Letter from the BBB with XM's response mailed to me

I filed a complaint with the BBB over the suspension of O&A and here's what I got back from them. I copied it from the actual letter in the mail word for word.

COMPLAINT RESPONSE
Bureau Staff: David Dennis
Complaint ID:
Company: XM Satellite Radio Inc.
phone: 202 380-4074
Email: misty.dennis@xmradio.com

Consumer: Matt ******

Response:
We are in receipt of your letter dated May 20, 2007 regarding the complaint filed by **** and have investigated as you requested.

As indicated in the complaint, XM suspended Gregg "Opie" Hughes and Anthony Cumia, hosts of the "The Opie & Anthony Show" on May 15, 2007 and stopped broadcasts of "The Opie & Anthony Show" during the 30 day suspension period. XM management made the decision to suspend Opie & Anthony to preserve the distinctive voice of XM, while ensuring that on-air talent take seriously the responsibilities that come with exercising creativity. Our subscription agreements make clear to our listeners that such programming choices are up to XM.

The 30-day suspension ends soon, so we expect that The Opie & Anthony Show should return at it's regularly scheduled time beginning on June 15, 2007.

In the interest of customer service, we will, however, issue a month's credit to the account if Mr. **** contacts us at 800-967-2346.

XM vigilantly guards its rights to choose the programs it airs free from government censorship, but part of that freedom involves our regular review of our programming, including programs like Opie & Anthony. We appreciate that some of our listeners have claimed that XM has improperly "censored" Opie & Anthony, but, again, censorship is something done by the government. That said, although we do oppose governmental restrictions on the speech of our talent, our listeners understand there are and must be some limits to what will be aired, regardless of the source.

Thank you for your attention to this matter and let me know if you require further information.
Well there you have it. O&A will forever be "censored" by XM no matter what XM tries to call it.

They always were. I'm not saying what XM did in this case was right, and I cancelled right along with everyone else to do what we could to save the bbboys' jobs, but the show has never been 100% uncensored.

2 FarGuy

3 hours a day sounds good.

LiddyRules

I Think I'll Eat An Apple
Hasn't Opie always said that the true censorship in radio comes from the corporations being afraid, special interests, management, etc.? That the "government"/FCC censorship is such a small part of what is actually taken out for content and most of the FreeFM problem comes from FreeFM?>

Hasn't Opie always said that the true censorship in radio comes from the corporations being afraid, special interests, management, etc.? That the "government"/FCC censorship is such a small part of what is actually taken out for content and most of the FreeFM problem comes from FreeFM?>
Yup, and he's 100% right. The old WNEW shows were FCC compliant, and still would be, but they'd never get away with that stuff these days. It has nothing to do with the FCC, it's the station afraid the sponsors will get scared or SIGs will get pissed. You can say the N-word or any other racial slur all day long on the radio and the government can't touch you. Good luck keeping your job, though.

batgoat

the medication doesn't work....
Fuck June 15th, Ill keep downloading from my news server. It sucks cuz I don't want to hurt the boys income, however, XM must suffer.

Are we still fighting?
Are we still e-mailing?
Are we still supporting PAC?
Are we still sending letters to the FCC?
Are we still buying NCC coffee?
Are we still trying to meet w/other pests?(non-syndicated markets)

Are we giving up?

I just noticed another thread was already started about the BBB letter sent to another wackbager.
Damn it, I really need to stop being lazy and search before starting a new thread.

USCowboy69

Excuse me Sir could you please pick up my piggies?
I just noticed another thread was already started about the BBB letter sent to another wackbager.
Damn it, I really need to stop being lazy and search before starting a new thread.
Oh just admit it...you are a thread whore! :haha7:

LiddyRules

I Think I'll Eat An Apple
Yup, and he's 100% right. The old WNEW shows were FCC compliant, and still would be, but they'd never get away with that stuff these days. It has nothing to do with the FCC, it's the station afraid the sponsors will get scared or SIGs will get pissed. You can say the N-word or any other racial slur all day long on the radio and the government can't touch you. Good luck keeping your job, though.
I was going through old files. The KKK song went through "clean" on radio (with exception of bleeping the word 'shit' and shit was probably one of the least offensive words in the song. They use the N word like 30 times.)