HandPanzer

O Tempora O Mores!
May 30, 2013
Piggy's thunder has been stolen.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
Continuing the Hitchcock discussion from part 1. While I appreciate how influential Psycho was, I think some of his other movies are better. Its similar to how think the Hammer monster movies are better than classic Universal ones that preceded them.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Ocean's 11. It's been a while so I decided to throw it in. I really enjoy that film. I'm not sure if that's the right position to have but I find the cast interacts well with each other. Elliott Gould could have been used a little more and the Asian fella doesn't do much of anything. The computer expert is a little too panicky and I couldn't accept the fact that a guy who nearly shits his pants whenever someone talks to him was sent into a highly secured location alone. Casey Affleck was hilarious.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Continuing the Hitchcock discussion from part 1. While I appreciate how influential Psycho was, I think some of his other movies are better. Its similar to how think the Hammer monster movies are better than classic Universal ones that preceded them.
Not that fun, not that surprising fact: I've never seen a Hitchcock movie all the way through. Just bits and pieces of Psycho and...well that's probably it. Same with the Universal monster movies and whatever Hammer movies are.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Ocean's 11. It's been a while so I decided to throw it in. I really enjoy that film. I'm not sure if that's the right position to have but I find the cast interacts well with each other. Elliott Gould could have been used a little more and the Asian fella doesn't do much of anything. The computer expert is a little too panicky and I couldn't accept the fact that a guy who nearly shits his pants whenever someone talks to him was sent into a highly secured location alone. Casey Affleck was hilarious.
There's no such thing as a right or wrong opinion. If you have an unusual opinion, you will be teased, such as @Bill Lehecka saying Pixels had laugh out loud moments and @Ballbuster1 saying it had a few chuckles. (chuckles he has never identified, by the way.)

I remember really liking Ocean's 11 when I saw it in the theater, but never having the desire to watch it again or see its two sequels.

HandPanzer

O Tempora O Mores!
May 30, 2013
There's no such thing as a right or wrong opinion. If you have an unusual opinion, you will be teased, such as @Bill Lehecka saying Pixels had laugh out loud moments and @Ballbuster1 saying it had a few chuckles. (chuckles he has never identified, by the way.)

I remember really liking Ocean's 11 when I saw it in the theater, but never having the desire to watch it again or see its two sequels.
Bullshit. If you like MoS, your opinion is fucking wrong.

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey

I really enjoyed the 13th Warrior. I can't help myself!

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY

Here is my own not that fun and/or probably not surprising fact. I liked the Ocean's 11 trilogy. They were entertaining movies.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Aug 25, 2002
NYC
I don't have the balls to start a thread about it, but I was invited to the Absolutely Fabulous premiere, and just came out.

Go ahead, have fun with the way I phrased that.

Scored tix to the Trek marathon screening on Wednesday. Beyond ends up playing around 10PM. Not sure I'd be awake for that, but I really need to cleanse the palate.

Again, have fun.

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
I don't have the balls to start a thread about it, but I was invited to the Absolutely Fabulous premiere, and just came out.

Scored tix to the Trek marathon screening on Wednesday. Beyond ends up playing around 10PM. Not sure I'd be awake for that, but I really need to cleanse the palate.

Again, have fun.
You just came out? Congrats queer.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey

Again, have fun.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Aug 25, 2002
NYC
Seriously, I half-expected that guy to be there. The brother from Frasier was there.

Fred West

Jul 4, 2014
Gladiator. Forgot how weak the ending was (considering it won Best Picture).

Not ideal that Oliver Reed died before they'd finished filming, so they had to incorporate some Olivia Soprano magic to finish his scenes.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
Out of The Past.

A private eye escapes his past to run a gas station in a small town, but his past catches up with him. Now he must return to the big city world of danger, corruption, double crosses and duplicitous dames.

I thought it was a very good movie and I can see why its considered one of the greatest of all films noir. Robert Mitchum plays the private eye and just like the MacMurray in Double Indemnity and Lancaster in The Killers, falls for the wrong woman.

Jane Greer's first appearance in the movie is right up there with Stanwyck's in Double Indemnity. All of the female archetypes are on display in this movie. Greer plays Kathie, the femme fatale and then we have the girl next door Anne played by Virgina Huston. But I was partial to Rhonda Fleming's Meta Carson. Who could flirt with the best of them.

On a side note, I bought this movie on a Bluray about a week ago after it became clear that there was going to be a long wait for it to become available on Netflix. Only to discover TCM was going to be airing it last night.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
Hey, the thread loaded instantly. This is not what I am used to.

Continuing the gaslighting theme.

Diabolique/Les diaboliques (1955, France). It's got berets! It's got baguettes! It's got someone singing "Alouette"! Get it? It's fucking French! This was some top-notch mindfuckery. And our leading lady's nipples are clearly visible through her sheer nightgown during the entire end of the movie. Vive la France! Wikipedia says Hitchcock missed out on the rights to this story by just a few hours (it also spoils the ending in the introductory portion of their article). It kinda makes you wonder how different his 60s output would've been with this already under his belt half a decade before Psycho. Another movie crossed off the IMDb top 250. Remade 20 years ago with Sharon Stone. I shan't be watching that version.

The Dark Mirror (1946). Olivia de Havilland (who just turned 100) does the gaslighting here after she's accused of murder. It's listed as "crime, drama, film noir," but early on it's very light and played for laughs. There's even a random bit where the score is an accomplice to some entirely unnecessary racism. Then it finally veers hard into the psychological portion. Very talky. Most of the scenes require special effects, and they're done very well. Remade in the 80s with Jane Seymour. Again, no.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
The other day I had the shits so I decided to sit around and watch Netflix, I watched "seal team six" which sucked balls
Then I watched "these final hours" also a bomb an Australian bomb at that
Then started watching "the day after the war began" to complete the trifecta of shit.... I didn't even finish that crap

Hog's Big Ben

Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
Day 202.

