Movie Last Movie You Watched Part 2

LiddyRules

The 9/11 Moon Landings Were An Outside Job
I don’t see Aquaman as a HitW candidate. It’s really long for starters.
I was thinking yesterday of the scene where Mera eats a flower, like she's The Little Mermaid. Such a bizarre moment that I kind of loved.

I also forgot to bring this up when I posted about the movie, but the score throughout was kind of nuts. It jumps from style to style (sometimes it's Ragnorak synthy, sometimes its traditional big budget action movie strings, sometimes it's whatever that Arthur/Mera Italian Love Theme was) and never entirely fits.

Should have been nominated for best visual effects though. But I'm pulling for First Man.

Yesterdays Hero

She's better than you, Smirkalicious.
I don’t see Aquaman as a HitW candidate. It’s really long for starters.
Holy fuck this pile of shit is 2 and a half hours? I'm tapping out. There's just no way I'm slogging through that. Fair point, Piggy. Understood.

3 Women.- Two roommates/physical therapists, one a vain woman (Shelley Duvall) and the other a mysterious teenager (Sissy Spacek), share a bizarre relationship.

Robert Altman made this movie after having a dream about directing a movie starring the two aforementioned actresses in an indentity theft story. Its just as weird as you would expect it to be. But in a good way. It kept my interest as I was trying to figure out what the hell was going on. Both Duvall and Spacek are great in it. Although some of Duvall's scenes are really uncomfortable to watch because of how socially awkward her character is. While its a get a little trippy towards the end, I was cool with how Altman wrapped things up. The third woman is played by Janice Rule.

Bad Times at the El Royale. I loved it. Surprised I haven't seen more people talk about it. Super super solid movie.

I liked Bad Times, but thought it lost some steam after Thor shows up. Though it's the first time I 'got' 50 Shades. And Shea Whigham really shows up in everything, which is why it was great seeing him get a weightier role in Homecoming.
I watched it last night. If I ever get around to doing a Best Movies of 2018 list, I can see it cracking the top 5.

Another candidate for that list would be Gringo.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
I watched it last night. If I ever get around to doing a Best Movies of 2018 list, I can see it cracking the top 5.

Never heard of Gringo, but I see it’s on Prime. I’ll add it to my watchlist.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
When it comes to Oscar movies, here's what's at the top of my list to see: "If Beale Street Could Talk" and "Green Book." I might see one of them in the next couple of days so let me know your preference.
Green Book was great - a comedy that's actually funny. I'm kinda surprised it was even nominated. It's not preachy enough with its message. It's almost like (gasp!) it wants to be entertaining first. Beale looks good. I'm just waiting for the Blu-ray or something better than a DVD screener.

However, I did notice BR is now On Demand -- is it worth going through just to go through?
Not unless you wanna feel like one of Singer's victims. It's offensively bad.

Because I do think it has a strong chance at Best Picture. It's not going to be Roma. Putting quality discussion - because it's really not that much better/worse than most of the other nominees - it has a couple of things against it. 1) Netflix bias. 2) It's not the image the Oscars wants to paint for themselves; they either want to be woke or populist and Roma is neither.
Why isn't it slumming with the other foreign language films? Not fully a foreign production? My brain will never understand films like that. God bless you if you can come away with anything but scorn after sitting through that nothing expecting something...anything.

If it's between Green Book and Bohemian Rhapsody, which are the two most likely frontrunners, I think it depends on the breakdown between older voters and younger ones. Because older people would prefer Green Book (kind of like how Driving Miss Daisy won) and ignore the controversies surrounding it while younger people might go for the "hipper" tale.
I bet at least 1/4 of Bohemian Rhapsody is Rami karaoke. It's not the "best" anything. I hope it's down to Green Book and A Star Is Born.

Black Panther Never finished it
BlacKkKlansman Could've been great if Spike had some self control. If you don't trust your audience to reach certain conclusions without whacking them with a ball peen hammer every 15 minutes, you don't deserve any Oscars.
The Favourite Haven't seen it, not even sure what it is aside from costume drama.
A Star Is Born I'd be happy if this walked away with a pile of statues, even though the ending was underwhelming. The acting is stellar, and all the songs (except the one that's supposed to have the biggest impact) are great, too.
Vice Fuck outta here.

My favorite movie of 2018 is Blindspotting. This is really not a deep year. I think you only need to see 12 movies to cover the top 6 awards (picture/acting/director), plus only two more for the screenplay categories.

DiggerNick

Donator
BlacKkKlansman Could've been great if Spike had some self control. If you don't trust your audience to reach certain conclusions without whacking them with a ball peen hammer every 15 minutes, you don't deserve any Oscars.
Spike Lee doesn't do self control or balance. He is a polemicist from the top of his head to the tips of his little angry black elf toes.

Occasionally a great film will come out of that. But mostly not.

