Movie Last Movie You Watched Part 2

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
SENSE AND SENSIBILITY for about the 30th time. Alan Rickman is just about the sexiest motherfucker of all time in that movie.

And I watched half an hour of TRAGEDY GIRLS but found it insufferably smug.
This is pure faggotry.

When it comes to 90s British actors, everyone knows Ralph Fiennes is the sexiest.

Him as John Steed? Mmmmmm.

Night Must Fall. (1937).- When a rich but cantankerous dowager (Dame May Whitty) on an isolated estates hires an engaging handyman (Robert Montgomery), her niece/companion (Rosalind Russell) becomes suspicious of his motives.

Rage In Heaven.- Old friends Ward and Phillip (George Sanders and Robert Montgomery) both become smitten with Phillip's mother's attractive young secretary Stella (Ingrid Berman). But Stella marries Phillip and stands by him as his behavior becomes more and more erratic and his jealousy of Ward increases.

Both movies are very good and feature fantastic performances from their respective casts.
I just saw Night Must Fall too. Glasses could have solved a lot of problems if she spoke up sooner. But her dip of a boyfriend would just brush it off.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
I just saw Night Must Fall too. Glasses could have solved a lot of problems if she spoke up sooner. But her dip of a boyfriend would just brush it off.
For awhile there, I thought she wanted Danny to get away with it. She had a morbid personality, obviously found him attractive and despised her aunt.

Although it would have been funny if at the end of the movie, her boyfriend said, "Now do you want to say yes to my proposal".

Discoman

Donator
Feb 21, 2010
New York
I watched It Happened One Night(1934)
I would say watching Roman Holiday years before this ruins some of the impact as they share similar overall plots with an affluent girl trying to stay under the radar but immediately coming to the attention of a pressman. Gable does a fantastic job and the movie's lasting humor owes much to him. It has to be good if both Hitler and Stalin loved it.

Paris, Texas (1984)
With Dean Stockwell and Harry Dean Stanton having the prominent roles I was biased to like the movie, but found some of the dialogue, especially Stanton's thoughts trying to understand the situation to a be bit jarring. It is a wonderfully shot film that makes brownish SoCal and the barren South West look great. I think I'll have to give this a re-watch to properly wrap my head around it.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
For awhile there, I thought she wanted Danny to get away with it. She had a morbid personality, obviously found him attractive and despised her aunt.

Although it would have been funny if at the end of the movie, her boyfriend said, "Now do you want to say yes to my proposal".
I honestly thought the same exact thing. I thought that either she'd turn to him and say "I'll marry you!" or he - in his completely daft way - would propose to her once they took the murderer out of the house.

For awhile, I actually thought that he'd be the murderer because he was such a dud and the obvious suspect had so much more personality and chemistry with Glasses. And also because he was so obvious and blatant about being the killer that Glasses is somewhat culpable for her aunt being killed.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
Passage to Marseille.- Five patriotic convicts are helped to escape imprisonment in Devil's Island so they can fight for occupied Free French forces against the Nazis.

Its directed by Micheal Curtiz and reunites half the cast of Casablanca. Bogart, Lorre, Greenstreet, Rains, and Dantine. The story is told through a flashback within a flashback within a flashback. Overall its a very good movie, that looks even better thanks to James Wong Howe's cinematography. Although I kind of wish Bogart was replaced by Jean Gabin. He would have given a better performance as a patriotic Frenchman.

Stranger on The Third Floor.- An aspiring reporter (John Mcguire) is the key witness at the murder trial of a young man (Elisha Cook Jr.) accused of cutting a café owner's throat and is soon accused of a similar crime himself.

Depending on who you ask, its either the first film noir or the second one. Which ever one it is, it has Peter Lorre doing what he does best. Creeping people the fuck out.

Three Strangers.- Three strangers (Geraldine Fitzgerald, Sydney Greenstreet, Peter Lorre) each with a serious problem in their lives, share a sweepstakes ticket which they wished upon together before a Chinese idol.

Greenstreet's problem involves a little embezzlement, Lorre is being wanted by the police, and Fitzgerald is about to teach her ex-husband, hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. Its a nice little take on the be careful what you wish for story.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Stranger on The Third Floor.- An aspiring reporter (John Mcguire) is the key witness at the murder trial of a young man (Elisha Cook Jr.) accused of cutting a café owner's throat and is soon accused of a similar crime himself.

Depending on who you ask, its either the first film noir or the second one. Which ever one it is, it has Peter Lorre doing what he does best. Creeping people the fuck out.
I just watched that too. It's ahead of it's time for a 1940 Hollywood film and one where I quite liked the leading lady.

But it's also one of those noir/40s movies where you wonder if criminal justice back then really was "I have nothing to do with this case, but this guy smells funny." "Well then he's guilty, he'll get the electric chair a week from yesterday."

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Action Point - Holy shit. I mean, I understand having low expectations but this was BotW-level production values, filmmaking prowess and tone deafness. I can't vouch for it for HitW but this is shockingly incompetent so I want someone else to see it just to know if I'm overly harsh on it. Bad Grandpa wasn't great, but it worked for what it was trying to do and you bought into the relationship between the Grandpa and the Grandson. This was ... It's less than 85 minutes and I'm almost positive that the wrap around sequence were reshoots.

First Reformed - It's really quite good and the performances are fantastic (you forget how magnetic Amanda Seyfried can be or how compelling Ethan Hawke could be or that Cedric the Entertainer can actually act).

