Linksys help

FMDoug

Nov 29, 2005
I'm having a wireless router problem and I'm hoping you guys can help.

My wireless is not working. The router is broadcasting a signal but I can't get onto the internet.

The setup is: wall to modem to router to computer.

The modem is working fine because I can hardwire into it. When i try to hardwire into the router the internet stops working. So the problem is somewhere in the router. It is a linksys wrt54g. Like i said, it broadcasts a connection but doesn't actually let me get on the internet. There is no firewall issue and it is displaying an IP address and all that good stuff. What gives? anyone know?

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
Call them, or call your ISP.

Probably should call your ISP first.

HEY WAIT A SECOND if your internet doesn't work how are you posting this? WOCKAWOCKA

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
What kind of internet do you have? Cable?

If so, you have to probably clone the mac address from your computer to the router. Go into the admin panel for the router and it should be in there somewhere.

FMDoug

Nov 29, 2005
I do have a cable modem. And what does it mean to clone the mac address from the computer to the router.

I'm so confused as to why i'm having a problem with this damn thing. It wont even let me connect to the internet if i hardwire into the router. The only way I can get on is directly into the modem.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Did you set up the router? Which router do you have? a WRT54G?

Cable internet is usually set up with MAC address filtering. Meaning, when you set up your cable internet for the first time, they grabbed the MAC address from your computer. Their server will only allow connections from this MAC address. Cloning the MAC address to the router "fools" their server into thinking your computer is directly connected. Every network device has a MAC address. Routers are set up so they can assume the MAC address of your computer in order to make everything work with your internet provider.

FMDoug

Nov 29, 2005
everything is completely set up in the router. Yes it is a wrt54g. I set it up, made sure it had the proper connections. I even had a friend who is decent with computers take a look at it. We couldn't figure it out.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I am almost positive it's the MAC address. Do you know how to get into the router control panel?

FMDoug

Nov 29, 2005
you have to type in that web address... right?

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
yea. I think the username is just left blank and the password is admin. This may differ depending on what revision of the router you have.

FMDoug

Nov 29, 2005
i'm going to try this, wish me luck

FMDoug

Nov 29, 2005
Thanks, it seems to be working.... for now. Holy shit. I've been trying to fix this since 10am and all I have to do is click "Clone address" and everything is fine. I really appreciate the help.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
You shouldn't have any more issues. Make sure you have security enabled for your wireless.

FMDoug

Nov 29, 2005
All the security is good, although for the past 6 months I had none. who knows who was using my network. I was a little nervous that if i used security that it might affect my downloading ability but my friend fixed all that. The only thing he couldn't fix was that actual problem.

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
Feb 24, 2003
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
For future reference: Unplug the cable modem for MORE than 5 minutes. This flushes out the settings in the modem, including the stored MAC address of the connected device. When you power it back up, it reinitializes and everything is usually OK.

Unplugging but not waiting long enough doesn't really reset the modem.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
That may not be the case. My brother has cable internet and I set up his wireless router, etc. Well, he got a new computer at one point, and sometime after his router died. I set up the new router and nothing worked, because everything was tied to the old mac address from his old computer. I had him call the tech support line for his service, and once they had the new mac address and reset everything on their end it worked.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
All the security is good, although for the past 6 months I had none. who knows who was using my network. I was a little nervous that if i used security that it might affect my downloading ability but my friend fixed all that. The only thing he couldn't fix was that actual problem.
Make sure you are using WPA instead of WEP for your security. Thanks to Sniper for turning me on to the Security Now Podcast

http://www.grc.com/sn/files/Breaking_WEP_in_under_60_Seconds.pdf

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
The only issue with WPA is some older wi-fi hardware isn't capable of using it. Two desktop PC's that I put cards in like 4 years ago couldn't do WPA so I always had to use WEP. I've since pulled CAT5 through most parts of the house and installed some jacks. Now that those two PC's are on a wired connection, I switched to WPA. Everything else we have can do WPA, so it's all good.

If you don't see WPA as an option on your computer, download and install the latest drivers for the wi-fi card. If you still don't see WPA as an option, you're outta luck.