Movie Legendary Pictures Lands Rights to Dune - 12/18/20

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Swap STAR WARS for DUNE in your post, and you'll understand how laughable that statement is. While Dino fucked the original adaption, it was done because a wold as complex as SW was successfully filmed. The execution was hindered, but the premise is just as good now as it was then.

Countless and great don't really go well together. There's good stuff, but Dune was better than most when it was published, and still stands the test of time. The continuation of the novels teetered a bit, but more than enough good material for decent film adaptions.
Don't get me wrong, I love Dune. It's just not a story that lends itself to film.

Elves, dwarves orcs and hobbits are easy. Good fights evil.

Dune is a deep pull. There is nothing easy about that plotline and the most interesting stuff will never translate to film.
I can say this about Watchmen as well. I actually think Dune has some themes that are very relevant now. Machines getting too smart. Colonialism. Drug addiction. Political power struggles. Don't underestimate people's ability to enjoy stuff that isn't black and white. Just look at Game of Thrones or Westworld, both shows that really go hard into morally ambiguous situations. And both are super popular. And yes, this is a movie, not a show, but I have faith in this. And the fact that they're talking to Villeneuve is encouraging. He is sorta becoming like the new Nolan, but I'd say he's even further into the indie/artsy/cerebral realm than Nolan is.

This will never be a bankable movie franchise. The Dune universe is just too strange and unrelatable for general audiences. Miniseries on SYFY wasn't bad, but the movie is worth watching just for Stings weird performance.
I thought the same thing about A Song of Ice and Fire. But they sexied it up a bit and simplified it a bit and people fucking loved it.

BIV

I can say this about Watchmen as well. I actually think Dune has some themes that are very relevant now. Machines getting too smart. Colonialism. Drug addiction. Political power struggles. Don't underestimate people's ability to enjoy stuff that isn't black and white. Just look at Game of Thrones or Westworld, both shows that really go hard into morally ambiguous situations. And both are super popular. And yes, this is a movie, not a show, but I have faith in this. And the fact that they're talking to Villeneuve is encouraging. He is sorta becoming like the new Nolan, but I'd say he's even further into the indie/artsy/cerebral realm than Nolan is.
I wouldn't say that about Watchmen, comics being a visual medium and all. All they needed was a voiceover to make it work.

But the first half of Dune makes the beginning of R1 look like Matrix Reloaded. Nothing happens other than people walking around....and it's the most interesting part of the book.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Don't get me wrong, I love Dune. It's just not a story that lends itself to film.
You say that as if it's not the exact point I'm finding fault with.

Neon's got this anyhow.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
It's iconic and has immense brand recognition, and yet it also has no definitive adaptation. It's actually the perfect franchise to adapt right now. As for its unfilmability - people said that about Lord of the Rings and about Watchmen, and both of those are really great, despite the fact that neither of those are spot on adaptations.
Watchmen was a commercial failure though.

Watchmen was a commercial failure though.
I referenced Watchmen in terms of filmability, not in terms of commercial success. Also it wasn't a huge failure. It made a modest profit globally and I think it did well on home release.

LiddyRules

She Is Not My BFF. She Is Not.
I referenced Watchmen in terms of filmability, not in terms of commercial success. Also it wasn't a huge failure. It made a modest profit globally and I think it did well on home release.
And gave us MoS and BvS!

Pigdango

Donator
I thought BIV was sort of saying maybe it's not accessible enough, which turned out to be the case with Watchmen.

And when you look at marketing costs and such, it definitely lost money for WB. It's a bit surprising WB tapped him for MoS, but I guess they blamed the material.

I thought BIV was sort of saying maybe it's not accessible enough, which turned out to be the case with Watchmen.

And when you look at marketing costs and such, it definitely lost money for WB. It's a bit surprising WB tapped him for MoS, but I guess they blamed the material.
It made $100 million on home release. As I said, I'm sure WB wanted it to be a bigger hit, but it has a cult following. I also think Watchmen would have done better if it were released now. I think the glut of cinematic universes has actually created a thirst for slightly edgier and less mainstream properties. That's why I think Deadpool did so well. It was a comic book movie that was way out there.

