OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Lincoln (Spielberg with Daniel Day Lewis, Tommy Lee Jones, JGL and more) [TRAILER]

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Neon, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

November 16, 2012.

[video=youtube;VWpMt2-Z-fc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWpMt2-Z-fc&feature=player_embedded[/video]

2. Falldog

Falldog Wackbag's Best Conservative
    It's My Birthday! Donator

So, where are the vampires?

Though really, that looks great.

3. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

I made that same joke on twitter hahaha. And it does look like something I'd watch for sure.

4. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

I'd definitely see it, but probably not until the DVD is available.

5. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

How long has it been since a Spielberg movie won a bunch of Oscars?

EDIT: 1994 with Schindler's List (7). Saving Private Ryan won 5, but they were mostly technical Oscars and it lost best picture and best actor awards to... Shakespeare in Love (fucking 7 Oscars), so it doesn't count. You think he could match that with this? I just have a feeling that the combo of Daniel Day Lewis, Spielberg, and Lincoln freeing the slaves is a perfect candidate for the Academy to go apeshit over.

EDIT: I really can't believe that Schindler's List and Shakespeare in Love won the same amount. Not that I give a shit about the Oscars, but come on. Schindler's List is fucking timeless.

6. LiddyRules

LiddyRules I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy

I am disgusted by that film's blatant Pro-Obama stance.

7. LiddyRules

I am disgusted by that film's blatant Pro-Romney stance.

8. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Well, it was written by Tony Kushner, so being pro-Romney is out of the question. That's the only reason I'm still cautious. I just don't like his work at all. He ruined Munich for me. Aside from the script, that movie was epic.

9. NuttyJim

NuttyJim Registered User

I'm gonna wait for this one. It looks good but it could end up just long and drawn out. I wonder if it is going to focus on his entire life, his presidency, or the focus on slavery. I hope it's his life with heavy focus on presidency and end with assassination.

10. LilJimmyRbinson

LilJimmyRbinson Best muppet ever

It's based on the book "Team of Rivals" written by Doris Kearns Goodwin who is a big Republican.

I think the movie focuses only on the war, specifically from the end of Gettysburg through his re-election. Not sure if Booth is in the movie or not.

11. DR. Jimcy M.E.

I will watch for Tommy Lee Jones and D.D. Lewis. Am I crazy or did I see Rip Torn as general Grant?

12. d0uche_n0zzle

d0uche_n0zzle **Negative_Creep**

Does it show Lincoln as the tyrannical monster he really was? "whaa"

13. DR. Jimcy M.E.

Lincoln was a moderate, when he was elected the south went nuts and seceded from the union. They thought he was going to end slavery, which he was unwilling to do because he though it would cause civil war. It was only when war had been going on for a while and they enlisted freemen to fight that Lincoln and the rest of the abolitionist's said fuck it we're doin it.

14. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

The issue is whether the book/movie is objective in its treatment of Lincoln.

Every abusive action and illegality President Lincoln committed to win a war for national survival (and, probably, to save the idea of a free nation in general), Republicans have since repeated many times over just to advance a personal or religious agenda. If the author of the book supports Republicans, then I seriously doubt she would ever criticize Lincoln.

Besides, the movie is made by Steven Spielberg, who's religion is Political Correctness. Sorry, but I know a bit too much about actual history to enjoy the PC version. Even if it turns out to be a well made movie.

15. LilJimmyRbinson

LilJimmyRbinson Best muppet ever

I think DN was talking about how Lincoln arrested journalists who wrote anti-Union stories and suspended habeas corpus.

16. Stormrider666

Stormrider666 Hell is home.

Se
    Are you sure about that? From what I have seen of Goodwin, she does not seem to have any political affiliation.

17. Pigdango

Pigdango Silence, you mortal Fuck!
    Donator

intentional or not, I LOL'd

18. DR. Jimcy M.E.

As soon as I posted that I said, "maybe I should ask what specifically hes referring to" but I said fuck it.

If I say something right then its ok, if I say something wrong I get a verbal beating and learn a lesson.

19. ShooterMcGavin

ShooterMcGavin Go back to your shanties.

Thank you Jimcy for my facebook cover pic.

20. DR. Jimcy M.E.

Principal Lewis or Walter White?

21. Stormrider666

Stormrider666 Hell is home.

Dude I love the new avatar.

22. DR. Jimcy M.E.

[video=youtube;GoU7J_-Zfks]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=GoU7J_-Zfks[/video]\
    He's an educator of our future leaders and that makes me feel safe.

23. mascan42

mascan42 Registered User

One sentence from a review on AICN makes me worry:

24. d0uche_n0zzle

d0uche_n0zzle **Negative_Creep**

If they failed to show Lincolns racism, then this flick is just a waste of time.

25. LiddyRules

Lincoln- Honestly meh. Lewis was great, but he wasn't "oh my God, give the Oscar to him now great." And I honestly thought Lincoln (the character) held up the movie. With a lot of the Lincoln I couldn't help but feel: "Well it's called Lincoln, gotta give 'em Lincoln!" Sally Field is terrible.

And there were a lot of moments, particularly with the Lincoln scenes, where it's like either annoying expositionary or "These are my beliefs." "These are my beliefs." "Very well, we have shared our beliefs."

I liked Spader and Hawkes storyline more than I did Lincoln.

I don't know enough about history, but I seriously find it hard to believe that anytime someone talked to Lincoln he had a pithy saying or a wise anecdote.

Even though it definitely had a look of a large movie, Spielberg was insanely lazy with "Lincoln starts a monologue. Slowly pan in on Lincoln."

Because so much of the focus was on the passage of the Amendment, the stuff after it was so anti-climactic. Hell you could have cut out everything with the family and nothing would have been lost. Again, "Well it's called Lincoln, gotta give 'em Lincoln!"

It was definitely a more myth than man biopic. And while they do reference his suspension of habeus corpus and use of war powers, it's just kind of glossed over.

Nothing about his own racism.