Lawsuit Claims Long Island Police Beat Man Amid Racial Slurs

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
GARDEN CITY, N.Y. (AP) -- A man arrested following a police chase in Hempstead last month intends to file a lawsuit against Nassau County, its police department, and 15 officers, claiming they beat him and used racial epithets, his attorney said Thursday.

Attorney Kenneth Mollins detailed the allegations by William Byrd at a press conference. Byrd, 36, who is black, contends in a notice of claim, the precursor to a lawsuit, that he was "beaten, kicked, dragged, pummeled'' after surrendering to police.

He said witnesses heard officers use a variety of racial epithets.

Byrd, of Hempstead, said that when he was taken to the First Precinct, and while still handcuffed, beatings "by numerous police officers continued as did the barrage of racial degradation.'' He claims all of the officers removed their badges and name tags during the attack.

Lt. Kevin Smith, a police department spokesman, said the department is "aggressively investigating the allegations.'' He said Police Commissioner Lawrence Mulvey reviewed the case and "based on the preliminary investigation and witness statements nothing suggests that the officers acted improperly.''

The only officer identified in the court papers was someone named "Wilcox'' but a police spokesman said there is no one named Wilcox in the department.

After the arrest, Nassau County Police said Byrd was spotted on Oct. 16, driving a 2003 Toyota Corolla that had been reported stolen the month before. When an officer approached the driver's side door, Byrd allegedly drove away, dragging the officer for about 10 feet. They said Byrd then drove off, slamming into a police cruiser before leaving the vehicle and running to the rear of a building on Fulton Street, where he was arrested "after a struggle.''

Byrd is still in custody, facing assault, grand larceny, resisting arrest and other charges.

Mollins contends Byrd suffered a fractured elbow, a broken tooth, a swollen eye and a leg injury. Police said two officers were injured.

Smith referred other questions about the legal case to the county attorney's office, which did not immediately return a telephone call seeking comment.

Mollins also wrote to District Attorney Kathleen Rice, seeking a separate investigation. A spokesman for Rice did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

jules

uppity taxpayer
Jul 24, 2005
south jersey
yeah he sounds pretty credible.....::hammer:::hammer:

Feb 20, 2006
**** Island
It's nice that the police get to associate with interracial people once in a while. Helps their vocabulary I'm sure. :icon_mrgr

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
I've dealt with his attorney & I don't like him. He used to appear before the court referee I worked with at the court house representing dirtbags on uninsured motorist cases.

It'll be interesting to see what happens should this go to trial. I'm wondering if Mollins will request a change of venue since I'm sure he's going to claim the Supreme Court judges "have to" defend the NCPD

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
It's nice that the police get to associate with interracial people once in a while. Helps their vocabulary I'm sure. :icon_mrgr
Nassau tries to put cops of the same race in certain areas & Hempstead is one of them. There probably were some white cops at the First Precinct, but my guess is the arresting officers were black.

Newsday is going to be all over this, I'm sure. They love showing how cops "hate" minorities on Long Island

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
what a waste of money

Schmed

I'm a corpse without a soul...
Nov 4, 2002
Shitsville, NY
Nassau tries to put cops of the same race in certain areas & Hempstead is one of them. There probably were some white cops at the First Precinct, but my guess is the arresting officers were black.

Newsday is going to be all over this, I'm sure. They love showing how cops "hate" minorities on Long Island
True, true 100% true. I use the Newsday as a place mat for my new boxer puppy's scat.

Fr. Dougal

Feb 17, 2004
When the fuck is this country gonna wake up?

Scumbags like this don't deserve respect. And it shouldn't even be in the news.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
When PC douches get stabbed to death by one of those poor poor misguided yutes.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
When the fuck is this country gonna wake up?

Scumbags like this don't deserve respect. And it shouldn't even be in the news.
even though other papers do it, Newsday loves to sensationalize anything that has to do with racism or alleged racism. And if it's alleged racism involving the police, that's even better.

Schmed said:
True, true 100% true. I use the Newsday as a place mat for my new boxer puppy's scat.
Ha! We used to line the bottom of our bird cage with it.

May 7, 2003
Hicksville NY
I live in this county....It's more then likely bull shit....I know I'm really breaking new ground here....

Hempsted is the town where you lock your doors as you drive through it

TheDrip

I'm bi-winning.
Jan 9, 2006
Good to see that, as responsible journalism, they put the incidents leading up to the arrest down in the 6th paragraph:

After the arrest, Nassau County Police said Byrd was spotted on Oct. 16, driving a 2003 Toyota Corolla that had been reported stolen the month before. When an officer approached the driver's side door, Byrd allegedly drove away, dragging the officer for about 10 feet. They said Byrd then drove off, slamming into a police cruiser before leaving the vehicle and running to the rear of a building on Fulton Street, where he was arrested "after a struggle.''