might be due.

That ol' gag...

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
Yeah. I just tried the facebook and google talk chat again. no dice. It visually shows on the mixer, but nuttin. Still strange that it just flatlined with no prior signs. I guess I'll open it up.

It's an AMD HP with the IDT standard driver FWIW. Nothing fancy.

(next thread.. cheap laptop advice)

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
If it is broke, pick up some cheap USB powered speakers. They usually sell for 15-20 dollars.

The laptop beeped or the speakers beeped. Uninstall device and restart. Download latest driver from manufacturer.
Most likely a Piezo speaker, just beeps and that's about it.

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
If you open it up and have access to a multimeter check at the speaker connections to see if there is resistance. Should get a reading like 4-32 ohms.

Sometimes the jack you plug headphones into can fail where it mutes the speakers. Usually the jack has a metal piece that opens or closes like a switch that mutes the speakers. Try wiggling a non metallic object like a toothpick in the jack to see if you can get a response while playing audio.

Or it could just be the audio amplifier on board that drives the speakers which may be working intermittently as you have noticed.

mrfarstucker

Apr 24, 2006
NH (Seacoast Region)
The speakers on my old laptop died due to their wire going bad. The speakers themselves were part of the screen portion of the laptop, and their wire fed through the hinge and into the keyboard portion of the laptop (where the motherboard is). Apparently repeatedly opening and closing the laptop caused the wire in the hinge to wear away. I was able to trick it into outputting sound if I played with the position of the screen... if I practically closed the screen, it would cause the speaker wire to connect, and I'd get sound.

I ordered a new speaker (with an intact wire) on ebay, and was able to swap it out for like 10 bucks. Granted, it involved taking the whole laptop apart to perform the replacement... but it was pretty straightforward (with the help of the Dell guides).

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
If you open it up and have access to a multimeter check at the speaker connections to see if there is resistance. Should get a reading like 4-32 ohms.

Sometimes the jack you plug headphones into can fail where it mutes the speakers. Usually the jack has a metal piece that opens or closes like a switch that mutes the speakers. Try wiggling a non metallic object like a toothpick in the jack to see if you can get a response while playing audio.
Didn't even think of that. My old Netbook is like that. I have to repeatedly remove and insert the plug sometimes to get the sound to come out the speakers. Of course the speakers are so tinny that I end up just using headphones anyway.