Movie Legendary Pictures Lands Rights to Dune - 11/20/20

Bobobie

If she's Chani, who's playing Kynes? Idris Elba?

As for Semitic races, Jews actually still exist in Dune, so no need to fill a vacuum that doesn't exist. However, if you're going to do that, and make the Atreides caucasian, then it's probably going to end up with Harkonnens being Aryan, the Emperor being Arabic, etc.
Parallel evolution. Black races evolving in the South Pacific and Africa. Guys evolving on a Desert Planet might end up looking like Arabs. Jews after thousands of years living on another planet mixing with many races would look like anything. What does that have to do with anything anyway.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
She doesn't so much for me, but I don't think she's ugly. But I definitely think that she's far too dark skinned to accurately represent aliens who live on a magical spice planet surrounded by giant sand worms. Her moderate tan complexion, tsk tsk.
She does an awful lot for me.

Discoman

Donator
They should get someone older than Oscar Isaac for Leto; though he wouldn't be a bad Duncan Idaho.

Don't mind Zendaya as Chani, with the Fremen names being somewhat middle eastern I always thought they should have a tan/dark complexion, maybe someone not so african looking though.

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
https://io9.gizmodo.com/dunes-cast-just-keeps-getting-better-looks-to-add-javi-1832272265

f this cast is any indication, Denis Villeneuve’s Dune is shaping up to be something special. Javier Bardem (mother!, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales) is the latest actor in talks for the project, joining the ranks of Zendaya, Oscar Isaac, and basically the entire Hollywood pantheon.

As reported in Variety, the Oscar winner is in talks to join the Dune reboot as Stilgar, the leader of Sietch Tabr, a Fremen tribe that takes in Paul Atreides (Timothée Chalamet) and his mother (Rebecca Ferguson) after they escape the coup in Arrakis. Stilgar eventually rises up to become a powerful leader for the Fremen, shaping their world and future. Zendaya is also in talks to star as Chani, a Fremen warrior who develops a relationship with Chalamet’s Atreides.

Isaac has been reportedly tapped to star as Paul Atreides’ father. Dune will also feature Charlotte Rampling as the Reverend Mother Mohiam, Stellan Skarsgårdas Baron Harkonnen, and Dave Bautista as his nephew.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
He's a get, but I don't know about him as Stilgar with his accent.

Then again, Everett McGill was one of the more memorable performances in the Lynch film due to his stilted manner of speech. It always sounded like he was teaching English when he spoke.

Pigdango

Donator
Life Itself had a stellar cast as well.

Pigdango

Donator
Josh Brolin has been cast as Gurney Halleck.

Proceed to whine about that at your leisure.

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
I honestly can't tell whether you guys are being sarcastic or legitimately upset about Brolin.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
The casting is a little surreal. There's something definitely thoughtful and calculated about the choices, but I have trouble imagining them in these roles.

Pigdango

Donator
I honestly can't tell whether you guys are being sarcastic or legitimately upset about Brolin.
Here let me help.

Sarcasm:
Sarcasm:
House Atreides is in shambles!
Can’t imagine anyone he’s seen in any other role in any part in Dune, either because of the original film or because of his imagination while reading the book:
The casting is a little surreal. There's something definitely thoughtful and calculated about the choices, but I have trouble imagining them in these roles.
Isn’t going to see the movie, but reporting casting news to watch the fun:
Josh Brolin has been cast as Gurney Halleck.

Proceed to whine about that at your leisure.

Pigdango

Donator
Jason Momoa has been cast as Duncan Idaho.

Is that a real name in the book? :D

Discoman

Donator
Jason Momoa has been cast as Duncan Idaho.

Is that a real name in the book? :D
Yes. More important in later books.

I'll keep an open mind. I would have preferred Oscar Isaacs for that role.

LiddyRules

The 9/11 Moon Landings Were An Outside Job
After him and Gadot, who is the third most likely Justice League cast member to appear in another DC film (as their JL character)? Because I'm willing to accept Commish Simmons as an answer. Caville? It's not Miller or Cyborg.

EDIT: Amazonians don't count.

Pigdango

Donator
After him and Gadot, who is the third most likely Justice League cast member to appear in another DC film (as their JL character)? Because I'm willing to accept Commish Simmons as an answer. Caville? It's not Miller or Cyborg.

EDIT: Amazonians don't count.
I’ll also assume Amber Heard doesn’t count, which only leaves Cavill, Miller, Simmons, Fisher and whoever played Steppenwolf.

In order of most likely to least likely, ill go
  • Steppenwolf (he could appear in New Gods)
  • Cavill (people seem relieved at Affleck’s exit, pissed about Cavill. I expect a deal to be made,)
  • Miller - he’s a somewhat decent sized name. I don’t see a reason to let him go
  • Simmons - don’t see them carrying him over like Gordon carried over from Burton to Schumacher.
  • Fisher - more likely you’d see Affleck, I think.

LiddyRules

The 9/11 Moon Landings Were An Outside Job
I’ll also assume Amber Heard doesn’t count, which only leaves Cavill, Miller, Simmons, Fisher and whoever played Steppenwolf.

In order of most likely to least likely, ill go
  • Steppenwolf (he could appear in New Gods)
  • Cavill (people seem relieved at Affleck’s exit, pissed about Cavill. I expect a deal to be made,)
  • Miller - he’s a somewhat decent sized name. I don’t see a reason to let him go
  • Simmons - don’t see them carrying him over like Gordon carried over from Burton to Schumacher.
  • Fisher - more likely you’d see Affleck, I think.
There's also Bona's family.

I don't think Step would. I also can't remember if Darkseid is even mentioned. And you expect New Gods to happen, which is... admirable.

Last edited: