Legendary Pictures Lands Rights to Dune

LiddyRules

The 9/11 Moon Landings Were An Outside Job
I wouldn't. Andie Macdowell was in that Netflix movie I watched last night. She's probably the oldest I would right now.

Wait - Christie Brinkley is 64.
Andie Macdowell also has an okay looking daughter.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
The likelihood of this making enough money to warrant a sequel isn't all that high. Unless they are filming all the movies at once like Lord of the Rings, there's no point planning for sequels. I mean, you can sign everyone to contracts with options for sequels, but I don't think Villenueve is going to make the same mistake of planning too far ahead that he did with BR49. (That's assuming the Replicant Resistance was setup for a sequel and not simply a plot parachute to get them out of the hole they had written themselves into. Since the movie flopped, I guess it will forever be known as the latter.)

I expect this movie will be a self contained story. I don't know enough about Dune to know whether that's a good idea or even a possible one. Well, it must be possible, it's been done before, albeit badly.
First and foremost: This is a franchise. Anyone who says otherwise knows nothing of the property. This wouldn't be made at all without the intent of sequels even if some novels are combined for scripts.

Despite Lynch's film flopping, it's still a franchise. Every (original) novel succeeded and expanded upon the world of the first book and giving the property the weight it has today. Even were there just the one book, who would back such a film without the potential for sequels? That happens even with crap adaptions of crap novels. De Laurentis even planned for sequels with Jodorowsky or Lynch years ago, and Dune's only grown since.

With Rampling here, either Villenueve's SO convinced she's the right fit no matter what, or you're right in thinking there that he's not thinking of the future. If the latter, I imagine there's some tension with producers about this.

Thankfully, Mohiam is only really critical for Dune and Dune Messiah, which does open the door to the possibility that Villenueve will combine those in this (first) film. However, I don't know if that's a great idea if (re)starting a film franchise, as Messiah has a more downbeat ending than the first novel. It may not leave the best taste in the mouths of theatergoers, while Messiah on its own as part of a series, more like The Two Towers would go down better.

Radioguy

..I don't think Villenueve is going to make the same mistake of planning too far ahead that he did with BR49. (That's assuming the Replicant Resistance was setup for a sequel and not simply a plot parachute to get them out of the hole they had written themselves into. Since the movie flopped, I guess it will forever be known as the latter.)
Still a sore point with me. I want to see more of that world. Villenueve got it so right...but for the lead.

If they want to do Dune justice, they'd need to film at least two at once.
That's kind of what I was thinking, but Dune Messiah's end is an odd closing for the start of a new series. It's like The Ten Commandments ending halfway through. Paul's brought down and left to die in the desert. The end of the original feels more right, and looks more right in the redux ending of the Lynch film. It leaves you wanting to see what he can do next.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
First and foremost: This is a franchise. Anyone who says otherwise knows nothing of the property. This wouldn't be made at all without the intent of sequels even if some novels are combined for scripts.

Despite Lynch's film flopping, it's still a franchise. Every (original) novel succeeded and expanded upon the world of the first book and giving the property the weight it has today. Even were there just the one book, who would back such a film without the potential for sequels? That happens even with crap adaptions of crap novels. De Laurentis even planned for sequels with Jodorowsky or Lynch years ago, and Dune's only grown since.

With Rampling here, either Villenueve's SO convinced she's the right fit no matter what, or you're right in thinking there that he's not thinking of the future. If the latter, I imagine there's some tension with producers about this.

Thankfully, Mohiam is only really critical for Dune and Dune Messiah, which does open the door to the possibility that Villenueve will combine those in this (first) film. However, I don't know if that's a great idea if (re)starting a film franchise, as Messiah has a more downbeat ending than the first novel. It may not leave the best taste in the mouths of theatergoers, while Messiah on its own as part of a series, more like The Two Towers would go down better.
I think the other thing is that you're probably overthinking her age and what would happen if she were unable to continue for any theoretical sequels. Richard Harris was 67 years old when he was hired to play Dumbledore for what was an already planned out seven film series. He died. They replaced him. Shit happens.

And like I said, unless they are filming them concurrently, sequels are only ever theoretical. The franchise will carry the stink of the original film's failure unless and until this movie proves it's viability as a film franchise. Any discussion about it's success as a series of books or even the Sy Fy mini series is irrelevant, as proven recently by Star Trek 4's cancellation. The very worst thing the first film in a hoped for series of films can do is leave too many story threads open or jam too many references or easter eggs for future films in:

They need to be focused on making the best possible stand alone film they can with the material they have, not whether their actors will survive for another 10 years.

Discoman

Donator
If they want to do Dune justice, they'd need to film at least two at once. If they're pinning their hopes on this making enough returns to warrant a sequel - we know how well that works.
Considering how short and small scale Prophets of Dune is that's how it should be done. The big problem though is that Chalamet is too young looking (even at 23 years, oh my) to be Paul in that and Children of Dune.

Radioguy

I think the other thing is that you're probably overthinking her age and what would happen if she were unable to continue for any theoretical sequels. Richard Harris was 67 years old when he was hired to play Dumbledore for what was an already planned out seven film series. He died. They replaced him. Shit happens.
Goes without saying, well at least these days it does. Here, there's more expectation of getting it right from the outset due to the heightened status of the material and the previous flop. The comparison isn't so apropos, since Potter was new at the time of those films and without as many per-conceived expectations as Dune fans might have.

