Legendary Pictures Lands Rights to Dune

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Dune: Warcraft Producers Legendary Pictures Land Movie Rights

It’s time to explore some desert planets.
By Alex Gilyadov

Warcraft producer Legendary Pictures has acquired the rights to Frank Herbert’s best-selling sci-fi novel, Dune.

According to Variety, the production company was able to get the rights from Herbert’s estate. The agreement allows Legendary Pictures to develop both film and TV projects, and will be produced by Cale Boyter, Thomas Tull, and Mary Parent.

Dune is set in the distant future where a desert planet, Arrakis, is the sole producer of a valuable resource sought after by noble families. The story explores political and religious themes, and follows protagonist Paul Atreides and his quest to restore his family’s control of the desert planet.

David Lynch's 1984 Dune film.

Director David Lynch adapted Herbert’s novel in a 1984 film starring Kyle MacLachlan. The movie was a box office and critical flop, but has since become a cult favorite. The Sci-Fi Channel, as it was called at the time, produced two Dune TV miniseries in 2000 and 2003, with the latter based on two of Herbert's book sequels (Herbert wrote five sequels in total).

Many other attempts have been made to film Dune over the years, with the most recent being Paramount Pictures' acquisition of the rights in 2008. Peter Berg was hired to direct the film, but he dropped out and was replaced by Pierre Morel in 2010. That film never materialized.

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
I am happy that this is happening.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Legendary Scores Film Rights To “Dune”

Legendary Entertainment has acquired the film and television motion picture rights to Frank Herbert’s “Dune” novel series from the late author’s estate.

The agreement allows for the development and production of possible film and TV projects for a global audience with all works to include Thomas Tull, Mary Parent, Cale Boyter, Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt and Kim Herbert as executive producers.

Set in the distant future, the original novel follows Paul Atreides whose noble family accepts control of the desert planet Arrakis. As the only planet capable of producing the highly valuable resource, control of Arrakis is highly contested amongst the noble families.

When Paul and his family are betrayed, the story explores themes of politics, religion, and man’s relationship to nature as Paul leads a rebellion to restore his family’s control of Arrakis.

The work has previously been adapted for the screen twice – as a 1984 film directed by David Lynch starring Kyle MacLachlan, and a 2000 TV mini-series starring Alec Newman. Acclaimed filmmaker Alejandro Jodorowsky attempted to do a ten-hour feature adaptation in the mid-1970s that never took off, while Peter Berg and Pierre Morel were linked to another failed attempt at a film between 2008 and 2010.

Source: Legendary

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I've been saying for a long time that I can't believe this hasn't happened already. It's so ripe for a big budget proper adaptation. The two previous ones each had problems and it's fertile ground for a giant franchise hit.

Voodoo Ben

You gotta wash your ass
Dec 5, 2010
Dune has had the worst luck with a movie adaption.

It's just like with The Fantastic 4.

Last edited:

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Dune has had the worst luck with a movie adaption.

It's just like with The Fantastic 4.
Not really. It had one movie that was really off and weird but is very memorable visually, and one Sci-Fi channel miniseries that was faithful but really dull and uninspired. It is ripe for today's cinematic universe-thirsty studios. Just gotta make it good.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Aug 25, 2002
NYC
I really feel that this is one of those projects that no director can envision without feeling the bar was set by Lynch.

Yeah, that flopped, but it was Dino who screwed it up, and Lynch has never gone back to revisit it with a new cut (not that I'd ever expect him to, but I think reason #1 is that there's just not enough shot to make what he originally wanted).

