Movie Last Movie You Watched Part 2

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
@Stormrider666

Watching Bridge on the River Kwai made me think about how many World War 2 movies were made throughout the 1940s and 1960s (many of them classics) yet during the 1970s they practically stopped. Between Patton (1970 so it might as well be a '60s' film) and the Thin Red Line/Saving Private Ryan twofer of 1998, can you think of many WW2 movies between that period? (I guess Schindler's List, but that's more Holocaust.)

I wonder how much of that was the Vietnam Effect (people not wanting to see military movies/military heroism) and how much of it was the well running dry.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
@Stormrider666

Watching Bridge on the River Kwai made me think about how many World War 2 movies were made throughout the 1940s and 1960s (many of them classics) yet during the 1970s they practically stopped. Between Patton (1970 so it might as well be a '60s' film) and the Thin Red Line/Saving Private Ryan twofer of 1998, can you think of many WW2 movies between that period? (I guess Schindler's List, but that's more Holocaust.)

I wonder how much of that was the Vietnam Effect (people not wanting to see military movies/military heroism) and how much of it was the well running dry.
I think its a combination of both. There were a few after 1970. A Bridge Too Far, The Devil's Brigade, Force 10 From Navarone, Midway, etc. But I don't think any of those movies stand out like the ones that preceded them.

Speaking of WW 2 movies and the the Vietnam Effect, I re-watched Kelly's Heroes. It was even better the second time around. Although I can't believe I missed The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly reference before. Its a shame that 20 minutes was cut from the movie and we didn't get to to see it see it as Eastwood and company intended. They thought it could be on the same level as M*A*S*H.

Dec 12, 2007
Ronin 1989

Jean Reno - "What do you want for Christmas?"

DeNiro - "My two front teeth"

I HATE THIS MOVIE!

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Ronin 1989

I HATE THIS MOVIE!
It's 98! You fucked it up twice. I was going to let it go once. Once. Not twice, Dyslexic.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
@Stormrider666

All of it was the vietnam effect. It’s why you stopped getting Vietnam movies during and after the gulf war.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Alpha, Alphas?, Alpha2?, AlphaDog? - 2018 has been a fantastic year for movies. This...is not one of them. Your epic caveman tale should not be less than 90 minutes. I can't even vouch for it it's too boring, but there are plenty of REL moments. Why anyone would think a caveman movie in 2018 would work perplexes me, as well as the timeline of the movie. And it's a caveman movie. Timeline should not matter.

Sorry To Bother You - 2018 has been a fantastic year for movie. This...is definitely one of them. Really funny, really clever, really dark. I can't remember the last genuinely amusing sci-fi-ish satire, but this definitely nails it. I think writer/director Boots Riley can pull off Stranger in a Strange Land. And Armie Hammer continues his streak of choosing horrible blockbusters but absolutely nailing the smaller films.

Discoman

Donator
Feb 21, 2010
New York
I think its a combination of both. There were a few after 1970. A Bridge Too Far, The Devil's Brigade, Force 10 From Navarone, Midway, etc. But I don't think any of those movies stand out like the ones that preceded them.

Speaking of WW 2 movies and the the Vietnam Effect, I re-watched Kelly's Heroes. It was even better the second time around. Although I can't believe I missed The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly reference before. Its a shame that 20 minutes was cut from the movie and we didn't get to to see it see it as Eastwood and company intended. They thought it could be on the same level as M*A*S*H.
It's a shame they left in like the 10 minutes of them just running around before confronting the Tiger Tank, but don't go into the scenes about their backstories.

Ronin 1989

I HATE THIS MOVIE!
I also hate when DeNiro tears into Sean Bean's plan. Like what, one shooter couldn't be elevated up and therefore no cross fire.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
The sad thing is, now I think Skyscraper is at the top of my movie list.
You think that's sad?

What the hell summer movie could have even been above that besides maybe Infinity War?

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
You think that's sad?

