Led Zeppelin reunion is on (MERGED)

Oct 5, 2004
jersey
This seems to be the real deal finally. Not officially announced but many sources are reporting it's in the works and will be announced very soon. Now let's just hope for at least one more show in the US.

The legendary rock band Led Zeppelin are planning to play a huge comeback concert at the O2 arena, the concert hall housed in the former Millennium Dome.

According to reports the supergroup, who disbanded 27 years ago, are in talks with the owners of the 20,000 capacity venue to stage a spectacular one off show at the end of the year.

Speculation has been rife that the three surviving band members, Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones had been planning to perform their greatest hits at a memorial concert for the late Island Record boss Ahmet Ertegun.

Now it looks like they have chosen the venue.

No official confirmation has been given but sources have confirmed they are in talks with the owners of the venue in Greenwich, south east London.

A source said: "The talks are ongoing but it looks like a definite possibility. Nothing has been finalised but fingers crossed the most anticipated comeback concerts ever could become a reality."
advertisement

When drummer John Bonham died in 1980, his bandmates declared that Led Zeppelin had died with him.

The trio's only other reunions were a disappointing performance at the 1985 Live Aid concert, with Genesis drummer Phil Collins, and their 1995 induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.

The concert is likely to coincide with the release of a greatest hits collection for November. The late John Bonham is expected to be replaced on drums by his son Jason.

The benefit concert is expected to be in memory of Ertegun who first signed them, Ahmet. He died last October after falling at a Rolling Stones concert.

It is believed that fellow rock legends Cream are also reforming to play a concert for Ertegun.

Despite the strong speculation which was sparked by adverts appearing in a national newspaper, promoters warned fans not to buy tickets yet as nothing was confirmed.

Premier Entertainments company are offering hotel and ticket packages for £269 and insisted the official announcement was about to be made.

Neither the venue or the agents for the band were prepared to comment.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/08/31/nzeppelin131.xml
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/music...irlift+to+heaven+...+Led+Zep+at+O2/article.do

N.Y. Johnny

Fake Twitter Friend
Sep 9, 2005
Texas
That Live Aid performance really made me wish they never attempted a reunion in the first place because it was bad. Robert Plant sounded like he was taking a crap and dying up there, it was bad.
Maybe it'll work or it will be a disaster again. I wish Pink Floyd would do another fuckin show! They were great at Live 8 a while back.

edzeppe

Dec 11, 2004
The article fails to mention the 1988 (?) 40 year anniversary of Atlantic records, where they regrouped with Jason Bonham, and actually played solidly.

and as a fan of the band, i would be extremely pissed if they did a one off show, but no tour. They know their fan base is huge, and the majority of that fan base has never gotten to see them live as zeppelin. If they can set aside their differences for a special show (not just a couple songs at an event- thats slightly different), they can do a tour of some major cities across the world.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Words cannot begin to express the amount of joy this news brings me... Van who?

Supposedly, Robert Plant said in an interview that they never reunited with Jason on drums because he wasn't capable enough. I guess they reconsidered. He sure looked pretty fucking solid to me on that VH1 show he was on with Ted Nugent, Sebastian Bach, etc.

Here is another article:

Led Zeppelin set to reform

A London show is being advertised
12 hours ago
Led Zeppelin look set to reform for a gig at London's O2 Arena this autumn.

Although there has been no official announcement that the legendary rockers will perform again 27 years after they disbanded, advertisements appeared in the national press today (September 1) with top-price ticket and hotel packages on offer for £369.

A cheaper package from the Premier Entertainments company, including a night in a four-star hotel, is available for £269, reports This Is London.

Callers today were told: "It's just about to be officially announced."

Promoters subsequently told BBC 6 Music not to book tickets "just yet", but did not deny the story.

The reunion has been rumoured all year, and suspicions were further aroused when it was revealed the band would release a 2-CD 'Best Of' compilation called 'Mothership' on November 11.

It's thought that original drummer John Bonham's son Jason would replace him on drums. The band originally split following John's death aged 32 in 1980 after choking on his own vomit following an alcohol binge.

The three surviving members - John Paul Jones, Robert Plant and Jimmy Page - briefly reunited at the Live Aid concert in Philadelphia in 1985 and at Atlantic Records' 40th birthday celebrations in 1988.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
A taste....

Kashmir, from the celebrated Atlantic Records 40th Anniversary gig...

This one includes their introduction by Ahmet Ertegun:
[yt]5pLEXy71Fxs[/yt]

This one looks better though, appears from an Asian TV feed:
[yt]62ksJB-45hs[/yt]

Glenn Dandy

THE ONLY WHITE PRESIDENT LEFT.
Mar 21, 2005
Wackbag Whitehouse.
Not paying 300 a ticket to watch has beens. Im old And I know I cant do what I could when I was 21. not that their live show was much without bonham.

saw the firm... close enough.

If the tix are under 100 bucks im in... just paid 95 bucks for VH.... genesis i said fuck it...too much fucking money... Im poor you rich asshats, tour cause your cool.

not to get fucking rediculously richer... I blame the Stones. and Barbera Streisand.

they should charge me what I paid the year I had tickets Bonham died 11.00

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I will pay whatever it costs to see this show. I have been waiting most of my life for this.