The Bronze (2016). Filmed in the summer of 2014 and finally released this March. More of a character drama than a comedy. That's not me snarkily saying it's not funny, because it is. It's just more focused on Melissa Rauch's incredibly cunty character's progression to...slightly less cunty. She's doing a voice, but at least it's nowhere near as obnoxious as Bernadette. I liked the movie more than I didn't, but it made some really odd choices. No wonder it only made 68¢ in theaters.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
The 39 Steps. -

A man in London tries to help a counterespionage agent. But when the agent is killed and the man stands accused, he must go on the run to both save himself and also stop a spy ring which is trying to steal top secret information.

I thought it was a fantastic movie. It had suspense, some comedy, and great examples of the subtle sexuality we are always talking about it when comes to older movies.

10 Cloverfield Lane. -

I knew nothing about this movie going in except for the raving reviews it got from some of Wackbag's most trusted. I also never saw the movie with the similar name that preceded it. Despite some of the flaws (a couple of them are legit) that @Pigdango brought up in the other thread, I thought it was a very good movie. It definitely kept you on the edge of your seat at times. John Goodman was great in it and I thought both Winstead and Gallagher Jr. were able to hold their own weight as well. The comparisons to a Twilight Zone episode were legit.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
The 39 Steps. -

A man in London tries to help a counterespionage agent. But when the agent is killed and the man stands accused, he must go on the run to both save himself and also stop a spy ring which is trying to steal top secret information.

I thought it was a fantastic movie. It had suspense, some comedy, and great examples of the subtle sexuality we are always talking about it when comes to older movies.

10 Cloverfield Lane. -

I knew nothing about this movie going in except for the raving reviews it got from some of Wackbag's most trusted. I also never saw the movie with the similar name that preceded it. Despite some of the flaws (a couple of them are legit) that @Pigdango brought up in the other thread, I thought it was a very good movie. It definitely kept you on the edge of your seat at times. John Goodman was great in it and I thought both Winstead and Gallagher Jr. were able to hold their own weight as well. The comparisons to a Twilight Zone episode were legit.

I liked 10 cloverfield lane

Hog's Big Ben

Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
Ernest Hemingway doubleheader:

The Killers (1964). Don Siegel's second chance at directing this (he was fired from the first version). @Stormrider666 mentioned "the slap," so I needed to see the rest of this one. It's weird seeing people I consider TV actors in good movies prior to their TV fame. Here we get Mr. Roper and Sheriff Elroy P. Lobo. Angie Dickinson is the femme fatale here. I never thought she was attractive enough in her cougar years to be anything other than a dowdy wife or sidekick, and youth doesn't help her out either. This was intended to be a TV movie, and it looks exactly as cheap as you would expect for 1964. But the story is great. Two contract killers investigate why their most recent hit, John Cassavetes, was so lucrative for a guy who just "stood there and took it." Lee Marvin, and especially Clu Gulager, are excellent as the killers.

The Killers (1946). The Robert Siodmak version. Drastically different from the later version. And a bit better. William Conrad must've been a fatass straight out of the womb. He was only in his mid-20s here, playing the Lee Marvin part. Burt Lancaster has the Cassavetes role. Ava Gardner is the femme fatale, and holy shit is she gorgeous. She makes the story more believable than frumpy Angie Dickinson. The Folgers coffee lady is in both versions. The opening music became the Dragnet theme. Wikipedia says only the intro was from Hemingway, and the rest is wholly original. I guess that explains why the Siegel version barely resembles it. I should dig around and see if I can find a digital version of the short story. Apparently it's not even 10 pages. I can manage that.

Don Siegel bonus feature:

Riot in Cell Block 11 (1954). Prison reform propaganda disguised as entertainment. Again. Producer William Wanger (tee hee) was married to Joan Bennett in the 50s. He found out she was fucking her agent, so he shot him in the balls and spent a few months in prison. That "profound" experience led to him making this movie. It's actually really entertaining, considering its agenda.

The Motion Picture Code hurt* and helped this movie. Filmmakers were cautioned to exercise "special care" when portraying criminal activities, "having in mind the effect which a too-detailed description of these may have upon the moron," (yeah, that's an actual quote) which is hopefully* why the different scenes showing how the prisoners overtake the guards are so absurdly simplistic. But since all the bad guys were already in prison, the Code helped by not forcing an awkwardly-shoehorned-in scene making it abundantly clear to the viewer that nobody got away with anything.

Hog's Big Ben

Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
Day 206.

Batman: The Killing Joke (2016). A little Joker origin story, a little Batgirl all grown up, and a fucking song and dance routine. Rated R just to drum up the hype, I guess.

goat999

town drunk
Sep 30, 2006
Springfield, IL
The Secret Life of Pets. It was fine for a kids movie but Louie's voice kept me hanging on for a **** or retard joke. Also, I'm not sure if it's racist or uplifting that Kevin Hart was the voice of the bunny.

Hog's Big Ben

Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
Day 207.

Inside Out (2015). A new way to give kids nightmares: a mental health horror cartoon! I loved it. The potential to scar a child for life is only a bonus.

Chip Spackler

Donator
Jan 5, 2016
Watched Fastball and Knuckleball on Netflix (in that order). Both were well made, and I've always been fascinated with knuckleballers, but I liked Fastball more.