Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Led Zeppelin Readies Fall Reissue Bonanza

July 27, 2007, 2:25 AM ET

Jonathan Cohen, Akron, Ohio
Led Zeppelin fans will have a lot to celebrate this fall thanks to the release of three new titles in multiple configurations. First up on Nov. 13 via Atlantic/Rhino is a two-disc, 24-track best-of, "Mothership." A deluxe reissue of the soundtrack to the 1976 concert film "The Song Remains the Same" with previously unreleased material and a new DVD edition of that movie will arrive Nov. 20 via Atlantic/Rhino and Warner Home Video, respectively.

"Mothership," tracks for which were chosen by surviving members Robert Plant, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones, represents all eight of the band's studio albums. In addition to a two-disc set, the album will also be available in both "deluxe" and "collector's" editions with a DVD featuring varied live content from the previously released "Led Zeppelin DVD." A 4-LP vinyl package will also be sold.

As for the "The Song Remains the Same" soundtrack, it now sports six songs not included on the original album: "Black Dog," "Over the Hills and Far Away," "Misty Mountain Hop," "Since I've Been Loving You," "The Ocean" and "Heartbreaker." The album and film were recorded during a July 1973 stand at New York's Madison Square Garden.

"The Song Remains the Same" DVD includes all 14 songs from the original concert for the first time plus previously unreleased performances of "Over the Hills and Far Away," "Celebration Day," "The Ocean" and "Misty Mountain Hop." Rounding out the bonus items are a 1976 BBC interview with Plant and band manager Peter Grant and contemporary footage from the robbery at New York's Drake Hotel during the MSG run.

Beyond a standard DVD, the film will be sold in both HD DVD and Blu-ray formats, as well as a limited collector's edition that includes the soundtrack, a T-shirt with the original album art and reproductions of memorabilia from the era.

All the catalog activity gives further heft to rumors Plant, Page and Jones will reunite to perform at a proposed Ahmet Ertegun tribute concert this fall in London. Although no details have been announced, the group is also said to be mulling offers to tour under the Led Zeppelin name in 2008 with the late John Bonham's son Jason filling in on drums.

Here is the track list for "Mothership:

Disc One:
"Good Times Bad Times"
"Communication Breakdown"
"Dazed and Confused"
"Babe I'm Gonna Leave You"
"Whole Lotta Love"
"Ramble On"
"Heartbreaker"
"Immigrant Song"
"Since I've Been Loving You"
"Rock and Roll"
"Black Dog"
"When the Levee Breaks"
"Stairway to Heaven"

Disc Two:
"The Song Remains the Same"
"Over the Hills and Far Away"
"D'Yer Maker"
"No Quarter"
"Trampled Under Foot"
"Houses of the Holy"
"Kashmir"
"Nobody's Fault But Mine"
"Achilles Last Stand"
"In the Evening"
"All My Love"

Here is the track list for "The Song Remains the Same":

Disc One:
"Rock and Roll"
"Celebration Day"
"Black Dog"
"Over the Hills and Far Away"
"Misty Mountain Hop"
"Since I've Been Loving You"
"No Quarter"
"The Song Remains the Same"
"The Rain Song"
"The Ocean"

Disc Two:
"Dazed and Confused"
"Stairway to Heaven"
"Moby Dick"
"Heartbreaker"
"Whole Lotta Love"

pure_waves

© Steven Carr Industries, 2014. Grrrrrrrr
Dec 9, 2004
Upper West Side, NY
cool stuff, i hope they dig up some new unreleased songs to add in. i liked the fact that they added those in the last few live and best of collections.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I'm looking forward to the new releases as well, but what really gets my attention is the highlighted part:

All the catalog activity gives further heft to rumors Plant, Page and Jones will reunite to perform at a proposed Ahmet Ertegun tribute concert this fall in London. Although no details have been announced, the group is also said to be mulling offers to tour under the Led Zeppelin name in 2008 with the late John Bonham's son Jason filling in on drums.
There have been various rumors for years. If it finally happens this time, I will not miss it for anything.

Oct 5, 2004
jersey
Really looking forward to the reissue of TSRTS, and a possible reunion tour would be unreal.. but yet another "best of" cd is pretty uncalled for. But it seems they'll be releasing it via itunes for once, so maybe they're looking to gain a new audience if they do have plans for a reunion.

There's also a rumor going around that Page will reunite with Jeff Beck for a Yardbirds tour, which could be interesting too.
http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdai...to-reunite-with-jeff-beck-for-yardbirds-tour/

Feb 5, 2003
With a stranger
I'll pick up the DVD, but the CDs don't seem like must-haves to me--and I'm a pretty big Zeppelin fan. "How the West Was Won" is a better live CD to me. The sound is better and the performances are better, so a few extra songs probably won't be enough to make me go out and buy an album I already own.

edit to add: I'm not holding my breath for a reunion tour because those rumors are always going around, but I'll need to change my pants if it does happen. The Page/Plant No Quarter tour was amazing, so I can only imagine how good it would be with John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham added in.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Exactly. The rumors were really hot back in 1989-90 when I first started college. Then they got hot again a few years ago. But nothing ever materialized. If it happens this time, I too will shit myself.

Feb 5, 2003
With a stranger
I think the closest they came aside from the one-off stuff like Live-Aid was after Page and Plant did "Walking Into Clarksdale." I read an interview where Page said he wanted to bring Jones and Jason Bonham into the mix and do a Zeppelin reunion after that, but Plant was worn out from the touring schedule and didn't want to go out and do another tour that would have been even bigger and longer than what they'd just done. That's what ended the Page/Plant reunion. I don't remember what magazine that was in, though. It was one of theose British magazines that sometimes devotes special issues to one just one band and that issue was all about Zeppelin.

Exactly. The rumors were really hot back in 1989-90 when I first started college. Then they got hot again a few years ago. But nothing ever materialized. If it happens this time, I too will shit myself.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
There were also alot of hard feelings because JPJ was left out. He called them out for it at the R&R HOF induction...

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
You got it exactly right. He said:

"I'd like to thank my friends for remembering my phone number."

pure_waves

© Steven Carr Industries, 2014. Grrrrrrrr
Dec 9, 2004
Upper West Side, NY
I'm looking forward to the new releases as well, but what really gets my attention is the highlighted part:

There have been various rumors for years. If it finally happens this time, I will not miss it for anything.
im hoping for a coverdale page reunion myself:action-sm

jackjack

May 12, 2007
Daytona Beach
You got it exactly right. He said:

"I'd like to thank my friends for remembering my phone number."
That surprised me, up until that time I thought he was the one that didn't want to be part of the reunion.

I hope they work it out for one last tour. It'll probably be a disappointment, but nothing short of death will prevent me from seeing it.

Deadbent

You can go fuck.
Aug 19, 2005
Chicago, IL. Southside, stupid.

x2.

If it happens, I'll sell my car, home, and/or ass to get there.
A zep reunion isn't something a fan of sound misses out on and has a clear conscience about afterwards.