Movie Last Movie You Watched Part 2

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
I wouldn't necessarily call it a lack of empathy. At least from me. Because The Florida Project is a slice of life movie and I can't sing its praises highly enough.

And I wouldn't call it a lack of film sophistication because we watch a fuckton of movies spanning all genres and eras. It's not like we're a @Pigdango who ranks Infinity War above the Mona Lisa but above David as far as man's greatest artistic achievements. (I'm kidding, I'm kidding. I know you put it above David.)

But it feels that to truly appreciate Roma, you need to discuss it in stuff film theorist voice. "Harumph, if you notice the mise en scene of when they're standing outside the cinema, you'll recognize..."

Maybe it's edge. Maybe what we're looking for in movies is some edginess - not in a shock jock way - but a bit of grit and darkness. Whether it's in the narrative, the look, or a character that's a bit unexpected. None of the characters in Roma had that bit of pizazz. But if a character had pizazz it might not have felt right in the movie? And this movie does everything right to the point where it's missing something. It's a similar problem I had with Call Me By Your Name. It did everything right for the movie it was, but it just didn't connect with me. (Though I like it more thinking back on it.)

I can't imagine that we're the only people who feel that way, but that's not a flaw in the movie, it's a personal preference. So I think a lot of the praise comes less because people emotionally connected with it, and more because it accomplished what it set out to accomplish quite well. And you don't want to be the asshole who picks Escape Room over Roma.
I liked the Florida Project. I didn’t realize you hated Infinity War.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot in the Galaxy
I guess I need to finally watch that. Fuckin' Sandy Kane.

That's another similarity with The 400 Blows. This is an exact commentary quote from a random scene: "After he's been found out in his lies and publicly chastised, we see Antoine descending the angle of the staircase from upper left to lower right. Students of visual literacy recognize in this movement a parallel to a graph of declining fortunes, reinforcing Antoine's descent in moral as well as physical terms." My brain doesn't work like that, and there has to be some significant appeal to the movie to begin with before you ever get to breaking down scenes like that.

That's fair, and those are the kinds of movies I'm drawn to, but I also thoroughly enjoyed Gifted and Akeelah and the Bee.

Swingin' Dick Soldier Boy had pizzazz. If the protests were explained, I missed it. But yeah, I think that's it. I didn't care about anyone or anything in Roma. And that's not me being unable to care about "those people." I thought City of God was amazing. In Roma's case, "those people" were too mundane. Was that the point - in contrast to the turmoil around them?

I don't even know what it accomplished aside from getting two less-than-enthusiastic viewers talking about it.
We can like 'nicer' movies or more empathetic movies, but I don't know what it is with this one that keeps it from connecting with us. You more than me. I also don't know who else we can bring into this discussion to figure out what we're missing. @Stormrider666 @HandPanzer ?

But this definitely does open the Best Picture race more than I thought it would. Because Roma is winning all the critic's awards, and this isn't Best Picture worthy. Maybe it would have been in the 2000s, but if they're trying to (a) be more populist/less pretentious and/or (b) be more socially conscious, this doesn't fit any of those qualifications.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
We can like 'nicer' movies or more empathetic movies, but I don't know what it is with this one that keeps it from connecting with us. You more than me. I also don't know who else we can bring into this discussion to figure out what we're missing. @Stormrider666 @HandPanzer ?

But this definitely does open the Best Picture race more than I thought it would. Because Roma is winning all the critic's awards, and this isn't Best Picture worthy. Maybe it would have been in the 2000s, but if they're trying to (a) be more populist/less pretentious and/or (b) be more socially conscious, this doesn't fit any of those qualifications.
I still have to get around to seeing Roma, but I can't help but wonder if some of the inability to connect with it is due to it being a Spanish language film. That's not to say you can't empathize with or appreciate it, just that sometimes the translation loses something and causes situations and characters to come off differently than intended. I'll have to watch it in order to be certain, but I've noticed issues with Netflix translations from time to time in the past.

LiddyRules

I still have to get around to seeing Roma, but I can't help but wonder if some of the inability to connect with it is due to it being a Spanish language film. That's not to say you can't empathize with or appreciate it, just that sometimes the translation loses something and causes situations and characters to come off differently than intended. I'll have to watch it in order to be certain, but I've noticed issues with Netflix translations from time to time in the past.
Of course. It's our fault for being white.

Pigdango

Donator

Won’t it just win best foreign language film?

LiddyRules

Won’t it just win best foreign language film?
Probably. Though I am looking forward to Cold "Bond Killer" War. I am also going to say Cinematography. But the way Critics Awards are going goofy over it, it was positioned as a Best Picture favorite-ish. And it won't be. It might get nominated, but no way it wins.

I wonder what other movies I need to see with Best Picture potential. Christ. Biel Street? Starburns? The Greenbook? I need to see Bohemian Rhapsody, don't I?

Pigdango

Donator
Probably. Though I am looking forward to Cold "Bond Killer" War. I am also going to say Cinematography. But the way Critics Awards are going goofy over it, it was positioned as a Best Picture favorite-ish. And it won't be. It might get nominated, but no way it wins.

