Movie Legendary Pictures Lands Rights to Dune - 12/18/20

Discoman

Donator
I don't know how 'fresh' Dune is as it already had a movie adaptation, a mini-series, a board game, a god-awful expanded universe, and several video games including one that revolutionized RTS games. I think it has the same problem Akira will have if it ever gets made: so many properties have paid homage or taken elements from it that there's nothing fresh or new about it. I think people might just write it off as 'Star Wars but they never leave Tatooine for the whole series"

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
The issue with Blade Runner was that I think Warner Brothers completely misunderstood the fandom behind Blade Runner. Blade Runner isn't a franchise (great mid-90s video game aside) and it doesn't have the public recognition as a lot of other sci-fi properties. Yes, people know of Blade Runner, but it's spirit is more popular than its details. People don't know the names of Deckard or Tyrell in the way they do the characters from Star Trek or Star Wars. (And honestly, I thought the weakest parts of '49 involved Harrison Ford.)

It's kind of like Citizen Kane. There's a lot of people who like Citizen Kane, but far more people recognize its importance in what it inspired than find it a good movie on its own.

So with Blade Runner, people probably felt they were expected to know the original movie and that turned them off. And I'm sure plenty of people who tried to watch it going into '49 found the original dry and boring as hell. That turned them off even more.
Excepting that Gosling gave Ford a run for his money as the weakest perfomance, I can't argue with any of this. However, in the end, as niche as the film was, it was amazingly true to the original. It had shown for the first time (Total Recall 2070 notwithstanding) that a franchise could be built on that property, and left me wanting more. I think that's a great testament to Villenue's talent. Despite the box office take, I really think it did more for him than Star Trek did for Abrams as a stepping stone; at least in profiling his talent.

Dune is different. You're going into Dune knowing you don't need to know anything about Dune. It's a standalone property in the way Lord of the Rings was. Does it help to know stuff? Sure. But it's not necessary and they also know not to do a movie that requires a Lynch glossary beforehand. And honestly, outside of the sci-fi nerd enclave, Dune is not that popular. Regular people might know of it, but beyond that probably not much else. It's the Blade Runner thing again, "have you heard of it? Yes. have you read it? No." (It's a thick book.) And no one cares about the Lynch film or the Sci-Fi movies unless you're already into it. So it's the opposite problem of Blade Runner since this is essentially a fresh property.

But fresh properties don't work. Outside of Marvel and Star Wars, how many space adventures have succeeded? A lot more have failed - John Carter, Jupiter Ascending, Valerian - and I don't think audiences really care for sweeping sci-fi dramas. I'm glad they took the gamble on this and with this director, but it's highly doubtful it will break through.
Again, you make a good case, and this is kinda that in a nutshell:

I think it has the same problem Akira will have if it ever gets made: so many properties have paid homage or taken elements from it that there's nothing fresh or new about it.
This is the often unarticulated fear underlying why there hasn't been a bigger commitment to a Dune franchise until now. It's been picked so clean by Lucas and the rest, that, tragically, adapting it can seem like one more ripoff of another property.

That said, the same was said of LOTR, and Peter Jackson turned that into gold. Despite all the naysayers, the same can happen here. I just don't know if Villenue can pull it off again, or the backing to accomplish it. I'm hard pressed to think of another talent in a position to try, so I'm glad he's been given his shot.

LiddyRules

She Is Not My BFF. She Is Not.
Excepting that Gosling gave Ford a run for his money as the weakest perfomance, I can't argue with any of this. However, in the end, as niche as the film was, it was amazingly true to the original. It had shown for the first time (Total Recall 2070 notwithstanding) that a franchise could be built on that property, and left me wanting more. I think that's a great testament to Villenue's talent. Despite the box office take, I really think it did more for him than Star Trek did for Abrams as a stepping stone; at least in profiling his talent.

This is the often unarticulated fear underlying why there hasn't been a bigger commitment to a Dune franchise until now. It's been picked so clean by Lucas and the rest, that, tragically, adapting it can seem like one more ripoff of another property.

That said, the same was said of LOTR, and Peter Jackson turned that into gold. Despite all the naysayers, the same can happen here. I just don't know if Villenue can pull it off again, or the backing to accomplish it. I'm hard pressed to think of another talent in a position to try, so I'm glad he's been given his shot.

I think the problem with Dune isn't going to be quality. I trust Villeneuve will do a fantastic, respectful job all around. The problem might be the Blade Runner "ewww boring" effect. People liked LOTR because it was fun and whimsical on top of the dark stuff. It got you pleasantly engaged with Bilbo's birthday party and the zany characters.

From what I remember of Dune, the opening birthday party involves space witches shoving a kid's hand in a mystery box and then everyone dies.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
It's going to be exactly like BR.

If it's not then he spiced up the source material 100x more than necessary.

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
It's going to be exactly like BR.

If it's not then he spiced up the source material 100x more than necessary.
That reminds me, I want Battle Royale 3.

The Dune series will survive; there were a few great classic video games for it.

It could weirdly end up like Heinlein's Starship Troopers with them splitting the movie so much from the book that there are several derivative movies.

Dina Meyer: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000539/

The Spice must flow.
May His divine light always guide us.