For a long time, I had wanted sequels in the same theme/universe rather than a reboot, and in part because I think it would have worked. Now, I only think someone like a Cameron could get past that and through it to something good.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I just fear the Legendary Pictures tag. They are the masters of the big budget bomb.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Not really. It had one movie that was really off and weird but is very memorable visually, and one Sci-Fi channel miniseries that was faithful but really dull and uninspired. It is ripe for today's cinematic universe-thirsty studios. Just gotta make it good.
The biggest issue with the Lynch movie, and probably any movie of Dune, is that you're going to front load the movie with exposition and universe building that by the time Paul finally gets to the Fremen, you're going to have to rush or condense his training and re-rise to power unless you make it a three+ hour movie, which no, or you LotR it with two back to back movies.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
The biggest issue with the Lynch movie, and probably any movie of Dune, is that you're going to front load the movie with exposition and universe building that by the time Paul finally gets to the Fremen, you're going to have to rush or condense his training and re-rise to power unless you make it a three+ hour movie, which no, or you LotR it with two back to back movies.
You have to conceive this as a trilogy, I think. Rework the original Dune novels into a more digestable 3 movie arc (kinda like they did with LOTR). That's also why I think Peter Jackson is not a bad choice to helm this. Also Del Toro, but that's more about his visual sensibility. To me, the most memorable thing about the Lynch movie was the designs of things. I think the Duneiverse needs to be a little twisted and bizarre to work, and Del Toro could certainly pull that off. Someone also suggested Villeneuve but I'm not so sure. I want to see what he does with Blade Runner before ruling him right for something with more widespread appeal.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
You have to conceive this as a trilogy, I think. Rework the original Dune novels into a more digestable 3 movie arc (kinda like they did with LOTR). That's also why I think Peter Jackson is not a bad choice to helm this. Also Del Toro, but that's more about his visual sensibility. To me, the most memorable thing about the Lynch movie was the designs of things. I think the Duneiverse needs to be a little twisted and bizarre to work, and Del Toro could certainly pull that off. Someone also suggested Villeneuve but I'm not so sure. I want to see what he does with Blade Runner before ruling him right for something with more widespread appeal.
My only issue with this is that the first third of Dune is by far the weakest. Unless you find a way to make it pop, you risk killing the series before it gets to the "good stuff."

I wonder if this could be better served by reworking the order of the book. Start with him joining the Fremen and play out the first third of the book in flashbacks.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
My only issue with this is that the first third of Dune is by far the weakest. Unless you find a way to make it pop, you risk killing the series before it gets to the "good stuff."

I wonder if this could be better served by reworking the order of the book. Start with him joining the Fremen and play out the first third of the book in flashbacks.
Depends how you define weakest. In the book, possibly, but in the Lynch film, no. Plus you want all the universal context, otherwise it's a traditional hero's narrative.

Discoman

Donator
Feb 21, 2010
New York
One of my favorite book series, hopefully they keep Frank Herbert's son away from this and throw out most of the Lynch designs. If they got into the later books they could hopefully find a sort of replacement for the 'abomination' children concept (having the hidden memories of your ancestors seems like a lazy deus ex machina used by alot of Sci-fi writers of that time)

Radioguy

Aug 25, 2002
NYC
Good God, if they do the Ghola stuff...well, they can't because everyone aged out or died, really.

I'd kill to see The Jews, though. That would make it all worthwhile. :D

Voodoo Ben

You gotta wash your ass
Dec 5, 2010
Also has there ever been a comic book adaptation?

I know there was an comic book adaption of the Lynch movie.

I mean a strait up adaptation of the books.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Arrival Director in Talks to Helm Dune Reboot

Another potential sci-fi film for Villeneuve.
By Alex Gilyadov

Arrival and Blade Runner 2049 director Denis Villeneuve is reportedly in talks to helm the Dune reboot.

Variety reports that Legendary Pictures is eyeing Villeneuve to helm the project but both parties are still very much still in early talks. If Villenuve were to take on the film, this would be his third sci-fi project following Arrival and next year's Blade Runner 2049.

Legendary announced the Dune reboot after the company acquired the film rights from author Frank Herbert's estate earlier this year. The agreement allows Legendary to develop both film and TV projects. But, it doesn't look likely that Villeneuve would be involved in a potential Dune TV series, according to Variety.