Hog's Big Ben

Donator
Spike Lee doesn't do self control or balance. He is a polemicist from the top of his head to the tips of his little angry black elf toes.

Occasionally a great film will come out of that. But mostly not.
Inside Man is the only other Spike movie I remember seeing, and it was excellent. But Denzel and Jodie Foster are two of my favorite actors, so it's probably more on them than Spike.

Maybe Clockers, too, a zillion years ago.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Diggernick fun fact alert...

@LiddyRules I came across Bored to Death on prime so of course I'm watching it. I was wondering if Jonathan Ames had any new projects and I discovered You Were Never Really Here was based on his book.

Also, I wonder if Flight of the Conchords is worth a revisit.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Roma - I think I liked this more than our resident movie snobs. It reminded me of The Florida Project in the way the story unfolded from the perspective of the maid. Little dribbles of information overheard as the camera swept through each scene. It was definitely slow at times but I think that was the intent. As I’ve frequently been told, I’m not smart enough to understand everything that Cuarón was going for, (I’m sure the planes meant something?) but I thought it was a beautifully shot movie with some really impactful, emotional moments.

Certainly better than Black Panther.

But not Infinity War

LiddyRules

The 9/11 Moon Landings Were An Outside Job
Roma - I think I liked this more than our resident movie snobs. It reminded me of The Florida Project in the way the story unfolded from the perspective of the maid. Little dribbles of information overheard as the camera swept through each scene. It was definitely slow at times but I think that was the intent. As I’ve frequently been told, I’m not smart enough to understand everything that Cuarón was going for, (I’m sure the planes meant something?) but I thought it was a beautifully shot movie with some really impactful, emotional moments.

Certainly better than Black Panther.

But not Infinity War

The wavey was implicit! Implicit!

I know this might sound hypocritical, but Roma has grown on me since I first saw it. There are a lot of scenes, moments, and visuals - even minor ones - that have stuck with me. When I talked about it winning Best Cinematography, I thought it was because it does deserve it. Now, I'm not "OMG best movie," but I am a bit less lukewarm than I was initially. Maybe I was off when I first saw it. That happens sometimes.

But the important thing is that tonight we do Life Itself with Ammy Prime backup.

DiggerNick

Donator
I had to revisit one of my faves, ORPHAN.

I've always said that that movie is one of the most brilliantly acted and directed pieces of trash ever made. It's a howler.

Hog's Big Ben

Donator
No Name on the Bullet (1959). A hired killer rides into town and the locals shit themselves trying to figure out who his target is. I never thought I'd praise an Audie Murphy performance, but he's perfect here ratcheting up the paranoia with minimal effort. It's a great tight streamlined western that favors thoughtful dialogue over a typical shoot-em-up plot. I enjoyed every minute of this underrated gem.

The Girl in Black Stockings (1957). A party girl with a slit throat sets off an investigation at a nearby lodge where everyone has a connection to her. This is part of the The Mamie Van Doren Film Noir Blu-ray Collection, even though it's more B-movie mystery than noir, and she's barely in it. Another quick entertaining movie that doesn't give you enough time to get bored. Young Anne Bancroft is hotter here than Mamie has ever been. Some bizarre funny dialogue, too.

His Kind of Woman.- A deported gangster's (Raymond Burr) plan to re-enter the USA involves skulduggery at a Mexican resort, and gambler Dan Milner (Robert Mitchum) is caught in the middle.

This is one of those movies where the story of its production is more interesting than the movie itself. Of course, it involves Howard Hughes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/His_Kind_of_Woman

So what's start out as solid film noir that was supposed to be a showcase for Mitchum and Jane Russell, gradually becomes a hot mess that takes forever to wrap up. Because of Hughes interference in post production, 80 additional minutes were added to a movie that was only supposed to run for about an 1 hour and 20. Supposedly after filming the scenes where he is beaten up by Burr's goons three times, an inebriated Mitchum had finally had enough and trashed the set.

There are a couple good things about it. One of them being this is the movie where Vincent Price becomes Vincent Price.

MTJonny

Donator
Finally got my family to watch The Neverending Story. Haven't watched it in 20+ years so not sure if it's just nostalgia or something but damn that is a fantastic movie. Son loved it, wife (whom hates anything fantasy related) loved it. I miss when movies were made with that amount of care.

DiggerNick

Donator
I just watched the first ten minutes of POOTIE TANG.

What the fuck is this?

NuttyJim

LEGO Movie 2: I liked it. Took the kids. It was a little too long but overall good.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Inside Llewyn Davis - For as much as I love the Coen Brothers, of all their movies, this is the one that most emotionally connects with me.
I watched again. So good.

During the 25 most influential scenes discussion, I looked up best scenes since 2000 and the site had Llewyn plays for Bud Grossman as #1.

Badfinger

I shot the sheriff

I'll vote for Bad Times at the El Royale. I think anyone on Wackbag would enjoy this film.