Movie Last Movie You Watched Part 2

Bird Box.

Meh. The music was great (Reznor/Ross) and some of the acting was on point but the focus on strangers in the apocalypse has been done to death (would have preferred a movie just about the river journey with very minor flashback material) and some parts were over-explained to the point of exasperation.

Not terrible but nothing special.

LiddyRules

She Is Not My BFF. She Is Not.
Holmes and Watson - oof. This wasn't good. And it was bad in many ways. It's the type of movie that should have been more rapid fire with jokes and background gags to where it didn't matter how bad each gag was individually, you would have been overwhelmed/won over by the quantity of stupid absurdity. Or more pointed with the ones they have. Instead it was both/neither.

But the real problem is Will Ferrell. Everyone else is decent enough (including ridiculously underused Brydon, Coogan, and especially Laurie who appears in one scene as Mycroft and outshines everyone), but Ferrell brings the entire movie down. I'm not anti-Ferrell, but he is actively unfunny here. He doesn't even do his shtick well. It was like he was doing his shtick based on someone poorly, briefly explaining to him what his shtick was.

While the movie was obviously meant for Team Ferrell (I actually think Borat was originally Watson, but I could be wrong), I kept wondering whether this was supposed to be "Watson and Holmes" instead. That's not just because Reilly is much better (he is, but that's neither here nor there), but the main crux of the movie is Watson trying to gain Holmes' respect and be considered a co-detective. I think it would have played a lot better had Sherlock been the secondary character and it's told primarily from Watson's perspective. And this way it would have had some sort of hook outside of slapstick.

Hall (who plays an American for some reason and speaks in what I can only describe as the girl version of the Dr. Strange/Dr. House voice), Lapkus, and McDonald look fantastic though.

And you know how I occasionally ask if the Ghost/Unchained Melody parody that was so popular in the early 90s still tracks with kids of today? Well, looks like Cohen wanted to find out too.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
Holmes and Watson - oof. This wasn't good. And it was bad in many ways. It's the type of movie that should have been more rapid fire with jokes and background gags to where it didn't matter how bad each gag was individually, you would have been overwhelmed/won over by the quantity of stupid absurdity. Or more pointed with the ones they have. Instead it was both/neither.

But the real problem is Will Ferrell. Everyone else is decent enough (including ridiculously underused Brydon, Coogan, and especially Laurie who appears in one scene as Mycroft and outshines everyone), but Ferrell brings the entire movie down. I'm not anti-Ferrell, but he is actively unfunny here. He doesn't even do his shtick well. It was like he was doing his shtick based on someone poorly, briefly explaining to him what his shtick was.

While the movie was obviously meant for Team Ferrell (I actually think Borat was originally Watson, but I could be wrong), I kept wondering whether this was supposed to be "Watson and Holmes" instead. That's not just because Reilly is much better (he is, but that's neither here nor there), but the main crux of the movie is Watson trying to gain Holmes' respect and be considered a co-detective. I think it would have played a lot better had Sherlock been the secondary character and it's told primarily from Watson's perspective. And this way it would have had some sort of hook outside of slapstick.

Hall (who plays an American for some reason and speaks in what I can only describe as the girl version of the Dr. Strange/Dr. House voice), Lapkus, and McDonald look fantastic though.

And you know how I occasionally ask if the Ghost/Unchained Melody parody that was so popular in the early 90s still tracks with kids of today? Well, looks like Cohen wanted to find out too.
Did it fall into the same trap A Million Ways to Die in the West did? Like that whole "oh wow, this is so crazy for the 1800s" type of thing?

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
On the plus side, we can make fun of Kirk when he calls it the best movie of the year.

LiddyRules

This is a sentence that should be included anytime he's involved with anything.
There's this Swedish movie called Force Majeure. It's a decent comedy about:

A man's selfish reaction to the danger posed by an avalanche causes cracks in his marriage and relationships with his children.

This is the scene (blue jacket is the man)

I read it's being remade with Julia Louis Dreyfus, who's solid, and ... Will Ferrell. And I dread to think of how Ferrell plays the above scene.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator

A man's selfish reaction to the danger posed by an avalanche causes cracks in his marriage and relationships with his children.

I read it's being remade with Julia Louis Dreyfus, who's solid, and ... Will Ferrell. And I dread to think of how Ferrell plays the above scene.
That's going to be interesting. Nice premise for a comedy.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator

Which completely unnecessary foreign remake will be worse? This looks awful, and I actually like Kevin Hart.

LiddyRules

Which completely unnecessary foreign remake will be worse? This looks awful, and I actually like Kevin Hart.

Why you hate gay people?

There's also this

I like the Cranston/Hart movie because every January there's a couple of prestige-looking dramas that come out that aren't good so they can't in good conscience release them in December for the awards push, but they can package them to look like they were limited release in December for unsuspecting audiences.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jesus. They definitely remade the trailer. Of course I'll be watching both of them.

That reminds me - I watched The Snowman back when the Blu-ray came out. It wasn't bad. Definitely not 8% on RT bad, anyway.

Floyd1977

I want to say yes to be a dick, but it's not even bad enough to be entertainingly bad. For better or worse, at least Seth has a voice.
Not even HitW worthy?

And I suppose I shouldn’t be holding my breath for Step Brothers 2 as a result of this?

Floyd1977

I actually think a guy named Bill Kaysing started the moon landing conspiracy thing. I read his book on it after finding it in my local library as a youngster.

Also, I haven't seen it in forever, but I remember enjoying Sneakers.
Speaking of which I watched the doc “FilmWorker” the other night. It’s about Leon Vitali, who was Kubrick’s long time assistant. Some interesting insights if you have interest in Kubrick. This guy had to be Johnny on the spot for everything in such minutiae like detail.

Movies I saw on my flights to/from Japan:

Venom - yeesh. So bad. It was also edited to shit for the plane but just derived no joy from it.

The Meg - Awful and hilariously panders to China.

Skyscraper: Awful except for the Rock. Also hilariously panders to China.

Searching: Well-done concept. Better than Unfriended.

Soldado - only saw half but enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

Also Bad Times at the El Royale which I said in a previous post that I liked a lot.

Movies I saw on my flights to/from Japan:

Venom - yeesh. So bad. It was also edited to shit for the plane but just derived no joy from it.

The Meg - Awful and hilariously panders to China.

Skyscraper: Awful except for the Rock. Also hilariously panders to China.

Searching: Well-done concept. Better than Unfriended.

Soldado - only saw half but enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

Also Bad Times at the El Royale which I said in a previous post that I liked a lot.
You son of a bitch. You'll watch all these awful movies but not Golden Kamuy?

I'll duct tape your eyes open like Clockwork Orange and force you to watch it if I have to.

You son of a bitch. You'll watch all these awful movies but not Golden Kamuy?

I'll duct tape your eyes open like Clockwork Orange and force you to watch it if I have to.
I was on flights and I didn't bring a laptop to Japan.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
I did a search for Bandersnatch and nothing came up. Has no one discussed it or is search not working for me again?

It thought it was great.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
I did a search for Bandersnatch and nothing came up. Has no one discussed it or is search not working for me again?

It thought it was great.
It was fun as a thing to play with. As a movie...pfft.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih

It thought it was great.
IIRC, @Pigdango called it that Black Mirror "choose your own adventure movie," but it didn't really go much further than him saying something like "Goddammit Netflix."

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator