Movie Last Movie You Watched Part 2

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
A Star is Born: Lady Gaga sings circles around Bradley Cooper while he acts circles around her. I’ve not seen any of the other Best Actor nominees but it seems impossible anyone will be better than Cooper. I expect Malek to win the Oscar just because, but...

As for the movie itself - it was a bit choppy and disjointed at times, but it got the job done. Plus, Gaga titty.

It’s hard to compare the three Best Picture nominees I’ve seen because they are all so completely different, which I’m coming around to see as a credit to the Academy, but for now I’ll go Roma, Star, Panther.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Donator
Tell No One. (2006) - An accidental discovery near a doctor's (Francois Cluzet) estate stirs up some painful memories eight years after his wife's (Marie-Josee Croze) hideous murder, and now, things are bound to take a turn for the unexpected. Does the good doctor know more than he's letting on?

I added this to my Netflix que on a whim after seeing the trailer for it before another movie*. I'm so glad that I did. It turned out to be an excellent thriller. BTW, there is something quaint about watching a movie that takes place in the mid-2000s.'

*- OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies.- Secret agent OSS 117 foils Nazis, beds local beauties, and brings peace to the Middle East.

OSS 177: Lost In Rio.- Secret agent OSS 117 is sent to Rio to find a former high-ranking Nazi who went into exile in South America after the war.

Jean Dujardin plays the title character, who has nothing in common with the one who appeared in a series of spy novels from the 1960s'. These movies pay homage and spoof 1960s' spy films. Especially Connery's Bond. They have look of the era down pat. While they were both entertaining, I thought NOS was the better movie.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Velvet Buzzsaw (2019). Nightcrawler reunion with Jake Gyllenhaal, Rene Russo, and the same director/writer. It's a weird mix of art world satire and mystery that was interesting until it got around to the meat of the story:
art murdering people trying to exploit it for financial gain
But it just doesn't work. I guess if it was good, Netflix wouldn't have financed it.

The Guilty (2018, Denmark). A street cop demoted to emergency dispatch duty takes a call from a kidnapped woman. It's Denmark's submission for Best Foreign Language Film, and I suppose it's really good if you understand Danish. But it's entirely set in the dispatch station with almost all of the dialogue consisting of various phone calls. Maybe I should've watched with the English dub, because this was just me reading lots of words with a background picture of a guy wearing a headset.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Donator
Mortal Engines. Why was this movie made? Was this greenlit by the same studio that made that monster truck movie? Maybe the books are good but I highly doubt it. Why were cities driving around like Izuzu Outbacks? Why did the technology exist to keep cities on wheels yet no one could learn to make a computer? It was a silly movie that appeals to no one.

Pigdango

Donator
The Favourite. Lots to like, lots to not like.

The good - It was very well written, and some of the shots were really great when you could see them. Stone was great as always, and Weisz was also pretty good. I find Coleman annoying which worked in this role. Stone showed her titty, Nicholas Hoult was the prettiest woman in the movie. The costumes and set design were great. Liberal use of the word cunt.

The bad - Very surprised - shocked even, that this was nominated for Cinematography. It was the darkest, most poorly lit, and flat out ugliest looking movie I’ve seen this year, and I’ve seen Solo. Maybe I don’t understand cinematography, but I don’t think movies are supposed to look like that. The score was annoying at times, just bad in others, and the movie was simply too long.

The worst of the Best Picture noms I’ve seen so far. I was expecting it to be the best based on how much I enjoyed The Lobster. Ah well.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Bohemian Rhapsody
As a huge Queen fan I enjoyed it.
Not perfect but better than I expected.

Pigdango

Donator
Green Book - might be my favorite movie of the year in a year when Infinity War didn’t come out. What Guillermo del Toro tried to shove into Shape of Water with all the subtlety of Ron Perlman crawling out of a Kaiju belly, this movie handled almost flawlessly. Ali and Mortensen were terrific, and Linda Cardellini somehow seems to get better looking with age.

Updated Best Picture rankings:
Green Book
Roma
A Star is Born
Black Panther
The Favourite

Cooper is ahead of Viggo, but it’s closer than I thought it would be. Ali should win and will win Best Supporting, although I’m not sure why he wasn’t put forth for consideration as lead actor. Kind of ironic in a way.

DiggerNick

Donator
Green Book - might be my favorite movie of the year in a year when Infinity War didn’t come out. What Guillermo del Toro tried to shove into Shape of Water with all the subtlety of Ron Perlman crawling out of a Kaiju belly, this movie handled almost flawlessly. Ali and Mortensen were terrific, and Linda Cardellini somehow seems to get better looking with age.

Green Book
Roma
A Star is Born
Black Panther
The Favourite

Cooper is ahead of Viggo, but it’s closer than I thought it would be. Ali should win and will win Best Supporting, although I’m not sure why he wasn’t put forth for consideration as lead actor. Kind of ironic in a way.
I'm confused about that movie. Every says how funny it is but it looks like a dry racial drama based on what I've seen.

Pigdango

Donator
I'm confused about that movie. Every says how funny it is but it looks like a dry racial drama based on what I've seen.
I get what you’re saying. I definitely wasn’t expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. It’s not at all as heavy handed as I expected. The humor is sometimes very subtle, but that fits in well with the movie.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih

Green Book
Roma
A Star is Born
Black Panther
The Favourite

Recommended?

LiddyRules

Regional Sales Rep for Fontaine Fish Finder
I saw Green Book today too and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Mortensen played his character perfectly and I really enjoyed the chemistry between him and Ali. You bought into them as characters, not as mouth pieces.

I thought it looked really nice as well. Good on Dumb and Dumber guy.

Pigdango

Donator
For a guy who wants a national divorce over a tweet? Not sure if it will be for you. But I really enjoyed it way more than I thought I would. It was far more thoughtful and subtle than any movie that comes out in 2018 has a right to be.

Pigdango

Donator
I saw Green Book today too and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Mortensen played his character perfectly and I really enjoyed the chemistry between him and Ali. You bought into them as characters, not as mouth pieces.

I thought it looked really nice as well. Good on Dumb and Dumber guy.
Did you see the Favourite yet? Curious to hear someone else’s thoughts on the Cinematography. I may have just seen a bad version of it.

LiddyRules

Regional Sales Rep for Fontaine Fish Finder
Did you see the Favourite yet? Curious to hear someone else’s thoughts on the Cinematography. I may have just seen a bad version of it.
I quite liked it. I saw your comments and think you might have seen a bad copy because I thought the visual style was very good. Even the intentionally dark scenes were clear for me.

Pigdango

Donator
I quite liked it. I saw your comments and think you might have seen a bad copy because I thought the visual style was very good. Even the intentionally dark scenes were clear for me.
Fair enough. There were a lot of funny moments but the whole thing just didn’t come together for me. I didn’t hate it but it somehow managed to wiggle itself below Black Panther.

Like I mentioned, I am really digging how diverse this years’s nominees are, and I don’t mean it in *that* way. More in the diversity of the eras and genres.

I keep putting off Bohemian Rhapsody and Vice because I know I’m going to hate them and all my goodwill towards the Academy will disintegrate when I watch them.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
For a guy who wants a national divorce over a tweet? Not sure if it will be for you. But I really enjoyed it way more than I thought I would. It was far more thoughtful and subtle than any movie that comes out in 2018 has a right to be.
Not over a tweet.

I'll probably check it out.

Green Book
Roma
A Star is Born
Black Panther
The Favourite

Speaking of Ali, have you been watching this season of True Detective? I'm 4 episodes in and liking it so far.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
I was just teasing. Of course I recommend it. Thought my gushing review was recommendation enough.
I checked it out and found it to be pretty enjoyable. Hollywood never gets the South totally right, but this wasn't offensively bad. The acting was great as well.

As for your gushing review, I feel like we all know each other well enough to gauge whether one of us is going to like a particular movie. For instance, I would never recommend a movie like Birdman to you even if I really enjoyed it. That's all I meant, brah.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Donator
Speaking of Ali, have you been watching this season of True Detective? I'm 4 episodes in and liking it so far.
I haven't watched episode 5 yet, but I'm really digging this season. Even if it has a weak finale like season 1 did, I will being to overlook it because of how great Ali and the rest of the cast has been.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
I haven't watched episode 5 yet, but I'm really digging this season. Even if it has a weak finale like season 1 did, I will being to overlook it because of how great Ali and the rest of the cast has been.
Hmm, I read somewhere that it was bad so I put it on the backburner, but it seems that I need to check it out.

Saikotic

Scraping a dull blade across your tender eyeball
Donator
If you like rogue cop movies, I highly recommend this one. It's bleak and well-written. It's a couple steps above standard cop drama. It's a solid revenge flick.

Pigdango

Donator
I checked it out and found it to be pretty enjoyable. Hollywood never gets the South totally right, but this wasn't offensively bad. The acting was great as well.

As for your gushing review, I feel like we all know each other well enough to gauge whether one of us is going to like a particular movie. For instance, I would never recommend a movie like Birdman to you even if I really enjoyed it. That's all I meant, brah.
I’m kind of embarrassed to say I have no idea what any of you will like other than Liddy with his list of directors, and Jimcy hating everything.