What the hell summer movie could have even been above that besides maybe Infinity War?
After The Hurricane Heist, most conventionally bad movies will be a let down. You need Book of Henry/Jurassic World level fuckery to excite me.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
After The Hurricane Heist, most conventionally bad movies will be a let down. You need Book of Henry/Jurassic World level fuckery to excite me.
Guess I can't argue that. I actually second guessed making Geostorm the second feature after The Last Jedi because I feel like it's not quite as good as HH. But I think it will still go over well.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Guess I can't argue that. I actually second guessed making Geostorm the second feature after The Last Jedi because I feel like it's not quite as good as HH. But I think it will still go over well.
THH. The 'The' in the title really throws me.

Agent Maggie Grace will be an HitW legend.

Last edited:

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
Speaking of dykes, I watched my first Greta Garbo movie after reading that Hitchcock wanted her to come out of retirement for The Paradine Case. I can add Queen Christina (1933) to my very short list of movies older than 1940 that are just great movies, not "good for their age." I normally would want nothing to do with a biographical costume drama about a Swedish war that took place in the 1600s, but this was easily acquirable in HD. I knew I was in when the King of Sweden dies and his six-year-old daughter cleverly ad-libs her ascendancy speech. Garbo plays her as an adult, and she's oozing with charisma, even though she spends the first half of the movie dressed as a man (and mouth kissing a hot countess, hence my dyke comment). It has a lot of very funny moments, and does a tremendous job of building anticipation for The Scene, and it doesn't disappoint when it finally happens. And now I finally know where a certain iconic Garbo photo came from - the ending of this movie.
I thought this was excellent. One of the things that I liked about Garbo's performance was that she had the mannerisms of a female, who had been raised as a male. Just like the real Queen Christina had been. It seems this movie got a lot right about her. Including her relationships with women. The only thing they had to fictionalize was the reason why she abdicated the throne. Speaking of which, I thought the scenes with Garbo and her husband John Gilbert were some the best parts of the movie. Its a shame Gilbert was one of those actors whose career didn't survive the transition to "talkies".

Dec 12, 2007
I also hate when DeNiro tears into Sean Bean's plan. Like what, one shooter couldn't be elevated up and therefore no cross fire.
Atrocious.

Another awful moment with DeNiro is after he gets shot and is bleeding out in the car. He puts on this stroke victim mouth to signify that he's in pain but the rest of his face is completely normal. I'm not saying he has to do as good a job as Steve Buscemi in Fargo but put in a little effort.

But if there's one thing to remember about this movie. Its the laughter....

Now that's comedy.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I thought this was excellent. One of the things that I liked about Garbo's performance was that she had the mannerisms of a female, who had been raised as a male. Just like the real Queen Christina had been. It seems this movie got a lot right about her. Including her relationships with women. The only thing they had to fictionalize was the reason why she abdicated the throne. Speaking of which, I thought the scenes with Garbo and her husband John Gilbert were some the best parts of the movie. Its a shame Gilbert was one of those actors whose career didn't survive the transition to "talkies".
In news only interesting to you and @Hog's Big Ben , Criterion is releasing a crazy 30-disc Ingmar Bergman box set

https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/1427-ingmar-bergman-s-cinema

DiggerNick

Donator
Oct 9, 2012
Your sister's underwear drawer

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
Under Capricorn (1949, UK). Picture it: Sydney, the 1830s, a prison colony. The guvner's slacker cousin Michael Wilding, newly arrived from Ireland, accepts an invitation to dinner with shady ex-con Joseph Cotten where he meets Cotten's familiar wife Ingrid Bergman, who's clearly a drunken mental disaster. It's a weird talky love-triangle with a mystery in the background, and a great performance from Margaret Leighton as a cunty housekeeper. Hitchcock is fucking around with long takes again after Rope, giving Bergman an especially well-acted critical scene. It's nowhere near as bad as I expected. It's right up there with Hitchcock's second-tier movies from that same time period - better than The Paradine Case, I Confess, and The Wrong Man; and not quite as good as Stage Fright. My only gripe is it's another dogshit Technicolor movie with plenty of other issues. I swear it would look better converted to black and white and then colorized. I actually watched it in black and white. Now that it's finally out on Blu-ray, there's only three significant Hitchcock movies unavailable in HD: Secret Agent, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, and Stage Fright.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York