I wonder what other movies I need to see with Best Picture potential. Christ. Biel Street? Starburns? The Greenbook? I need to see Bohemian Rhapsody, don't I?
I haven’t checked @Jacuzzi Billy ’s betting odds, but I feel like Rhapsody is the front runner right now. If Green Book peeps weren’t constantly getting in trouble it could steal it like Moonlight stole it from La La.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Donator

I haven't seen Roma and I'll probably never will, but I think you and @Hog's Big Ben summed up things perfectly. I can appreciate a film for being well crafted and I can appreciate the passion that some people have for it. For example, the people at CineFix love Andrei Tarkovsky's films. Especially The Mirror. While my wheelhouse has expanded over the past decade, from the way they talk about them and from what I have seen, I know they are not for me. Now matter how a great film is, there has to be something that connects me to it on a personal level.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
I haven’t checked @Jacuzzi Billy ’s betting odds, but I feel like Rhapsody is the front runner right now. If Green Book peeps weren’t constantly getting in trouble it could steal it like Moonlight stole it from La La.
Pretty tight race this year:

Roma 13/8
Star 11/4
Green Book 6/1
Rhap 10/1

Pigdango

Donator
Searching - it was pretty boring. So boring I didn’t see the twist coming, so that’s something I guess.

DiggerNick

Donator
SUSPIRIA (2017)

An extraordinary piece of work. People jizzing over that dogshit HALLOWEEN reboot while barely anyone saw this is a travesty.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
The White Ribbon (2009, Germany). Before the outbreak of World War I, a doctor returns to his small village on horseback and is seriously injured by a wire that trips his horse, leading to a series of escalating seemingly retaliatory incidents...or so our unreliable schoolteacher narrator tells us. I suppose this is a horror movie masquerading as a mystery if you follow the breadcrumbs to their unspoken conclusion, but even without the subtext its an intense stark (black & white, no score) experience. I loved it.

@Hog's Big Ben

Can't remember if you commented on either of these, but if you haven't, next twofer?

Roma
The White Ribbon
Roma shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as The White Ribbon. How did you connect these two aside from historical, black & white, and foreign? Also thank you for putting it on my radar. I doubt I would've ever known of its existence otherwise.

LiddyRules

The White Ribbon (2009, Germany). Before the outbreak of World War I, a doctor returns to his small village on horseback and is seriously injured by a wire that trips his horse, leading to a series of escalating seemingly retaliatory incidents...or so our unreliable schoolteacher narrator tells us. I suppose this is a horror movie masquerading as a mystery if you follow the breadcrumbs to their unspoken conclusion, but even without the subtext its an intense stark (black & white, no score) experience. I loved it.

Roma shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as The White Ribbon. How did you connect these two aside from historical, black & white, and foreign? Also thank you for putting it on my radar. I doubt I would've ever known of its existence otherwise.
Those superficial reasons. Plus how they will get Best Cinematography. And war.

But for whatever stupid reason, at some point in Roma, I started thinking about how much I enjoyed White Ribbon. And how it had everything I felt missing from Roma.

Regardless, it got you to watch it. So win win.

DiggerNick

Donator
BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY

Very well acted. But this is nothing more than the big-budget version of the cheap-ass VH1 biopic HYSTERIA: THE DEF LEPPARD STORY. Massive compression of real-life events into convenient, film-friendly acts.

Opie&JimmyShow

Donator
A Star is Born 7/10
It was a little slow. However, the acting was amazing. Cooper, GaGa and Sam Elliott could win Oscars for their performances. The soundtrack is good too.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
A Star Is Born (2018). Drunk musician Bradley Cooper stumbles into a drag bar after a gig and discovers Lady Gaga belting out La Vie En Rose and introduces her to fame just as his is fading. Those two are excellent, and the first three or four hours were great, but Jesus Christ. The songs were all actually pretty good, too, but we get it - she's got a phenomenal voice - wrap it up already.

Close (2019). Bodyguard Noomi Rapace is hired to protect the hot teen heiress of a mining empire in North Africa. I only made it 25 minutes into the HitWorthy turd that is The Girl in the Spider's Web, so I hoped a movie with the real Lisbeth Salander would be better. But it's a Netflix original, so it's just barely better...only because of Noomi's performance, and the now-grown girl from The Book Thief showing side boob.

The Hate U Give (2018). Amandla Stenberg sees her friend gunned down at the hands of a twitchy cop and deals with the aftermath from her friends at home in the hood and her friends in her other life at a white prep school. It does everything right as far as being fair with the racial stuff, but it could've been so much better. The acting gets dramatically worse the further you go down the cast list. A movie whose title is a profane 2Pac reference shouldn't force characters that say it to substitute "eff" for "fuck" just to keep the PG-13 rating. And hire somebody to clean up the script so it sounds like words actual humans would say.

Pigdango

Donator
Destination Wedding - one of those movies that Flash gets upset when I watch. Keanu Reeves and Winona Ryder are terrible people invited to a wedding by terrible people. The IMDb user reviews are split between 9/10 and 1/10. I’m on the 9/10 side. One of the better rom-coms I’ve seen. Very funny and Reeves and Ryder still have great chemistry.

Blast away, Flash.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Destination Wedding - one of those movies that Flash gets upset when I watch. Keanu Reeves and Winona Ryder are terrible people invited to a wedding by terrible people. The IMDb user reviews are split between 9/10 and 1/10. I’m on the 9/10 side. One of the better rom-coms I’ve seen. Very funny and Reeves and Ryder still have great chemistry.

Blast away, Flash.
Judging from the trailer, I'd be pretty shocked if it was good. It looks dreadful.