LiddyRules

It made $100 million on home release. As I said, I'm sure WB wanted it to be a bigger hit, but it has a cult following. I also think Watchmen would have done better if it were released now. I think the glut of cinematic universes has actually created a thirst for slightly edgier and less mainstream properties. That's why I think Deadpool did so well. It was a comic book movie that was way out there.
I've watched Watchmen more than any Marvel movie.

I don't know a lot about home release figures, but I do think this definitely qualifies as a movie that found its following after its cinematic run. I don't think they would have put out all those ultimate cuts and shit if that wasn't the case.

I think @Pigdango's point about its box office success still stands - a studio making Dune will be aiming for Lord of the Rings more than Watchmen in terms of success, but both of those projects show that "unfilmable" properties can be done if they're done right.

I'm actually very curious to see what Spielberg is doing with Ready Player One, as I consider that largely unfilmable, albeit for other reasons.

LiddyRules

I don't know a lot about home release figures, but I do think this definitely qualifies as a movie that found its following after its cinematic run. I don't think they would have put out all those ultimate cuts and shit if that wasn't the case.

I think @Pigdango's point about its box office success still stands - a studio making Dune will be aiming for Lord of the Rings more than Watchmen in terms of success, but both of those projects show that "unfilmable" properties can be done if they're done right.
They need to view Dune as LotR - a finite franchise. With the Lynch movie, they spent so much time building the world, and understandably so, that they had to rush the middle section to get it movie length. Or fail like Warcraft and not bother setting anything up so that by the time the battle happens, you care about no one. They need the confidence to both not make it a single movie and not make it an endless series. That's where LotR succeeded, they had the confidence to use one movie strictly as set up and give us breathing room. That's what Dune needs to be. Because even with Watchmen post-success, they don't want the cult hit, they want the phenomenon.

Or get Jodorowski.

I also wonder if Watchmen would be held in higher regard if MoS and BvS didn't happen.

I'm actually very curious to see what Spielberg is doing with Ready Player One, as I consider that largely unfilmable, albeit for other reasons.
Armada!

They need to view Dune as LotR - a finite franchise. With the Lynch movie, they spent so much time building the world, and understandably so, that they had to rush the middle section to get it movie length. Or fail like Warcraft and not bother setting anything up so that by the time the battle happens, you care about no one. They need the confidence to both not make it a single movie and not make it an endless series. That's where LotR succeeded, they had the confidence to use one movie strictly as set up and give us breathing room. That's what Dune needs to be. Because even with Watchmen post-success, they don't want the cult hit, they want the phenomenon.

Or get Jodorowski.

I also wonder if Watchmen would be held in higher regard if MoS and BvS didn't happen.

Armada!
Jodorowski's Dune would have probably been as visually iconic as the Lynch version, if not more, but Jodo is a fucking lunatic. It would have been too weird.

And I agree. Dune should be conceived as, say, a trilogy, but THAT'S IT. I mean if those three succeed and then you want to do other spinoffs or whatever, I don't care. The Hobbit movies blow but they have their fans AND they have no effect on the LOTR movies, that stand on their own.

If they do go with Villeneuve, I just hope he rises to the occasion like Jackson did. Before LOTR Peter Jackson didn't do anything remotely as intense and expansive as that, but he really showed that he had that in him. I also wouldn't mind Gillermo Del Toro being handed the keys to Dune. I know he has the visual sensibility to make it incredible. I still wonder what his Hobbit movies would have looked like.

Pigdango

Donator
The internet knows...

http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Watchmen#tab=summary

As to how to interpret it, here's the same information for a Marvel movie released around the same time:

http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Iron-Man#tab=summary

So Watchmen did about the 1/3 of the box office but perhaps to your point improved to do about 1/2 of the home video sales. However, that could be because of dummies like this, who bought all the different versions of it:

Did you pay to watch it every time? If not, that's an impossibly irrelevant point. 1 Liddy watching a movie 10 times does not equal 10 people watching a movie 1 time.