But Action Point is a curiosity. And people will just say "whatever, it's a Johnny Knoxville movie." But there are so many elements that are not utilized or not paid off or unnecessarily dramatic or comically misguided. Long stretches without a joke. I think you don't learn the main character's name until like an hour into the movie. It's also one of those comedies where the main character is such an unrepentant dickweed that you want him to fail (part of the reason I think the wrap arounds were re-shoots) and he's not funny enough or charming enough to overcome the sheer loathsomeness of the character.

Last edited:

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
I just watched that too. It's ahead of it's time for a 1940 Hollywood film and one where I quite liked the leading lady.

But it's also one of those noir/40s movies where you wonder if criminal justice back then really was "I have nothing to do with this case, but this guy smells funny." "Well then he's guilty, he'll get the electric chair a week from yesterday."
If you look at the credits of noir/40s movies, there is usually a technical adviser listed. It would have been a cop or someone from the D.A.'s office. So there is a good chance that the criminal justice system was like that back then.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
Walkabout. (1971) - Two young siblings (Jenny Agutter, Luc Roeg) are stranded in the Australian Outback and are forced to cope on their own. They meet an Australian boy (David Gulpilil) on "walkabout": a ritual separation from his tribe.

I thought it was a very good tale of survival with some subtle religious imagery and commentary on native people's place in an ever changing world. Oh yeah and it also has the added bonus of getting to see a seventeen year old Jenny Agutter completely naked.

Last edited:

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
@Pigdango

I finally saw Hurricane Heist, which is actually called The Hurricane Heist, which is somehow an even stupider title. Of everything special about that movie (the 50 henchmen, Connor McIrish, Kimmy Schmidt: Night Club Hacker, trying to figure out the timing of the heist considering how everything went to shit for hours yet they were still able to complete it on time, Dr. Doom talking like a 60 year old man), it's the dialogue that will stick with me the most. I think it's better/worse than Geostorm.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
A Billy Wilder double feature:

Love In The Afternoon.- A middle-aged playboy (Gary Cooper) becomes fascinated by the daughter (Audrey Hepburn) of a private detective (Maurice Chevalier) who has been hired to entrap him with the wife of a client (John McGiver).

I swear they were using all sorts of tricks to cover up how old Cooper looked. Hepburn really had it going on in this movie. She even looked great wearing a pantsuit.

Sabrina. (1954) - A playboy (William Holden) becomes interested in the daughter (Audrey Hepburn) of his family's chauffeur (John Williams), but it's his more serious brother (Humphrey Bogart) who would be the better man for her.

While I thought LITA was the overall funnier movie, it was great watching the three leads work together. The funniest moments in the movie are the scenes featuring Bogart and Holden's father, played by Walter Hampden and surprisingly Hepburn's suicide attempt.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
DEADPOOL 2. Loved it. The parachute drop is genius and there's a great dig at Rob Liefeld in there that's a bit hard to catch.
It wasn’t hard to catch, but It probably went over most people’s heads. Slight difference.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
Judgement at Nuremberg.- In 1948, an American court in occupied Germany tries four Nazi judges for war crimes.

Its a great courtroom drama that is another example of why there should have been an Academy Award for Best Ensemble Cast. Spencer Tracey, Burt Lancaster, Marlene Dietrich, Richard Widmark, Judy Garland, Montgomery Cliff, and Maximilian Schell. Schell did win the Oscar for Best Actor, playing the defense attorney for the judges. Cliff was nominated for Best Supporting Actor. No offense to George Chakris, but Cliff should have won. While he is only in one scene, its a powerful moment in a movie full of them.

Another thing I liked about it was how some of the scenes were filmed and the way camera moved when changing perspective.

This is the third Oscar nominated movie from 1961 that I have seen. The other two being West Side Story and The Guns of Navarone. Since WSS is one of the best musicals of all time, I could see why it won that year. Plus given the subject matter, JAN may have been a little ahead of its time.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
The Gambler (1974). The only thing that's standing between your skull and a baseball bat is my word. James Caan gets $44,000 in debt to some fine gentlemen who would break your arms for $10,000. There's great performances from a boatload of familiar faces, but this is all Caan. He almost makes me understand how someone could wind up addicted to something as retarded as gambling. Great ending. Written by renowned creeper James Toback, who apparently actually has talent.

The Gambler (2014). Mostly the same story, this time with Marky Mark owing over a quarter million dollars. And again, lots of great performances from the supporting characters, including John Goodman, Michael K. Williams, and Jessica Lange. Even Wahlberg is good, even though the script doesn't give him anywhere near the depth as Caan's version. I enjoyed the first hour and a half or so way more than I expected until the completely bullshit ending.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
What A Way To Go.- A four-time widow (Shirley MacLaine) discusses her four marriages, in which all of her husbands became incredibly rich and died prematurely because of their drive to be rich.

In a role that was intended for Marilyn Monroe, MacLaine reminds you how cute/beautiful/sexy she used to be. Her four husbands are played by Dick Van Dyke, Paul Newman, Robert Mitchum, and Gene Kelly respectively. The marriage sequences are told through a series flashbacks and are also spoofs of different movie genres. One of them giving new meaning to the term "prepping the bull". Overall a very entertaining movie.

Dean Martin is in it too. I think I'm confident in saying that this will be the only one of his movies that I will ever see.