Lawsuit: Man fired for not wearing "666" sticker

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
November 18, 2011 3:17 PM

Lawsuit: Man fired for not wearing "666" sticker

(AP) ATLANTA - A Georgia factory worker claims in a federal lawsuit that he was fired after he refused to wear a 666 sticker he feared would doom him to eternal damnation.

Billy E. Hyatt claims he was fired from Pliant Corp., a plastics factory in northern Georgia near Dalton, after he refused to wear a sticker proclaiming that his factory had been accident-free for 666 days. That number is considered the "mark of the beast" in the Bible's Book of Revelation describing the apocalypse.

Hyatt, who said he's a devout Christian, had worked for the north Georgia plastics company since June 2007 and like other employees wore stickers each day that proclaimed how long the factory had gone without an accident.

But he grew nervous in early 2009 as the number of accident-free days crept into the 600s. As the company's safety calendar approached day 666, Hyatt said he approached a manager and explained that wearing it would force him "to accept the mark of the beast and to be condemned to hell." He said the manager assured him he wouldn't have to wear the number.

When the day came on March 12, 2009, Hyatt sought a manager to discuss his request. He said he was told that his beliefs were "ridiculous" and that he should wear the sticker or serve a three-day suspension.

Hyatt took the three-day suspension, and was fired at a human resources meeting several days later. He then filed a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and his attorney Stephen Mixon said the agency granted him the right to sue the company in August.

The lawsuit, which seeks punitive damages and back pay, said the company forced him into a terrible situation: Keep his job or "abandon his religious beliefs."

The company, now known as Berry Plastics Corp., did not return several calls and emails seeking comment. It has yet to respond to the complaint in court.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...cker-at-work/2011/11/18/gIQAWObiYN_story.html
Too bad this didn't happen recently. He could've worn it upside down and said he was a Herman Cain supporter. :icon_cool

Hate to say it, but I think the guy has a case. He took the suspension and then they fired him anyway.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
I bet he was annoying as fuck the day he had to wear the "333" sticker.

What kind of workplace forces employees to wear stickers? I thought they just used that "This work place has been accident free for ___ days" sign?

Konstantin K

Big League Poster
Aug 25, 2010
This whole thing is stupid. Any god that's going to condemn you for wearing a safety sticker isn't worth worshiping. And why is it so important that he wears the damn thing anyway? His boss couldn't have just said "Oh okay, I don't understand what the big deal is but you don't have to wear it today."? And why didn't he just take a sick day or something? He obviously knew what day it was, was he trying to force the factory into an awkward situation?

All that being said, he'll probably win the case.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
The man is being persecuted for his irrational beliefs. Not a good firing job.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Fuck the company in this case. He requested to not wear a stupid sticker for a single day... they should have just allowed him that one thing without a suspension or any bullshit... now it's going to cost them tens of thousands in legal fees.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Is it really a good use of company resources to print daily stickers?

PDX909

May 12, 2007
Portland, OR
according to a new translation the real number of the beast might be 616 not 666 so the dope already wore the sticker and is doomed. Fuck religion and the weak minded rubes that it sucks in.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
He could have fixed it on day 665 by slipping and injuring his back.
What if he tried to do that, but instead ended up killing a coworker? So instead of wearing the sticker and maybe offending God, he becomes a murderer thus booking his place in hell.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
What fucking stupid company prints out stickers every day and makes their employees wear them? This guy (and anyone who actually believes in 666) is a retard too. Does this moron think EVERY time the number 666 appears, that it is the mark of the beast? Is the $6.66 steak at the butcher's counter also the mark of the beast? For a "devout Christian", he sure doesn't seem to understand the underlying point of receiving the mark is not that it will make the boss at one plastic company in Georgia happy, it is to show to all of the earth that you have accepted satan as your master.

Sunsetspawn

Dec 5, 2005
[video=youtube;rrSiIqCpxB8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrSiIqCpxB8[/video]

Ego

The Only Thing Bigger Than My Head
Feb 15, 2005
Elkton, MD
I've had people add extra stuff onto their orders at the end of their purchase just so the amount didn't end in 6.66. Never takes much. A pack of gum or what have you. I don't care either way. I'm glad to sell you things to solely alleviate your paranoia.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
I've had people add extra stuff onto their orders at the end of their purchase just so the amount didn't end in 6.66. Never takes much. A pack of gum or what have you. I don't care either way. I'm glad to sell you things to solely alleviate your paranoia.
Sometimes you forget how incredibly stupid the human race is, in general. Thanks for reminding me. I am sure that Jesus wouldn't want you to have a total at the supermarket that equals 6.66, because clearly if you pay it you have accepted satan as your master and are now forced to do his bidding.

kidconnor

55gallon hog
Mar 16, 2005
brooklyn
I don't think its just an ultra religious thing. We got a new car and the number was 666. My bosses actually called up and got the numbers changed. I see it as more of a bad luck thing than religious. Like the number 13 being bad luck. Granted its being used in a religious defense here but couldn't the guy not wear a number for one day without it being a big deal.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
Fun fact: In Japan, they skip several numbers when numbering apartments, hotel rooms, addresses and even floors in high rises, because one of the readings of the number sounds like "impolite" words (shit, whore, or something like that).

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Fun fact: In Japan, they skip several numbers when numbering apartments, hotel rooms, addresses and even floors in high rises, because one of the readings of the number sounds like "impolite" words (shit, whore, or something like that).
We do the same thing in the states because of triskaidekaphobia. A lot of hotels omit the 13th floor in their buildings.

Stig

Wackbag's New Favorite Heel
Jul 26, 2005
NH
We do the same thing in the states because of triskaidekaphobia. A lot of hotels omit the 13th floor in their buildings.
I think that when they do that, the 13th floor should be an open space between 12 and 14, with just exposed girders and the stairwells and elevator shaft passing through.

Bluestreak

This space intentionally left blank.
Sep 27, 2007
Mawl-din, MA
I think that when they do that, the 13th floor should be an open space between 12 and 14, with just exposed girders and the stairwells and elevator shaft passing through.
From what I've heard, lots of hotels use the 13th floor to house HVAC infrastructure.

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
Yeah a comic maybe brian regan joked on that. If youre on the 14th flr you know you're really on the 13th. Evil spirits dont fall for that shit.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
i have a feeling there is a lot more to this than a sticker, there always is. want to bet this asshole takes off every "holy" day he can and hands out religious shit at lunch and pisses and moans about everything that people do. when i was working at the photo lab we hired a woman that pulled that shit all the time, she swore she was a devout catholic and was constantly taking off for "holy" days and would protest out side planned parent hood ect... she also filed so many complaints with our upper management about the rest of the employees that they finally fired her, and NO ONE got fired from that place... except her, there reason was because when she didn't get off for her "holy" days she would call in sick and then leave us short handed, what was great was that because she was there less than 90days they didn't even need a reason we found out later that the actual reason was because she sicked the unions on our home office because we hired a non union contractor to oversee the remodeling of our store, and she went after the district manager for smoking in the store, even though at the time it was allowed (the 80's were great)