I wouldn't pay a cent to see Van Halen.

Glenn Dandy

THE ONLY WHITE PRESIDENT LEFT.
Mar 21, 2005
Wackbag Whitehouse.
Yeah dif strokes fo different folks son.

I guess they are banking a few zillion peeps wannasee Zep... Im not one. Love em... just think of it like a funeral... rather remember the dead as they were before the embombing fluid.

VH on the otherhand JUSTA FUCKING CAR CRASH I HAVE TO SEE!

Oct 5, 2004
jersey
While the Atlantic reunion performance wasn't as bad as the Live Aid train wreck.. it still wasn't very good. However both of these were a long time ago, and I think with a bit of rehearsal they can sound very good. If you've heard any Page & Plant 98 shows Jimmy was absolutely on fire.. Robert's voice wasn't great, but I think he's adopted a new style in the last 10 years anyway.

As long as they don't get up there and pretend it's 1973 they'll be fine. Individually they're still 3 talented guys and anything they do I, and many others will support.

No recent clips of Jimmy, but as long as he's off the drugs he's always great.

Here's a Plant clip from July in Malta in which he sounds alright. (a rock scream at -3:25!!)
[yt]lmHPVG66sgQ[/yt]

Here's JPJ at Bonnaroo in June .. terrific as always.
[yt]nAU2xqWkyKU[/yt]

And actually this is their last "Get-Together".. 1995, R&R HOF.

[yt]0yKjGlWfyZg[/yt]

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
I'd purchase the DVD, fuck spending a ton of money just to be herded like some bleating sheep in an arena.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
While the Atlantic reunion performance wasn't as bad as the Live Aid train wreck.. it still wasn't very good. However both of these were a long time ago, and I think with a bit of rehearsal they can sound very good. If you've heard any Page & Plant 98 shows Jimmy was absolutely on fire.. Robert's voice wasn't great, but I think he's adopted a new style in the last 10 years anyway.

As long as they don't get up there and pretend it's 1973 they'll be fine. Individually they're still 3 talented guys and anything they do I, and many others will support.

No recent clips of Jimmy, but as long as he's off the drugs he's always great.
I caught both the Page/Plant tours, Jimmy Page w/ The Black Crowes, and caught Robert Plant on one of his solo tours (Tall Cool One).

I don't want them to pretend it's 1973. Honestly, I think they were at their peak in '79 at Knebworth. I'm sure they will mix it up a little.

Here's some Knebworth '79 stuff:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/JohnBonhamwhole79.html

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/JohnBonhamrock.html

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/JohnBonhamkashmir79.html

[yt]-ArWLI908i4[/yt]

Feb 5, 2003
With a stranger
This would be amazing. If they tour the U.S., I'll definitely make every effort to see it. I saw Page/Plant at the Brendan Byrne Arena in 1995 and they were great. Plant's live performances that I've heard from his last tour were excellent, too. I didn't see any of his shows, but I acquired a bootleg of one of his shows and one of Pearl Jam's shows that was a benefit for Katrina victims where he played a few songs with them, including "Fool in the Rain," which he said he'd never sung in concert before.

It's a given that not every song will sound note-for-note like the albums, but when did Zeppelin ever play their songs exactly like they were recorded anyway?

Hoffman

Guess who's back? Hoffman's back
Sep 28, 2006
Northern VA
Led Zepplin reunion

You heard it first on the Opie and Anthony show;

With the impending announcement of Led Zepplin getting back together I have two questions;

1) Who will be on drums?
2) Will you go see them?

Oct 5, 2004
jersey
No you heard it [thread]74466[/thread] here first, 5 days ago.:action-sm
and for god's sake spell Zeppelin right

Dec 9, 2004
Baton Rouge
You heard it first on the Opie and Anthony show;

With the impending announcement of Led Zepplin getting back together I have two questions;

1) Who will be on drums?
2) Will you go see them?

No you heard it [thread]74466[/thread] here first, 5 days ago.:action-sm
and for god's sake spell Zeppelin right

Oh shit hoff! Are you sure you didn't call this thread into Ron and Fez show instead of posting it?? ;)

you didn't even get a chance to add the "spin" to it.

Hoffman

Guess who's back? Hoffman's back
Sep 28, 2006
Northern VA
Oh shit hoff! Are you sure you didn't call this thread into Ron and Fez show instead of posting it??

you didn't even get a chance to add the "spin" to it.
Eh, I heard them talking about it and was just excited to start the speculation. What can I say?

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
Somebody let me know when The 2 Live Crew get together again

Phil Packer

Throat Yogurt Dispenser
Mar 9, 2005
Dumont, NJ
Jason Bonham on drums. I make shit money but i'm willing to pay into the hundreds to go to the NY, NJ, and Philly shows. Zeppelin is my favorite band ever ever ever ever.

Lil'JimmysMule

Put the Fucking Poodle in the basket
Dec 8, 2004
Jersey
Saw them at the Garden in the 70's so I have no reason to see the watered down version.