Movie Last Movie You Watched Part 2

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Dead Again - I've had this movie in my library for a while now. I remember seeing the trailer for this and it was burned into my brain for some reason. I really enjoyed it. If they were going for the 1950's thriller they succeeded. Is it wring to thing the swearing took away from what I think they were trying to accomplish? Robin Williams was the weakest part of the film.

Last edited:

DiggerNick

Donator
LORDS OF CHAOS

Deep as a thimble, but well made and acted. Don't go expecting any sort of insight into the black metal genre, even though Jonas Akerlund was a part of the scene in its earliest days.

LORDS OF CHAOS

Deep as a thimble, but well made and acted. Don't go expecting any sort of insight into the black metal genre, even though Jonas Akerlund was a part of the scene in its earliest days.
They speak English like the story took place in Ohio. I couldn't do it.

DiggerNick

Donator
Watched POLAR, Jonas Akerlund's other movie out at the moment. I've seen a surprising number of "Meh..." reviews for this. As a piece of stylish, ultra-violent pulp I thoroughly enjoyed it.

But it really was engineered for me, containing so many things I love to watch; Mads Mikklesen, excessive graphic violence, Katheryn Winnick and gorgeous snowy landscapes (Canada subbing for Montana).

And I have to say, I find dowdy, dressed-down Vanessa Hudgens to be strangely attractive. I've never giver her a second look before but she does it for me here.

The obvious comparison to make here is JOHN WICK (he even gets a cute dog early on that has a pretty amusing pay-off). And while not nearly that good it certainly scratches that itch until JOHN WICK 3 comes out

"Hugo"

A kid's film is very far from Scorsese's usual material, but the camera work and editing are his signature, and it's appropriate for a cinephile to do a tribute to special effects pioneer George Melies. The presence of Ben Kingsley, Sacha Baron Cohen, and Christopher Lee don't hurt, either.

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
"Hugo"

A kid's film is very far from Scorsese's usual material, but the camera work and editing are his signature, and it's appropriate for a cinephile to do a tribute to special effects pioneer George Melies. The presence of Ben Kingsley, Sacha Baron Cohen, and Christopher Lee don't hurt, either.
I think it's Scorsese's best movie of the 2000s (as in 2000s and 2010s).

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
I didn't love Gangs. Maybe I need to rewatch it.
I saw it a couple of years ago. The problem with Gangs was everything not Day Lewis. DiCaprio was bland, and Cameron Diaz was utterly pointless.

The main thing from the movie is that it's still one of the few (only?) movies that seems to have the presence of Tammany Hall and Boss Tweed. They are very fascinating figures from New York History but mostly ignored/forgotten. They're definitely worth more of a look.

HandPanzer

τι θελεις
I saw it a couple of years ago. The problem with Gangs was everything not Day Lewis. DiCaprio was bland, and Cameron Diaz was utterly pointless.

The main thing from the movie is that it's still one of the few (only?) movies that seems to have the presence of Tammany Hall and Boss Tweed. They are very fascinating figures from New York History but mostly ignored/forgotten. They're definitely worth more of a look.
I remember liking DDL and John C. Reilly in their roles. Bill the Butcher is a character that doesn't work without DDL to give him life, and he (unsurprisingly) steals every scene he's in. I'm not even sure if it's totally fair to judge DiCaps and Diaz when they're so obviously outclassed.

Agree about Diaz being pointless in the movie though. It's like they tacked on a love interest because movies are supposed to have them or something. I would've much preferred a more singular-minded revenge movie.

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
As an aside, I saw Alita: Battle Angel and it was surprisingly decent. Really basic, but overall enjoyable with good design elements, distinctive visuals (i.e. it doesn't feel like they only had 5 character models to work with), and you get used to the eyes a lot quicker than I expected.

I remember liking DDL and John C. Reilly in their roles. Bill the Butcher is a character that doesn't work without DDL to give him life, and he (unsurprisingly) steals every scene he's in. I'm not even sure if it's totally fair to judge DiCaps and Diaz when they're so obviously outclassed.

Agree about Diaz being pointless in the movie though. It's like they tacked on a love interest because movies are supposed to have them or something. I would've much preferred a more singular-minded revenge movie.
True. Diaz especially felt tacked on. And while DDL outclasses everyone, it only makes the scenes without him feel even more draggy. And it's not even that bad of a story if it was a revenge tale, but I don't think Leo was able to carry the weight. And at 2 hours 48 minutes, it's a really long movie, so the parts that don't work, really don't work. I also think it's the type of movie that at 2:48 feels long, but if they released a 4 hour cut, it would probably be a lot better.

Here's a question I was wondering lately connected to this. Which director has the highest number of Tier 1/Tier 2 movies? Not who has the highest percentage, but the highest quantity. Like if you were doing a list of Top 10 movies, you'd still have some left over that you'd still want to include. The names the initially come to mind are Coens, Scorsese, and Hitchcock. (Woody Allen might also be in contention, but he'd be axed in the first round.) I'm sure there are probably some foreign directors who are in contention, but I'm blanking.

Here's a question I was wondering lately connected to this. Which director has the highest number of Tier 1/Tier 2 movies? Not who has the highest percentage, but the highest quantity. Like if you were doing a list of Top 10 movies, you'd still have some left over that you'd still want to include. The names the initially come to mind are Coens, Scorsese, and Hitchcock. (Woody Allen might also be in contention, but he'd be axed in the first round.) I'm sure there are probably some foreign directors who are in contention, but I'm blanking.
Along with the ones you mentioned, Billy Wilder and Akira Kurosawa.

DiggerNick

Donator
BLACKkKLANSMAN starts out dubiously, with noted domestic abuser Alec Baldwin ranting over trite, played out images of BIRTH OF A NATION. And no mention of the fact that the children at Little Rock were protected by troops sent there by a Republican president against Democrat segregationists.

After that Spike Lee (mostly) gets out of his own way and lets his talented cast tell the story.

Until... :mad:

Last edited:

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
Apollo 11 - Maybe if First Man didn't tank this would get a wider release - or any promotion - but if you're a nerd about this, or even if you're not, this is fantastic. All contemporary footage from launch to return. No talking heads. No commentary. Just pure moon landing. See it in IMAX. It's worth it.

They also do a small yet brilliant thing. When it comes to showing aspects of the capsule that they have no footage for - it uses very simple line drawings. They could have used extensive CGI for the most accurate modeling ever, but the simple drawings fit the atmosphere/aesthetics better and made it easier to wrap one's head around.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Apollo 11 - Maybe if First Man didn't tank this would get a wider release - or any promotion - but if you're a nerd about this, or even if you're not, this is fantastic. All contemporary footage from launch to return. No talking heads. No commentary. Just pure moon landing. See it in IMAX. It's worth it.
You're providing this recommendation the fucking DAY BEFORE Captain Marvel comes out and takes over every IMAX screen in the world?

A John Frankenheimer double feature:

Ronin. (From 1998 and not 1989) - A freelancing former U.S. Intelligence Agent (Robert Deniro) tries to track down a mysterious package that is wanted by the Irish and the Russians.

Is some of the dialogue cheesy? Sure. Which is kind of surprising considering David Mamet was brought in to expand Deniro's role. But it has a top notch cast, two of best car chase scenes of all time and a "McGuffin" that Hitchcock would be proud of.

52 Pick-Up.- A secret fling between a man (Roy Scheider) and his mistress (Kelly Preston) leads to blackmail and murder.

Its a solid 1980s' neo-noir that is based on the Elmore Leonard novel of the name. One of the best parts of the movie are the three blackmailers, played by John Glover, Robert Trebor, and Clarence Williams III respectively. You also get the opportunity to see Ann Margaret star along side Vanity, Amber Lynn, and Sharon Mitchell.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aquaman. Yeah... suffice it to say that one viewing is plenty.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Free Solo. I liked that they did an MRI of his brain that confirmed he's a crazy fucker.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Free Solo. I liked that they did an MRI of his brain that confirmed he's a crazy fucker.
I've always thought it weird that fear of heights is a phobia. Shouldn't it be the other way around? If you don't have a fear of heights, that's irrational.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
I've always thought it weird that fear of heights is a phobia. Shouldn't it be the other way around? If you don't have a fear of heights, that's irrational.
If you have a fear of heights on a 12' ladder, sure, you have a phobia. If you're hesitant to climb a 3000' cliff, not so much.

I've had a healthy fear of heights most of my life, and have had to actively combat it in places like Yosemite. I'm considering doing Half Dome this year using the cables, and even that gives me a bit of anxiety. I would flip out 100' up El Capitan without a rope (maybe even with one).

DiggerNick

Donator
DeRosa talked about on his podcast and said that the guy clearly has autism, and those people fear nothing anyway.