Movie Last Movie You Watched Part 2

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
Bird Box. I should've watched it blindfolded.
Here's a question I have about the movie.

At the end, they make a deal about Sandy giving the two kids names instead of Boy and Girl. But after 5 years, wouldn't their names be Boy and Girl? Like, what is a name? That's what they're known by and how they know themselves. I think it would be weirder if suddenly your mom was like "Now you're Jessica and you're... Tony."

HandPanzer

τι θελεις
Here's a question I have about the movie.

At the end, they make a deal about Sandy giving the two kids names instead of Boy and Girl. But after 5 years, wouldn't their names be Boy and Girl? Like, what is a name? That's what they're known by and how they know themselves. I think it would be weirder if suddenly your mom was like "Now you're Jessica and you're... Tony."
It's definitely an odd choice for the movie. Why was naming them such a problem in the first place? And then to just have her name them because she felt guilty because her OBGYN made a funny face at her...so dumb.

Also, John Malkovich was the only sane one.

Yesterdays Hero

She's better than you, Smirkalicious.
Look Away (2018)

Woman gives birth to twins, ones deformed, so shitty dad tosses it in the snow. The living twin is your shrinking violet, and the 'evil twin' manages to take her over. Hijinks ensue. The ending was some kind of weird. As per normal, a movie can't figure out a proper finale.

Wasn't my pick for a movie, but it wasn't bad. If you ever wanted to see India Eisley naked, this is your movie for sure. She's not big into shaving.

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
A Star is Born - This was really good. I was surprised how much I liked it, and how strong it was all around. And is it just me, or is it rare there are dramas like this? No gimmicks. No social relevance. Not a period piece. Just a solid story about people. Next up - Can You Ever Forgive Me? and a second showing of Roma, and then I can feel comfortable about an awards presentation I won't watch and awards I won't care about.

Isn't it Romantic - Yes @Pigdango Challenge accepted. Challenge completed. It was not good - but for a different reason than I expected. The only good part was Rebel Wilson. I've hated her in pretty much everything I've seen her in, but in this I thought she was pleasant and affable. She elevated the material. But the rest of the movie - an hour and a half and it felt longer than A Star Is Born.

What annoyed me the most about the movie was its repetitiveness. It lists tropes from romantic comedies (many of them more from parodies of romantic comedies), do a slightly exaggerated version of it, then call attention to the fact that they're doing a slightly exaggerated version of a trope from a romantic comedy.* They don't do anything particularly clever or unique in it or play around in the world in a particularly fun way. I can't say it's played too straight, because that's not exactly it, but I can't think of a better way to describe what my problem is. It never feels like they fully realize the opportunities they have in the premise? Is it a level of disconnect? Like it's too self aware even for a movie that's supposed to be self aware? I don't know. I'm the only one on this board who's going to see it so all this nonsense only needs to make sense to me.

Outline! They had the outline for the gags they wanted to do but never beefed them up or incorporated them organically into the movie. That's...kind of it. Close enough?

* I hate being this guy, but it felt like a lot of this was studio notes. The way it was done (and kept being done) felt so unnatural, it makes more sense if the filmmakers got the directive of "yeah...the audience won't get it unless you spell it out for them." Because there were a couple of things they did that they didn't call attention to that I thought were okay, but the vast majority had to be spelled out.

What's the next Dare movie?

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
A Star is Born - This was really good. I was surprised how much I liked it, and how strong it was all around. And is it just me, or is it rare there are dramas like this? No gimmicks. No social relevance. Not a period piece. Just a solid story about people. Next up - Can You Ever Forgive Me? and a second showing of Roma, and then I can feel comfortable about an awards presentation I won't watch and awards I won't care about.

Isn't it Romantic - Yes @Pigdango Challenge accepted. Challenge completed. It was not good - but for a different reason than I expected. The only good part was Rebel Wilson. I've hated her in pretty much everything I've seen her in, but in this I thought she was pleasant and affable. She elevated the material. But the rest of the movie - an hour and a half and it felt longer than A Star Is Born.

What annoyed me the most about the movie was its repetitiveness. It lists tropes from romantic comedies (many of them more from parodies of romantic comedies), do a slightly exaggerated version of it, then call attention to the fact that they're doing a slightly exaggerated version of a trope from a romantic comedy.* They don't do anything particularly clever or unique in it or play around in the world in a particularly fun way. I can't say it's played too straight, because that's not exactly it, but I can't think of a better way to describe what my problem is. It never feels like they fully realize the opportunities they have in the premise? Is it a level of disconnect? Like it's too self aware even for a movie that's supposed to be self aware? I don't know. I'm the only one on this board who's going to see it so all this nonsense only needs to make sense to me.

Outline! They had the outline for the gags they wanted to do but never beefed them up or incorporated them organically into the movie. That's...kind of it. Close enough?

* I hate being this guy, but it felt like a lot of this was studio notes. The way it was done (and kept being done) felt so unnatural, it makes more sense if the filmmakers got the directive of "yeah...the audience won't get it unless you spell it out for them." Because there were a couple of things they did that they didn't call attention to that I thought were okay, but the vast majority had to be spelled out.

What's the next Dare movie?

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
I watched the newest Mummy. I like TC and Jake Johnson so why not? I also like Jack Johnson. It was about what I expected. The blonde in it is quite attractive.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Just
A Star is Born - This was really good. I was surprised how much I liked it, and how strong it was all around. And is it just me, or is it rare there are dramas like this? No gimmicks. No social relevance. Not a period piece. Just a solid story about people.
Just watched this last night also and thought it was fantastic. Definitely one of the best character stories I've seen in a while. And I liked that they didn't go with the obvious ending.

DiggerNick

Donator
Look Away (2018)

Woman gives birth to twins, ones deformed, so shitty dad tosses it in the snow. The living twin is your shrinking violet, and the 'evil twin' manages to take her over. Hijinks ensue. The ending was some kind of weird. As per normal, a movie can't figure out a proper finale.

Wasn't my pick for a movie, but it wasn't bad. If you ever wanted to see India Eisley naked, this is your movie for sure. She's not big into shaving.
She's Olivia Hussey's daughter. Looks nothing like her, but Hussey has always been in my top five.

DiggerNick

Donator
If you're a fan of those saline lip injections, she's got those in spades throughout the entire show.
I think those dick-sucking lips are natural. Not that I've been following her since she was an adolescent or anything. Because that would be wrong and creepy.