Learning To Play The Piano, Particularly Chords

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
I snagged a cheap keyboard, and I actually want to learn how to play. Does anyone have any advice or recommendations for books? Especially when it comes to learning chords, or as I call it "the left hand parts."

Wrecktum

Tounge puncher of fart boxes
Are you learning to get pussy? Cause that sounds like an awesome way.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
One oft underutilized resource that many people don't even consider is YouTube. I implore you to run a couple of basic YouTube searches like "Piano chord lesson" or whatever. I guarantee you'll find some very helpful stuff.

Do you have any kind of music theory knowledge? Because if not I highly recommend you start reading a little about that too (also easily Googleable). It pays off because Western tempered music makes a ton of logical sense and after a while you can use your knowledge to figure stuff out without having to look it up. Like offhand I don't know how to do a C#aug7#13 chord, but it would take me about 10 seconds to figure out which notes I need to play and what position on the guitar would work best for it. Piano is even more logical in that sense, so always good to combine theory and practice because they really are inseparable in this field.

LiddyRules

I don't have music theory knowledge, but I will read up on that. Can you recommend a book? And I know I keep going back to books, but it's really a lot easier for me to use a physical book when learning. With the videos on YouTube, I'll take advantage of that too because I can compare sounds.

Are you learning to get pussy? Cause that sounds like an awesome way.
Well I can't carry around a keyboard with me. But I do know how badass it would be to go to a place and be like "is that a piano? May I?" Kind of like my fantasy of busting out a pretty ridiculous waltz at a gala.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Make sure to let us know when you can play 2 pianos at the same time.

DrewDown

All are welcome
I hate to be old fashioned, but why not consider taking lessons? Since you spend most of your time on Wackbag, I'm guessing your self-discipline might not be up to the challenge of self-study (beyond masturbation, that is). ;)

Neon

ネオン
Donator
I actually don't know any good beginner books on the topic but I'm sure some Googling will yield good titles. You seem like a smart enough guy and, like I said, it makes a lot of sense. Almost nothing in music is counter-intuitive (the one notable exception is enharmonics - where the same note will be written differently at different times depending on the context, but even with that, the reason you do it makes sense) so I'm sure you'd do fine with almost any book.

Another good thing about YouTube videos is that books will often tell you how to do the chords but won't show you what it looks like.

LiddyRules

I hate to be old fashioned, but why not consider taking lessons? Since you spend most of your time on Wackbag, I'm guessing your self-discipline might not be up to the challenge of self-study (beyond masturbation, that is). ;)
I don't spend most of my time on Wackbag. I spend most of my time on the computer. Wackbag just happens to be there.

DrewDown

All are welcome
I don't spend most of my time on Wackbag. I spend most of my time on the computer. Wackbag just happens to be there.
'Twas a joke, my defensive friend. Didn't you see Mr. Winky? I think many of us who post here regularly are similar.

One of my daughters does this thing called Suzuki method. You might look into it. There are a series of books that come with tapes and everything, but she does go to lessons as well. She still sucks at piano, tho.

LiddyRules

'Twas a joke, my defensive friend. Didn't you see Mr. Winky? I think many of us who post here regularly are similar.
I was making a joke as well.

One of my daughters does this thing called Suzuki method. You might look into it. There are a series of books that come with tapes and everything, but she does go to lessons as well. She still sucks at piano, tho.
I got a keyboard, not a car.

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
I was trying to teach myself a while ago (when I had a bit more time/less a.d.d.) and one of those Mel Bay books was fine for basics.
Like anything with music, it's a matter of practicing.
The youtube suggestion is a good one as well.