LiddyRules

Diggity Dune update yo. Warners is moving this bitch to December 18, which probably means they have more faith in it by making it their big December movie.

Also coming out that date are: that Uncharted: Origins with Tom Holland, the Coming to America sequel, and West Side Story, Spielberg's utterly unnecessary remake of West Side Story.

Other stuff allegedly planned for next December? Untitled Paramount/Skydance Event Movie. The Croods 2, which I don't think is happening. And the Cruella DeVille prequel movie starring Emma Stone.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Diggity Dune update yo. Warners is moving this bitch to December 18, which probably means they have more faith in it by making it their big December movie.

Also coming out that date are: that Uncharted: Origins with Tom Holland, the Coming to America sequel, and West Side Story, Spielberg's utterly unnecessary remake of West Side Story.

Other stuff allegedly planned for next December? Untitled Paramount/Skydance Event Movie. The Croods 2, which I don't think is happening. And the Cruella DeVille prequel movie starring Emma Stone.
December isn’t normally where WB plays. The only other movie they have released at that time in the last decade plus was one they had absolutely no faith in whatsoever.

Still, it could be a good move for a movie like this that won’t open big and will need word of mouth, and it’s smart to at least try to position this as something to fill the void left by no Star Wars and Avatar getting bumped again.

LiddyRules

December isn’t normally where WB plays. The only other movie they have released at that time in the last decade plus was one they had absolutely no faith in whatsoever.

Still, it could be a good move for a movie like this that won’t open big and will need word of mouth, and it’s smart to at least try to position this as something to fill the void left by no Star Wars and Avatar getting bumped again.
Think West Side Story has legs?

LiddyRules

It would be so sad if it did.
I agree. Even among that era of musicals, it seems particularly dated. But if your only other options are a sad 3 hour sci-fi drama and Coming to America Again and Emma Stone killing puppies, then shit.

Radioguy

I saw that.

Cheri Oteri was really underrated.

jnoble

Lingering longer for a longering linger
Robert Downey Jr is so young looking in that he's hardly recognizable

jnoble

I saw that.

Cheri Oteri was really underrated.
That whole era's cast (Will Ferrell, Tracy Morgan, Cheri Oteri, Chris Parnell, etc) was excellent. Lorne did a great job rebooting the show after the disaster '94-'95 season which almost got it cancelled. Looking back all these years later its hard to believe an SNL cast with Farley Sandler Mike Myers Spade McDonald was considered "horrible" but the show wasn't hip or cool to watch anymore at the time

Floyd1977

Looking back all these years later its hard to believe an SNL cast with Farley Sandler Mike Myers Spade McDonald was considered "horrible" but the show wasn't hip or cool to watch anymore at the time
One of those seasons that just never “clicked” despite having sufficient talent. Though Farler/Spade/Sandler/Norm etc has been on the show for years at that point and were kind of at the end of their shelf life.

jnoble

One of those seasons that just never “clicked” despite having sufficient talent. Though Farler/Spade/Sandler/Norm etc has been on the show for years at that point and were kind of at the end of their shelf life.
Yep. The cast was too large and Chris Elliott, Jeanne Garofolo and a couple others didn't really fit in plus the older cast members were looking to move on to other things and it showed. A lot of the writing was pretty bad too. But I'd still take almost anything from that season no matter how lame over today's woke Girl Power! Orange man bad! SNL. Its barely even comedy anymore. A lot of Norm's Weekend Update jokes 25 years ago would've caused a big to-do now. Or the constant use of 'homo' and 'bitch' in the sketches. One of the reasons Garafolo quit halfway through was she felt it was too sexist and a boys club. Ironically all this time later the show is a girls club and I feel like the male cast members don't get to do much aside from playing secondary parts behind fat ass Aidey Bryant overrated Kate McKinnon and the other not really funny broads they have

Floyd1977

Yep. The cast was too large and Chris Elliott, Jeanne Garofolo and a couple others didn't really fit in plus the older cast members were looking to move on to other things and it showed. A lot of the writing was pretty bad too. But I'd still take almost anything from that season no matter how lame over today's woke Girl Power! Orange man bad! SNL. Its barely even comedy anymore. A lot of Norm's Weekend Update jokes 25 years ago would've caused a big to-do now. Or the constant use of 'homo' and 'bitch' in the sketches. One of the reasons Garafolo quit halfway through was she felt it was too sexist and a boys club. Ironically all this time later the show is a girls club and I feel like the male cast members don't get to do much aside from playing secondary parts behind fat ass Aidey Bryant overrated Kate McKinnon and the other not really funny broads they have
I got to imagine that Lorne is really just a glorified figurehead these days. He’s got enough fingers in other stuff that I couldn’t see him even having the time to run SNL the way he used to.

jnoble

I got to imagine that Lorne is really just a glorified figurehead these days. He’s got enough fingers in other stuff that I couldn’t see him even having the time to run SNL the way he used to.
I wonder how longer the show will last after he retires or dies. If it spirals even farther down the political propaganda feminist bullshit route

Radioguy

I’m sure most people probably don’t remember that RDJ was a cast member for a season.
He's never worked with any of those folks since, has he? That he excised almost everything from that era of his life, like the baby with the bathwater, is such a fuck you to all of them. Then again, I might have lost Quaid and Dunn's numbers myself.

Last edited: