Legendary Pictures Lands Rights to Dune

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Oh, the previous film boiled a lot down, and this one will too. I'm not married to the book to the extent that I expect little to go. It, like the opposite of SW, has established material that can still be adapted later; even as planned retcons.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Star Wars has three or four or seven movies, any thing else is irrelevant. It's the Similarian. It fills in things, but you don't need to know what the Kessel Run is. Lucas probably didn't know what it was, it just sounded cool. Then authors beyond him filled in the gaps. The first Dune book is more detailed than all the Star Wars movies combined.
There are 8 movies.

And in other breaking news, a book has more details than a movie.

Radioguy

Unless I missed it, there's been no mention of Avatar in the thread, and that's a franchise showing a complex world, and one based on jungle life. To have an established franchise based on a desert world, and no one wanting to resurrect it to capitalize on it thematically (like the plethora of various disaster movies at a time) just doesn't happen.

That's one of the lesser reasons this is happening, but it's definitely one of them.

Bobobie

I'm not 100% convinced you're not trolling.

Lucas created a world so dense and complete on screen that it's been compared to Herbert's prose as analogous. Hell, despite the hokey homage to classic serials, it's just as much a textbook example of something in media res as Dune is. You either decide to jump in and commit to it, or you don't. This is why SW is often compared to Dune, and why DeLaurentis decided to do it.

The argument about filming Dune is really about the execution. It's already met the depth and complexity criteria.
It could be a masterpiece of film making, but average Joe will not understand or get any of it. They would have to spice up the story with some Micheal Bay splosions or Game of Thrones orgies, delete characters they don't understand like Mentats, Navigators, Guild Members, and the Bene Gesserit, then put back in Computers and Robots so they understand that this is the Future. Then when it barely resembles the original story it might draw in a larger audience.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
It’s Official: The Dune Reboot Has Found Its Director

It has been rumored for a while that Legendary Pictures had been courting Sicario and Arrival director Denis Villeneuve for their upcoming Dune reboot. Now in under 140 characters, Brian Herbert (son of Dune author Frank Herbert) has confirmed that the contracts have all been signed, and Villeneuve will be directing.

Back in late November, we’d reported on Legendary having secured the rights to the Dune series of novels from the Frank Herbert estate. The deal gives Legendary the option for both film and television rights worldwide. Brian’s tweet implies that Villeneuve will be attached to the film project, and we’ll keep an eye out for any news on around the TV front. It seems that studios are looking to go wider than a single format lately, with Lionsgate developing the Kingkiller Chronicles simultaneously for both TV and Film.

The Dune projects would be produced by Thomas Tull, Mary Parent and Cale Boyter, with Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt and Kim Herbert serving as executive producers.

The property has been developed several times previously, with the 1984 David Lynch version being the most well known, with Twin Peaks star Kyle MacLachlan as Paul Atreides. A few years ago MacLachlan took to twitter to explain the plot of Dune in a single tweet to a fan unfamiliar with the story:

Pigdango

Donator
So now the fun begins. Will it ever actually get made? How many years of Villy's life will this kill? What will the budget be? What do they think the box office prospects are in the US? Internationally? Are there expectations for a sequel or a Dune CU? How do you make the movie and not have it turn into a cross between The Phantom Menace and Jupiter Ascending?

I think if you're a fan of Villy this could turn into bad news as it potentially takes him out of the game for a long time. He's been pretty prolific up to this point but this is an entirely different type of nut to crack than anything he's done before. They obviously don't have a script or even a screenwriter yet. I guess if he's not writing the script he might be able to do other things while they wait for that. Like The Batman movie, maybe?

Neon

ネオン
Donator
So now the fun begins. Will it ever actually get made? How many years of Villy's life will this kill? What will the budget be? What do they think the box office prospects are in the US? Internationally? Are there expectations for a sequel or a Dune CU? How do you make the movie and not have it turn into a cross between The Phantom Menace and Jupiter Ascending?

I think if you're a fan of Villy this could turn into bad news as it potentially takes him out of the game for a long time. He's been pretty prolific up to this point but this is an entirely different type of nut to crack than anything he's done before. They obviously don't have a script or even a screenwriter yet. I guess if he's not writing the script he might be able to do other things while they wait for that. Like The Batman movie, maybe?
Well he's not starring in it haha. Also there have been no announcements regarding projects of his after Blade Runner, which pretty far along in production.

Pigdango

Donator
Well he's not starring in it haha. Also there have been no announcements regarding projects of his after Blade Runner, which pretty far along in production.
Will be interesting to see who is producing it and what kind of timeline they're shooting for and how involved Villy is in the script and whatnot. I know nothing about the guy to know if he's a James Gunn type who will take this time to write and draw a sourcebook for the universe and rewrite the script from a treatment or if he leaves that type of stuff to the production team. He sort of walked onto the set of Blade Runner after the script and a lot of the early development was completed, so I'm thinking maybe the latter, especially on something this size. That's what makes it interesting that he signed on without a script. (I'm assuming that, but Legendary just bought the rights 3 months ago - if they have a script right now it's either old, shit, or both.)

