Movie Legendary Pictures Lands Rights to Dune - 11/20/20

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
If this is in the soundtrack I might consider seeing the movie.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
With how pervy his character is in Billions, Paul Giamatti crossed my mind as a potentially good Baron.

Pigdango

Donator
He's supposed to be Rabban, not Baron. Creasy has yet to be cast.
With how pervy his character is in Billions, Paul Giamatti crossed my mind as a potentially good Baron.
Stellan Skarsgard has been cast as Baron Whositsface.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...1174870?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

JANUARY 09, 2019 11:00am PT by Borys Kit

Stellan Skarsgard has joined the growing cast of Dune, Legendary’s adaptation of the Frank Herbert novel being directed by Denis Villeneuve.

Timothee Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson and Dave Bautista are already on the call sheet for the big-budget feature that is headed toward a spring start and will shoot in Budapest and Jordan.

Dune, considered a sci-fi literary classic, tells the complex story of a fallen noble family’s attempt to control a desert planet named Arrakis and its export, a rare spice drug, while being betrayed by a galactic emperor.

Chalamet is playing Paul Atreides, the son of the ruler of the family, who is forced to escape into the desert wastelands and partner with its nomadic tribes. Using enhanced mental abilities, he eventually rises to become their ruler, with the nomads believing he is their messiah, and leads an army to overthrow the empire.

Skarsgard will play one of the villains of the piece, Baron Harkonnen, whose family previously ruled Arrakis and has a long hatred of the Atreides family, plotting with the galactic emperor to destroy it. He is also the uncle to the brutish character to be played by Bautista.

Radioguy

Other than his Northern European ethnicity, I see little "Harkonnen" in him. Kenneth McMillan and Ian McNeice may not have been the best, but each seems a litlle...well, let's face it, FATTER than Skarsgard. Even fattened up and wih red dyed hair, I'm just not feeling it with Skarsgard.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
Make him fat enough and it'll work. I think it's a good fit from an acting perspective.

Radioguy

Depends of what kind of Baron Villeneuve wants to give us. McNeice was a bit closer to the book's description with the effete persona, but Lynch gave us a pretty disturbing maniacal Baron with more screen presence, and McMillan wasn't that great of an actor either. It's Lynch's characterization that made his Baron memorable. Now, I don't know which way Villeneuve will go, but Skarsgard is a more reserved actor who I don't see delivering that kind of Baron. Depending on who's cast, we might get the Emperor depicted as even more the prime mover here than in Lynch's film as a result.

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator
Who’s playing me? Clooney?

Better be Clooney.

I’ll settle for Mattie Mac though.

Bobobie

Stellan Skarsgard is perfect as Baron Harkonnen. The should cast his actual sons as the other members of the Harkonnen clan. They then wouldn't have to work as hard to make them all look related.

Last edited:

Radioguy

The should cast his actual sons as the other members of the Harkonnen clan. They then wouldn't have to work as hard to make them all look related.
Fair point. They look plenty creepy already. #2 or #4 for Feyd if I had to choose.

Bobobie

Knowing Hollywood … Wesley Snipes, you're the Baron! John Boyega, you're the Baron's nephew. Put on these red wigs.

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?

Radioguy

The actors are universally good, but no one makes me go "oh that's interesting."
That expectation sounds influenced by the Lynch film, or perhaps The Fifth Element.

I'm not going to hold to the same expectation that they have to veer left in casting to make it interesting. They had better not make it boring, but I can at least understand anchoring this with more tested actors. Skarsgard has that at least (although I can't see him as right for his part yet).

Radioguy

However, I now wonder at what Villeneuve is thinking in as far as this being a franchise what with Rampling's casting.

Sian Phillips is 85. She was 51 in 1984. Rampling is 72 now. Will she be there for the sequel(s)? Shouldn't he be thinking along those lines?

HandPanzer

τι θελεις
Rampling might be the oldest woman I would other than Helen Mirren.

Pigdango

Donator
Rampling might be the oldest woman I would other than Helen Mirren.
I wouldn't. Andie Macdowell was in that Netflix movie I watched last night. She's probably the oldest I would right now.

Wait - Christie Brinkley is 64.

Pigdango

Donator
However, I now wonder at what Villeneuve is thinking in as far as this being a franchise what with Rampling's casting.

Sian Phillips is 85. She was 51 in 1984. Rampling is 72 now. Will she be there for the sequel(s)? Shouldn't he be thinking along those lines?
The likelihood of this making enough money to warrant a sequel isn't all that high. Unless they are filming all the movies at once like Lord of the Rings, there's no point planning for sequels. I mean, you can sign everyone to contracts with options for sequels, but I don't think Villenueve is going to make the same mistake of planning too far ahead that he did with BR49. (That's assuming the Replicant Resistance was setup for a sequel and not simply a plot parachute to get them out of the hole they had written themselves into. Since the movie flopped, I guess it will forever be known as the latter.)

I expect this movie will be a self contained story. I don't know enough about Dune to know whether that's a good idea or even a possible one. Well, it must be possible, it's been done before, albeit badly.

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
The likelihood of this making enough money to warrant a sequel isn't all that high. Unless they are filming all the movies at once like Lord of the Rings, there's no point planning for sequels. I mean, you can sign everyone to contracts with options for sequels, but I don't think Villenueve is going to make the same mistake of planning too far ahead that he did with BR49. (That's assuming the Replicant Resistance was setup for a sequel and not simply a plot parachute to get them out of the hole they had written themselves into. Since the movie flopped, I guess it will forever be known as the latter.)

I expect this movie will be a self contained story. I don't know enough about Dune to know whether that's a good idea or even a possible one. Well, it must be possible, it's been done before, albeit badly.
If they want to do Dune justice, they'd need to film at least two at once. If they're pinning their hopes on this making enough returns to warrant a sequel - we know how well that works.