Libraries in US turn up the noise with video game events and attract teenage clients

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Libraries in US turn up the noise with video game events and attract teenage clients

AP
Posted: 2008-02-17 23:23:52
ROCHESTER HILLS, Michigan (AP) - Libraries in southeastern Michigan are turning the page on peace and quiet.

Video game events at public libraries are drawing crowds of teens, including about 100 competing monthly at "Guitar Hero" at the Rochester Hills Public Library, near Detroit.

"Getting teens to come to the library is right up there with getting them to go to church: It's not exactly the first place they want to go," Christine Lind Hage, library director, told the Detroit Free Press for a story Sunday.

Hage stocked the shelves with 1,823 games. And the games are hot items, with an average of 1,300 checked out daily.

A competition in Rochester Hills was held Feb. 9, and similar events are being held at other Detroit-area libraries.

Nearly 30 teens play "Guitar Hero" or "Dance Dance Revolution" every few weeks at the Clinton-Macomb Public Library, which offers 300 video games in its collection.

"It's a big social event," said Stephanie Jaczkowski, 17. "I've met a lot of friends there, and they're really good friends."

The Canton Public Library six months ago began offering games and holding monthly tournaments for Nintendo Wii bowling and "Super Smash Bros."

"Many of the games are complex. They're worthy in their own right. They can help build cognitive skills," said Brad Bachelor, teen librarian.
I Dunno..

I think it might be a good idea!

May 24, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Our library does this along with movies and stuff. They have comics, manga, etc., as well. Hey, get's people in the door. I don't have any problem with games and I view a lot of comics as art. Shit, I'd put Watchmen up there with any book written in the last 30 years. It's a friggin' masterpiece.

FMDoug

Nov 29, 2005
That library is great. They even have a cafe and a gift shop. I'm sure the guitar hero isn't in the main library room though. It's probably in their downstairs area in some side room.

DanaReevesLungs

I can keep rhythm with no metronome...
Donator
Jun 9, 2005
Louisiana
It's getting the kids of the street and out of bordem. That's a plus in my book and I'm sure it's in turn getting revenue for the library. I'm sure the old fogies are bitching about the added traffic, but so what. Who the fuck goes to a library anymore to get a book or do research?

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
It's getting the kids of the street and out of bordem. That's a plus in my book and I'm sure it's in turn getting revenue for the library. I'm sure the old fogies are bitching about the added traffic, but so what. Who the fuck goes to a library anymore to get a book or do research?
That's part of the problem I have with this whole thing. Great - it's getting kids into the library which means they're off the streets and less likely to get into trouble. But, they're missing out on the rest of the library. Okay, you might not do research any more because you can do it on the internets from home. But, as someone who has a great love of reading, those books sitting on the shelves are a million times more entertaining than a video game.

Yeah, go ahead and say it ... I'm an old fogie and out of touch with things. But, there's something to be said about reading a book by holding it in your hands instead of looking at the words on a computer screen.

Mar 15, 2004
New Jersey
I guess the overall idea is to get teens more interested in the library as a social place rather than a musty building the old folks go to for their flu shots.

I hope it gets them more interested in reading, our kids are fucking retards these days.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Good on them. Great idea. Even if one of those 100 kids looks to his right, sees a book and thinks "hey, what is this?" it is worth it.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
It really depends on how the video game system is worked out. Is it away from everyone else or is it in the middle of people who actually do want to read? I need to know more. There's a difference between loaning out movies or even having a station to watch them or comic books and a loud video game competition.

Someone tell Krisko, we have an assignment for her to go to an inner city Detroit public library.

Xyn

3 letters, 0 meaning
Mar 3, 2005
California
Considering the sorry state that most libraries are in, almost any solution is a good solution.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
It really depends on how the video game system is worked out. Is it away from everyone else or is it in the middle of people who actually do want to read? I need to know more. There's a difference between loaning out movies or even having a station to watch them or comic books and a loud video game competition.

Someone tell Krisko, we have an assignment for her to go to an inner city Detroit public library.
The Bethpage Public Library has them in the same area as the books. My sister said that the children's wing has the books on one side and the computers on the other. Close enough I guess. But I still don't really like it

WhiskeyWhispers

I Want To Kill You All
Mar 11, 2007
Jersey
Sounds like they are turning libraries into recreation centers. Libraries are for books, plain and simple. It's one of the only places left you can go and sit in peace and quiet.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
Sounds like they are turning libraries into recreation centers. Libraries are for books, plain and simple. It's one of the only places left you can go and sit in peace and quiet.
Plus doesn't it provide you the perfect cover for when you're stalking your next victim WW? :action-sm

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
If you want to get more people to go to the library, get free wi-fi.
I have never seen more free wi-fi than out west..I believe Alaska has the largest Wi-Fi internet connections in the USA...must be the problem with running cable all that way out off the coast of Texas..
They have mostly educational games here..course, I could stock the library better in my sleep. I have seen Libraries that have entire areas dedicated to Comic Books..which I think is great..I learned alot of words I wouldn't have until high school through comics..like Exoskeleton, or theoretically..

DanaReevesLungs

I can keep rhythm with no metronome...
Donator
Jun 9, 2005
Louisiana
Yeah, go ahead and say it ... I'm an old fogie and out of touch with things. But, there's something to be said about reading a book by holding it in your hands instead of looking at the words on a computer screen.
I bring you the Amazon Kindle