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Will be interesting to see who is producing it and what kind of timeline they're shooting for and how involved Villy is in the script and whatnot. I know nothing about the guy to know if he's a James Gunn type who will take this time to write and draw a sourcebook for the universe and rewrite the script from a treatment or if he leaves that type of stuff to the production team. He sort of walked onto the set of Blade Runner after the script and a lot of the early development was completed, so I'm thinking maybe the latter, especially on something this size. That's what makes it interesting that he signed on without a script. (I'm assuming that, but Legendary just bought the rights 3 months ago - if they have a script right now it's either old, shit, or both.)
He didn't write any of the movies he made so like you said, I have no idea what his process is. I think Blade Runner is a big test for him because he is stepping into an existing world, but already the teaser showed his kind of meticulous attention to visuals, which I think Dune really needs in order to shine. So yes, it really depends heavily on what other people they hire and how well they mesh together.

LiddyRules

The 9/11 Moon Landings Were An Outside Job
David Lynch recovered. And I think Denis is a smart enough filmmaker who will recover. I just hope this isn't a Duncan Jones situation.

My big problem is the television side project. Concentrate on making a great movie or definitive number of movies. Don't start to spiral out of control in an attempt to megafranchise. It works with Marvel because of the sheer amount of characters, many of whom are in the public consciousness and relatively simple because they exist in the "real" world. When you focus more on franchise starter over film, that's when you run into issues.

Radioguy

My big problem is the television side project. Concentrate on making a great movie or definitive number of movies. Don't start to spiral out of control in an attempt to megafranchise. It works with Marvel because of the sheer amount of characters, many of whom are in the public consciousness and relatively simple because they exist in the "real" world. When you focus more on franchise starter over film, that's when you run into issues.
Agreed wholeheartedly. I do believe we will get a CU from this in time, even if this film is an abortion. Still, they need to make this right in the first step before television tie-ins. I do think a series might work, but only if they have at least three successful films under their belts. People have to love the world the film(s) create(s) first.

Pigdango

Donator
Bump! I guess this is still happening?

https://deadline.com/2018/07/timoth...illenueve-legendary-frank-herbert-1202427315/

Timothée Chalamet In Talks To Star In ‘Dune’ For Denis Villeneuve And Legendary

Timothée Chalamet is in final talks to star in the Denis Villeneuve-directed Dune, the cinematic relaunch of one of the most celebrated science fiction properties of all time for Legendary.
Legendary acquired film and TV rights to the Frank Herbert novels Dune in 2016, with the intention of making multiple films. Villeneuve chose that film over numerous offers as his followup to Blade Runner 2049. That included James Bond, this well before Danny Boyle came in with his own take for that movie that was drafted by John Hodge.

Chalamet will play the lead, which in the David Lynch-directed original was Kyle MacLachlan. The young nobleman Paul Atreides is the central figure in the series of sprawling epic novels first published in 1965. It is set in the far future involving worlds beyond Earth, ruled over by competing feudal families who control access to a drug called Melange. Known popularly as “spice,” the drug gives its users heightened consciousness and an extended lifespan at the cost of crippling addiction and fatal withdrawal. Spice, use of which makes interstellar travel possible, is found only on the desert planet of Arrakis — aka “Dune” — and as such is the most valuable commodity in the galaxy. The original was a contentious shoot, with Lynch battling his producers and financiers, but Dune has been tapped successfully for the small screen and the version by Villeneuve, after films from Incendies to Sicario, Arrival to Blade Runner 2049, makes for about as anticipated an iconic scifi novel series adaptation as you’ll find in Hollywood, Game of Thrones meets Star Wars.

Chalamet is coming off an acclaimed and Oscar-nominated performance in the Luca Guadagnino-directed Call Me By Your Name, and he follows with another Oscarbait picture, as the title character in Amazon Studios’ Beautiful Boy, the harrowing true chronicle of addiction first depicted in the bestselling father-son memoirs by David and Nic Sheff. Chalamet stars with Steve Carell for director Felix van Groeningen, who wrote the script with Luke Davies, based on the memoirs Beautiful Boy by David Sheff and Tweak by Nic Sheff.

Pigdango

Donator
Wow sounds miscasted already.
I don’t know anything about him or the source material. As a fan of Villeneuve, I wish he was doing something else. Anything else, really. At least it’s moving forward and not stuck in development hell.

Discoman

Donator
I don’t know anything about him or the source material. As a fan of Villeneuve, I wish he was doing something else. Anything else, really. At least it’s moving forward and not stuck in development hell.
I don't think they're even going to do just one film either, so this is going to be several years for him.

Floyd1977

I don't think they're even going to do just one film either, so this is going to be several years for him.
I'm very surprised they're still going through with this after the box office failure of Blade Runner 2

Discoman

Donator

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
Lady Jessica is the main character's mother, but a consort to his father. She is of a religious order called the Bene Gesserit that attempts to rule/influence galactic politics through diplomacy and genetics.

According to the same article 'Call Me by Your Name' is playing Paul.
Or, for Piggie, she's the main female lead.

LiddyRules

The 9/11 Moon Landings Were An Outside Job
Lady Jessica is the main character's mother, but a consort to his father. She is of a religious order called the Bene Gesserit that attempts to rule/influence galactic politics through diplomacy and genetics.

According to the same article 'Call Me by Your Name' is playing Paul.
I think Call Me is a good actor and even better song, but he's too old.