Dune is set in a distant future and follows the story of Paul Atreides, who goes on a quest to restore his family's control of the desert planet Arrakis. Director David Lynch adapted Herbert's first novel in the Dune series in a 1984 film starring Kyle MacLachlan in the lead role. It was a critical and box office flop, and many other attempts have been made to develop another Dune film over the years.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/12...m-dune-reboot?abthid=585b0b92807493b404000021

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Arrival Director in Talks to Helm Dune Reboot

Another potential sci-fi film for Villeneuve.
By Alex Gilyadov

Arrival and Blade Runner 2049 director Denis Villeneuve is reportedly in talks to helm the Dune reboot.

Variety reports that Legendary Pictures is eyeing Villeneuve to helm the project but both parties are still very much still in early talks. If Villenuve were to take on the film, this would be his third sci-fi project following Arrival and next year's Blade Runner 2049.

Legendary announced the Dune reboot after the company acquired the film rights from author Frank Herbert's estate earlier this year. The agreement allows Legendary to develop both film and TV projects. But, it doesn't look likely that Villeneuve would be involved in a potential Dune TV series, according to Variety.

Dune is set in a distant future and follows the story of Paul Atreides, who goes on a quest to restore his family's control of the desert planet Arrakis. Director David Lynch adapted Herbert's first novel in the Dune series in a 1984 film starring Kyle MacLachlan in the lead role. It was a critical and box office flop, and many other attempts have been made to develop another Dune film over the years.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/12...m-dune-reboot?abthid=585b0b92807493b404000021
After getting all excited about Blade Runner, this is good news. I said last month that I wasn't so sure Villeneuve would be right for this project but I'm starting to reconsider. Especially if he brings Roger Deakens with him. That's someone who would do justice to the visuals of something like Dune.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
This will never be a bankable movie franchise. The Dune universe is just too strange and unrelatable for general audiences. Miniseries on SYFY wasn't bad, but the movie is worth watching just for Stings weird performance.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
This will never be a bankable movie franchise. The Dune universe is just too strange and unrelatable for general audiences. Miniseries on SYFY wasn't bad, but the movie is worth watching just for Stings weird performance.
I don't understand why they keep trying to force this. There are countless great Sci-Fi novels that would be far easier to adapt to film.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I don't understand why they keep trying to force this. There are countless great Sci-Fi novels that would be far easier to adapt to film.
It's iconic and has immense brand recognition, and yet it also has no definitive adaptation. It's actually the perfect franchise to adapt right now. As for its unfilmability - people said that about Lord of the Rings and about Watchmen, and both of those are really great, despite the fact that neither of those are spot on adaptations.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
It's iconic and has immense brand recognition, and yet it also has no definitive adaptation. It's actually the perfect franchise to adapt right now. As for its unfilmability - people said that about Lord of the Rings and about Watchmen, and both of those are really great, despite the fact that neither of those are spot on adaptations.
Elves, dwarves orcs and hobbits are easy. Good fights evil.

Dune is a deep pull. There is nothing easy about that plotline and the most interesting stuff will never translate to film.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
I actually love the original film, I thought the visuals were stunning but the story it's self was so convoluted that you have To watch it 5-6 times before you can figure it out, I also watched the mini series that I kind of liked but it seemed low budget, honestly I read about two chapters of the book and never picked it up again so I guess I'm a bad judge of how it follows the book, I agree that it needs to be broken into at least three films, on establishing the universe, one dealing with his training and inclusion with the Fermin and benijezuit, then the final epic battle, but leaving it open for the other sequels. The winner would be a drawn out series on a pay channel that has the budget for good effects and coshtumes

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
I read the Trilogy and the third one was a chore. It made reading National Lampoons Doon even more enjoyable. I still laugh when I see or hear of Kareem Jabbar

Radioguy

Aug 25, 2002
NYC
This will never be a bankable movie franchise. The Dune universe is just too strange and unrelatable for general audiences.
Swap STAR WARS for DUNE in your post, and you'll understand how laughable that statement is. While Dino fucked the original adaption, it was done because a wold as complex as SW was successfully filmed. The execution was hindered, but the premise is just as good now as it was then.

Countless and great don't really go well together. There's good stuff, but Dune was better than most when it was published, and still stands the test of time. The continuation of the novels teetered a bit, but more than enough good material for decent film adaptions.