Lawn mower engine problems

Haeder

South Dakota
Mar 30, 2005
My Briggs & Stratton won't run unless the choke is open completely. It'll sputter, cough and die when run without the choke open. Cleaned out the air filter and fuel filter and topped the tank off with fresh gas but none of those things fixed the problem.

Any thoughts as to what might be wrong and how to fix the problem?

The engine is a 17hp Briggs & Stratton on a Craftsman riding mower.

Apr 22, 2005
Bucks Co., PA
Silly question, did you change the spark plug too and make sure it is properly gapped?

If so, the carb probably needs an adjustment or tune up.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Sounds like either there is shit in the tank blocking up the screen on the fuel line intake, or your mixture is too lean.

Myhairygrundle

Screw you guys, I'm going home.
Jul 16, 2005
Texas
Sounds like either there is shit in the tank blocking up the screen on the fuel line intake, or your mixture is too lean.
x2

Make sure your carb is clean and put a fuel filter between the tank and carb.

Also, some small engines hate the ethanol fuel.

Haeder

South Dakota
Mar 30, 2005
Haven't changed/checked the spark plug yet.

The problem is a recent development. Mower ran like a champ until this week. Just started running like crap about 1/3 of the way into mowing the 2+ acres that is my yard. Had to finish mowing at a slow ass pace. What should have taken about 4 hours took me about 6 hours to complete.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Also, some small engines hate the ethanol fuel.
Exactly. Last year, I had to tear down the carb on my tractor after the first tank of ethanol because the ethanol cleaned all this crud from everywhere and filled the carb float bowl with this muck... I had to do a mini-teardown a week later and get everything that was left. But, it's been fine ever since.

Glenn Dandy

THE ONLY WHITE PRESIDENT LEFT.
Mar 21, 2005
Wackbag Whitehouse.
take the carb out... pull the bowl, clean it all up, clean all the jets.. and reinstall it. sounds like the needle valve jet is clogged.

I dont know shit about carberators, but as a kid if my moped or cycle ran like shit, i would just tear it apart clean everything and put it back,,, and that usually worked.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
fuck it, i pay a mexican to cut my grass. i hit a stump with it a few years ago and bent the blade, im too fucking lazy to pull the mower deck and replace it.....

that being said, i would make sure to check the plugs and try running some "stable" threw the gas, i would bet its the ethenol gas. or water in the tank

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
Jun 9, 2005
New York
By Open, do you actually mean Closed? A choke being open (Full Air) is the normal running position. Closed (Restricted Air) is the starting position.

If you mean closed then yeah, it's a lack of fuel flow caused by any of the above problems. You could buy a new carb for 50 bucks and change it in 3 minutes. Or you could spend an hour or 2 disassembling and cleaning with no guarantee of operation when you're done.

Haeder

South Dakota
Mar 30, 2005
By Open, do you actually mean Closed? A choke being open (Full Air) is the normal running position. Closed (Restricted Air) is the starting position.

If you mean closed then yeah, it's a lack of fuel flow caused by any of the above problems. You could buy a new carb for 50 bucks and change it in 3 minutes. Or you could spend an hour or 2 disassembling and cleaning with no guarantee of operation when you're done.
Thanks to everyone for helping me out. I'm gonna take the carb apart and clean everything out to see what happens. Hope that fixes the problem.

And never use ethanol in a small engine. Might eat away at the gaskets, resulting in costly repair bills. That's what the Vietnam vet with the half glasses and thousand yard stare that runs the small engine shop told me.

Haeder

South Dakota
Mar 30, 2005
Fixed!

Took the carb apart and sprayed it down with carb and choke cleaner. Thing was a mess inside. Put it back together, sprayed starting fluid in the newly cleaned carb and it fired right up. Only to die a few seconds later. Crap. Took everything apart again and checked to make sure things were where they belonged. Had the float seated wrong so no gas was getting to the engine. Fixed that, put everything back together again, sprayed starting fluid again and it fired up. Stayed running this time. What a difference a cleaning makes.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

jackjack

May 12, 2007
Daytona Beach
And never use ethanol in a small engine. Might eat away at the gaskets, resulting in costly repair bills. That's what the Vietnam vet with the half glasses and thousand yard stare that runs the small engine shop told me.
Ethanol won't hurt engine seals, but methanol will.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Good luck with that, considering the only gasoline sold today contains 10% ethanol.

CallmeQtie

“How soon 'not now' becomes 'never'.”
Oct 12, 2004
Seaford Harbor Long Island
If the choke is too far open allowing too much fuel into the cylenders couldn't that cause the engine to flood and cut out?

cozzie

head retard
Aug 7, 2005
Norristown PA
Fixed!

Took the carb apart and sprayed it down with carb and choke cleaner. Thing was a mess inside. Put it back together, sprayed starting fluid in the newly cleaned carb and it fired right up. Only to die a few seconds later. Crap. Took everything apart again and checked to make sure things were where they belonged. Had the float seated wrong so no gas was getting to the engine. Fixed that, put everything back together again, sprayed starting fluid again and it fired up. Stayed running this time. What a difference a cleaning makes.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.
now that you've done that and know where all the parts go , do it every 1/2 a year or yearly, depending on how much you mow. I owned a lawn buss years ago , and I did this crap every month.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
If the choke is too far open allowing too much fuel into the cylenders couldn't that cause the engine to flood and cut out?
hey honey, let the big boys play with the power tools and you go fetch me and the fellas some nice fresh pie..... while your at it grab me a beer

Vinny631

Meet the Creep
Apr 25, 2007
Commack N.Y.
hey honey, let the big boys play with the power tools and you go fetch me and the fellas some nice fresh pie..... while your at it grab me a beer
dont be a dick.....I was wondering if the "cylenders" would be flooded also.

CallmeQtie

“How soon 'not now' becomes 'never'.”
Oct 12, 2004
Seaford Harbor Long Island
Why don't you go buy a new lawn mower with money your dog chewed up asshole. I know a thing or two about two stroke briggs & stratton engines and I think the engine might be flooding, Did I mention fuck you! Wavy hand thing:)

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
Why don't you go buy a new lawn mower with money your dog chewed up asshole. I know a thing or two about two stroke briggs & stratton engines and I think the engine might be flooding, Did I mention fuck you! Wavy hand thing:)

:rolleyes: oh i give.......

un less going back and forth gets you all worked up then thats a different story

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I didn't know Briggs made any two-strokes...