Considering how short and small scale Prophets of Dune is that's how it should be done. The big problem though is that Chalamet is too young looking (even at 23 years, oh my) to be Paul in that and Children of Dune.
Now we're getting lost in the weeds. Speaking of Dune before it was a novel (the original magazine-serialized sections) doesn't help. We don't want the original novel split into parts for films...do we? We'd have to recast a lot more as time goes on.

That's part of the issue you cite with Chalamet too. Maybe you're thinking he'd age well enough by Children if we draw this out, but look at him. He won't. He has David Mazouz syndrome (When casting director's sense is overwhelmed by cuteness).

Pigdango

Donator
Oscar Isaac is playing Jared Leto:

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/oscar-isaac-dune-reboot-1203109822/

Oscar Isaac in Talks to Join Timothee Chalamet in ‘Dune’ Reboot
By JUSTIN KROLL

Oscar Isaac is the latest star in negotiations to join Legendary’s “Dune” reboot, sources tell Variety. He will join a cast that includes Timothee Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Stellan Skarsgard, and Charlotte Rampling.

Isaac will play the father of Chalamet’s character in the movie. “Arrival” and “Blade Runner 2049” filmmaker Denis Villeneuve is directing and is co-writing the script with Eric Roth and Jon Spaihts.

Legendary closed a deal with the Frank Herbert estate in 2016 for his famous novel, granting the studio rights to both film and TV properties. The project will be produced by Villeneuve, Mary Parent, and Cale Boyter, with Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt, Thomas Tull, and Kim Herbert serving as executive producers. Kevin J. Anderson will serve as a creative consultant.

Set in the distant future, “Dune” follows Paul Atreides, whose family assumes control of the desert planet Arrakis. As the only producer of a highly valuable resource, jurisdiction over Arrakis is contested among competing noble families. After Paul and his family are betrayed, the story explores themes of politics, religion, and man’s relationship with nature, as Paul leads a rebellion to restore his family’s reign.

Isaac has a busy year ahead of him. Up next, he is starring opposite Ben Affleck in Netflix’s action thriller “Triple Frontier.” He will also appear in the next “Star Wars” entry, which bows in December, as well as Sony’s animated “Addams Family” movie. He was most recently seen in “Operation Finale,” which he also produced.

He is repped by WME and Inspire Entertainment.

Pigdango

Donator
Yep, I just knew Leto would be a hundred shades darker than William Hurt in this version. I'm surprised they cast an actual Ginger as Lady Jessica.
You're probably not going to be pleased by this: Zendaya has been cast as Chani:

http://collider.com/zendaya-dune-re...utm_campaign=collidersocial&utm_medium=social

‘Dune’ Exclusive: Zendaya Eyed to Play Timothée Chalamet’s Love Interest
BY JEFF SNEIDER JANUARY 30, 2019

After romancing Tom Holland in Spider-Man: Homecoming and Zac Efron in The Greatest Showman, Zendaya is being eyed to play Timothée Chalamet‘s love interest Chani in Denis Villeneuve‘s Dune reboot, multiple sources tell Collider.

Based on the acclaimed novels by Frank Herbert, Dune is a space-faring adventure story that is rich with political intrigue and complex machinations. The story follows Chalamet’s Paul Atreides, the heir apparent of the Atreides family. When they’re sent to rule over the desert planet Arrakis and its valuable spice commodity, their rule is contested by competing noble families, leading to betrayal and ultimately rebellion.
Image via Sony Pictures

Oscar Isaac and Rebecca Ferguson will co-star as Chalamet’s parents, while Stellan Skarsgård will play the film’s antagonist, Baron Harkonnen, and Dave Bautista will play his murderous nephew. Meanwhile, screen legend Charlotte Rampling will play the Reverend Mother Mohiam, who can divine intentions, suss out lies and manipulate people’s emotional states on behalf of the emperor.

Should her deal close, Zendaya would play Chani, the girl of Paul’s dreams who takes on a leading role as his proper love interest in the next Dune film — should this one merit a sequel. Remember, Villeneuve is an ambitious filmmaker whose Blade Runner 2049 was also supposed to spark a franchise, to no avail.

LiddyRules

Yep, I just knew Leto would be a hundred shades darker than William Hurt in this version. I'm surprised they cast an actual Ginger as Lady Jessica.
A real Kevin Hart he is.

Bobobie

Radioguy

No, I always thought the Fremen should look Semetic. I'm only displeased that she's not that attractive. Why does Hollywood keep casting her as a love interest?
If she's Chani, who's playing Kynes? Idris Elba?

As for Semitic races, Jews actually still exist in Dune, so no need to fill a vacuum that doesn't exist. However, if you're going to do that, and make the Atreides caucasian, then it's probably going to end up with Harkonnens being Aryan, the Emperor being Arabic, etc.

LiddyRules

@maz can I get a ruling here?

She doesn't so much for me, but I don't think she's ugly. But I definitely think that she's far too dark skinned to accurately represent aliens who live on a magical spice planet surrounded by giant sand worms. Her moderate tan complexion, tsk tsk.