The internet knows...

http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Watchmen#tab=summary

As to how to interpret it, here's the same information for a Marvel movie released around the same time:

http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Iron-Man#tab=summary

So Watchmen did about the 1/3 of the box office but perhaps to your point improved to do about 1/2 of the home video sales. However, that could be because of dummies like this, who bought all the different versions of it:

Did you pay to watch it every time? If not, that's an impossibly irrelevant point. 1 Liddy watching a movie 10 times does not equal 10 people watching a movie 1 time.
In any case I wasn't using that movie for box office reasons. Although I think it's maybe unfair to compare it to Iron Man. Compare it to something that did similarly at the box office, and then you can judge if it did better than something that performed similarly in cinemas.

Pigdango

Donator
]
In any case I wasn't using that movie for box office reasons. Although I think it's maybe unfair to compare it to Iron Man. Compare it to something that did similarly at the box office, and then you can judge if it did better than something that performed similarly in cinemas.
You know some of us have things to do on Dec 24th and 25th and don't appreciate you pushing my OCD buttons:

http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/District-9#tab=summary

Merry Christmas, my friend.

]
You know some of us have things to do on Dec 24th and 25th and don't appreciate you pushing my OCD buttons:

http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/District-9#tab=summary

Merry Christmas, my friend.
So it did about twice as well as D9, but D9 had a much smaller budget so on that metric it was a bigger overall success. There are too many variables for this to be accurate lol.

And Merry Appropriated Pagan Winter Festival!

:haha7: :action-sm

Pigdango

Donator
So it did about twice as well as D9, but D9 had a much smaller budget so on that metric it was a bigger overall success. There are too many variables for this to be accurate lol.

And Merry Appropriated Pagan Winter Festival!

:haha7: :action-sm
The ratio for D9 is roughly the same as Iron Man, so I think it bears out your point that Watchmen found an audience on home media.

The ratio for D9 is roughly the same as Iron Man, so I think it bears out your point that Watchmen found an audience on home media.
I feel like it's a movie that most people either like or haven't seen/heard of. I don't think there's a big group of people who've seen it and hate it, compared to other movies that did not really succeed in theaters.

Bobobie

Swap STAR WARS for DUNE in your post, and you'll understand how laughable that statement is. While Dino fucked the original adaption, it was done because a wold as complex as SW was successfully filmed. The execution was hindered, but the premise is just as good now as it was then.
Star Wars is a very basic, by the numbers, action and adventure movie. It was written for the big screen. It's no mystery why it was a blockbuster. Dune is not Star Wars.

BIV

Here is my issue.

Unlike Watchmen, this book was never intended as a visual medium. The story structure makes it plain. So how do you film it without raping the book?

Let's make it two movies. The first half of the book has two key plot points. The initial battle and the riding of the sand worm. Most of what is in between is a lot of walking in caves, Freman philosophy, Freman lifestyle, walking in desert, talking to dudes, more religious stuff, space politics, talking to space politicians, walking into the desert looking for worms...

It all interesting when read, but what will you have to add to make it a good movie for the Call of Duty/Avengers crowd?

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Star Wars is a very basic, by the numbers, action and adventure movie. It was written for the big screen. It's no mystery why it was a blockbuster. Dune is not Star Wars.
I'm not 100% convinced you're not trolling.

Lucas created a world so dense and complete on screen that it's been compared to Herbert's prose as analogous. Hell, despite the hokey homage to classic serials, it's just as much a textbook example of something in media res as Dune is. You either decide to jump in and commit to it, or you don't. This is why SW is often compared to Dune, and why DeLaurentis decided to do it.

The argument about filming Dune is really about the execution. It's already met the depth and complexity criteria.

LiddyRules

I'm not 100% convinced you're not trolling.

Lucas created a world so dense and complete on screen that it's been compared to Herbert's prose as analogous. Hell, despite the hokey homage to classic serials, it's just as much a textbook example of something in media res as Dune is. You either decide to jump in and commit to it, or you don't. This is why SW is often compared to Dune, and why DeLaurentis decided to do it.

The argument about filming Dune is really about the execution. It's already met the depth and complexity criteria.
Star Wars has three or four or seven movies, any thing else is irrelevant. It's the Similarian. It fills in things, but you don't need to know what the Kessel Run is. Lucas probably didn't know what it was, it just sounded cool. Then authors beyond him filled in the gaps. The first Dune book is more detailed than all the Star Wars movies combined.