Movie Last Movie You Watched Part 2

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
ZODIAC is definitely in the back of your mind while watching it, mainly for the presence of Gyllenhaal, who is gradually becoming my favourite actor working right now.

With PRISONERS, NOCTURNAL ANIMALS and NIGHTCRAWLER he has three incredible movies of the last few years where he is completely different in each one.
He's not my favorite but I cant think of anyone who has improved more than he has. Now that I think about it, McConaughey and Pitt both improved a ton too.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
Here's something to consider. Hitchcock is always going to be considered the best thriller director because he did it first but are his top four thrillers better than Seven, The Game, Zodiac, and Girl with Tattoo?

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Here's something to consider. Hitchcock is always going to be considered the best thriller director because he did it first but are his top four thrillers better than Seven, The Game, Zodiac, and Girl with Tattoo?
I will probably sound like a hack, but I thought Fincher’s Tattoo was blah and nowhere near as good as the original. I mostly blame Daniel Craig I think. And Rooney Mara. And Fincher. But other than that I guess it was ok.

I have to rewatch The Game. I’ve seen people here rave about it. I saw it in the theater when it came out and thought it was stupid.

Late to the party piggy wants to give a shoutout to @Lord Zero for someone finally giving License to Kill some respect. By far the most underrated Bond film.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Late to the party piggy wants to give a shoutout to @Lord Zero for someone finally giving License to Kill some respect. By far the most underrated Bond film.
"Bless your heart." :)

License to Kill is under a lot of people's radar, and yeah, it might be the most underrated Bond film. Timothy Dalton was a great Bond, Pam Bouvier was a great Bond girl, Sanchez was a great villain, Dario was a great henchman, and the story is one of the only pre-Craig Bond stories that gives 007 an actual, proper character arc.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Can we talk a little bit about how weird and lovely the score to GoldenEye is? (On this track, I'm especially fond of the cue at the 1:30 mark, when Ourumov first appears on screen.)

As good as it is, though, it's not as good as the video game's score.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
I will probably sound like a hack, but I thought Fincher’s Tattoo was blah and nowhere near as good as the original. I mostly blame Daniel Craig I think. And Rooney Mara. And Fincher. But other than that I guess it was ok.

I have to rewatch The Game. I’ve seen people here rave about it. I saw it in the theater when it came out and thought it was stupid.
We've hit on this before. I bring up Fincher too much, more than any other director for some reason.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
We've hit on this before. I bring up Fincher too much, more than any other director for some reason.
Fincher has one of the more interesting careers of any director. He’s easily the most influential director of this generation, which is something I don’t think many people give him credit for. But he does strange things sometimes. Dragon Tattoo was one of them. WWZ2 might be even stranger.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Fincher has one of the more interesting careers of any director. He’s easily the most influential director of this generation, which is something I don’t think many people give him credit for. But he does strange things sometimes. Dragon Tattoo was one of them. WWZ2 might be even stranger.
I'd say Gone Girl is stranger than Dragon Tattoo and WWZ2 is far stranger than both of them combined times 1000.

Wasn't he also set to direct the sequel to Snow White and the Huntsman at some point?

Speaking of directors with other things to do, the guy doing Spider's Web - Fede Alvarez - is linked to a sequel to Labyrinth that's in pre-pre-production. Considering how that movie will never happen, I'm wondering how many directors attach themselves to projects they know will never get off the ground just to reap the financial benefits during pre-production.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
I saw this question last night and wanted to give it some thought before answering. I have never seen The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, so I can't comment on that one. Also full disclosure, Hitchcock is my favorite director.

Those three Fincher films have moments in them that are the very definition of the word suspense. In a head to head match up between Psycho and Seven, I think I would be willing to concede the victory to Fincher. But I'm not sure I could say the same if I were pit the other two against Vertigo and North by Northwest.

This might be just like trying to compare athletes of two different generations or two different sports.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I saw this question last night and wanted to give it some thought before answering. I have never seen The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, so I can't comment on that one. Also full disclosure, Hitchcock is my favorite director.

Those three Fincher films have moments in them that are the very definition of the word suspense. In a head to head match up between Psycho and Seven, I think I would be willing to concede the victory to Fincher. But I'm not sure I could say the same if I were pit the other two against Vertigo and North by Northwest.

This might be just like trying to compare athletes of two different generations or two different sports.
Also, Hitchcock pioneered so many things. Fincher built off them, certainly, but Hitchcock created them. Invention versus innovation. Shoulders of giants.

And as great as Fincher is, I don't see him anywhere nearly as groundbreaking as Hitchcock. Hitchcock developed a "language of cinema." I don't think Fincher has. And while I get why one might prefer an F to an H because of modern sensibilities and pacing, I don't think it's a competition.

But speaking of spooky directors, I started watching Hill House and I think Flannagan has some chops. Obviously not in either wheelhouse, but he's one to watch.

DiggerNick

Donator
Oct 9, 2012
Your sister's underwear drawer
But speaking of spooky directors, I started watching Hill House and I think Flannagan has some chops. Obviously not in either wheelhouse, but he's one to watch.
I haven't watched the show yet, and am still avoiding spoilers. All I've heard is people raving about episode six for some reason, like it's the second-coming of horror.

But I've been a fan of Mike Flanagan since his super-creepy low budget debut ABSENTIA. I think that guy has a natural grasp of atmosphere that most directors couldn't be taught.

DiggerNick

Donator
Oct 9, 2012
You gave to go through Brian De Palma before you get to Fincher.

What Hitchcock invented De Palma took to whole different levels.

Discoman

Donator
Feb 21, 2010
New York
You have to give Hitchcock a handicap just because audiences and censors at the time would only let you get away with so much. Out of the 4 Fincher's the two I've seen, GWDT and Se7en have very brutal moments to set the tone that you wouldn't have in Hitchcock's time. Imagine if Hitchcock was allowed to go further in Pyscho, especially with everything else Ed Gein did.

I heard Fincher is a perfectionist as well so it makes sense pound for pound that he could have the better overall films. Fincher is 56 years old with 10 completed films, while Hitchcock by the time he was 60 he had already 50 feature films to his credit. To be fair Fincher came into it at age 30 and had his career stalled because of Alien 3, but there are few that can make so many consistently good films as Hitchcock did.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
I haven't watched the show yet, and am still avoiding spoilers. All I've heard is people raving about episode six for some reason, like it's the second-coming of horror.

But I've been a fan of Mike Flanagan since his super-creepy low budget debut ABSENTIA. I think that guy has a natural grasp of atmosphere that most directors couldn't be taught.
I just found out Absentia was a Kickstarter project. $70,000 for that vs. $60,000 for Jim's cartoon. It's hard to tell which backers got ripped off worse.
Thanks. I guess I don't need to watch The Haunting of Hill House now.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
You have to give Hitchcock a handicap just because audiences and censors at the time would only let you get away with so much. Out of the 4 Fincher's the two I've seen, GWDT and Se7en have very brutal moments to set the tone that you wouldn't have in Hitchcock's time. Imagine if Hitchcock was allowed to go further in Pyscho, especially with everything else Ed Gein did.

I heard Fincher is a perfectionist as well so it makes sense pound for pound that he could have the better overall films. Fincher is 56 years old with 10 completed films, while Hitchcock by the time he was 60 he had already 50 feature films to his credit. To be fair Fincher came into it at age 30 and had his career stalled because of Alien 3, but there are few that can make so many consistently good films as Hitchcock did.
It's also interesting in that Hitchcock started in the 1920s. His first movies, for all intents and purposes, were the first movies. And I can't think of many other directors who spanned that time period - Capra? Ford? - but Hitchcock still feels fresher than either of them.

I don't know my thoughts on Brian De Palma. I've liked his movies, but I never saw him as amazing or some great artiste as others do. Maybe I should watch some of his stuff again. I actually have Dressed To Kill DVR'ed off THIS.

Discoman

Donator
Feb 21, 2010
New York
It's also interesting in that Hitchcock started in the 1920s. His first movies, for all intents and purposes, were the first movies. And I can't think of many other directors who spanned that time period - Capra? Ford? - but Hitchcock still feels fresher than either of them.

I don't know my thoughts on Brian De Palma. I've liked his movies, but I never saw him as amazing or some great artiste as others do. Maybe I should watch some of his stuff again. I actually have Dressed To Kill DVR'ed off THIS.
Essentially any Director that made a WW2 contemporary documentary or a propaganda film fits that time frame, so you can include George Stevens and William Wyler. The bar is rather low for being a director in the 20's, you don't think of Chaplin as a director but I see he directed films in every decade from 1916-1967.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Essentially any Director that made a WW2 contemporary documentary or a propaganda film fits that time frame, so you can include George Stevens and William Wyler. The bar is rather low for being a director in the 20's, you don't think of Chaplin as a director but I see he directed films in every decade from 1916-1967.
I do. I just forgot how long he was around.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
You gave to go through Brian De Palma before you get to Fincher.

What Hitchcock invented De Palma took to whole different levels.
Speaking of Brian De Palma:

Blow Out.- A movie sound recordist (John Travolta) accidentally records the evidence that proves that a car accident was actually murder and consequently finds himself in danger.

I thought it was a very good thriller. Much better than Blow Up. Its also one of the few times that you can say John Travolta was good in something. It co-stars Nancy Allen, John Lithgow, and Dennis Franz.

DiggerNick

Donator
Oct 9, 2012

Blow Out.- A movie sound recordist (John Travolta) accidentally records the evidence that proves that a car accident was actually murder and consequently finds himself in danger.

I thought it was a very good thriller. Much better than Blow Up. Its also one of the few times that you can say John Travolta was good in something. It co-stars Nancy Allen, John Lithgow, and Dennis Franz.
It's probably his best film. Although I tend towards the populist perfection of THE UNTOUCHABLES.

Hog's Big Ben

Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
I haven't seen half of Hitchcock's movies from Vertigo on, and the rest haven't been since the VHS days. Time for a marathon. But fuck Topaz.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005

I don't think I ever saw Blow Out. I knew it was very well regarded, but I think I saw Blown Away instead and thought I missed something.

Hog's Big Ben

Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York

Middle school me loved Blow Out. I think that was one of those tamer R-rated movies like Dog Day Afternoon and Private Benjamin that Showtime ran at noon weekdays during the summer. I barely remember it. Gahhh something else to rewatch...

Dec 12, 2007
Kong Skull Island - OMG did that SUCK! It fucking stinks! Its awful! How fuck did that get 3 and a half stars on the TV guide? That's a blatant lie.

BTW, I skipped my workout for the first time in 3 weeks because the star rating tricked me into thinking I had to watch this. 3 weeks!!!! Now I gotta do 2 workouts in a single day to make up for this.

Last edited: