literary Quotes Thread

Voodoo Ben

The African Dream
post your favorite quotes from your favorite works.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
- The Call Of Cthulhu, H.P. Lovecraft

One morning, when Gregor Samsa woke from troubled dreams, he found himself transformed in his bed into a horrible vermin. He lay on his armour-like back, and if he lifted his head a little he could see his brown belly, slightly domed and divided by arches into stiff sections. The bedding was hardly able to cover it and seemed ready to slide off any moment. His many legs, pitifully thin compared with the size of the rest of him, waved about helplessly as he looked.
- The Metamorphosis, Franz Kafka

The broken image of Man moves in minute by minute and cell
by cell.... Poverty, hatred, war, police-criminals, bureaucracy,
insanity, all symptoms of The Human Virus.
- Naked Lunch, William S. Burroughs

Mobile Biv

"Oops" - Shannon Foraker in Ashes of Victory, David Weber.

If you've read the book, you understand.

Mobile Biv

Just read this from " The Twelve:"

"One of those kind of schools, ******** thought---a sports franchise masquerading as a college where criminals drifted through phony courses and filled the coffers of the alumni fund by pounding their opposite numbers to pieces on autumn afternoons."

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Just read this from " The Twelve:"

"One of those kind of schools, ******** thought---a sports franchise masquerading as a college where criminals drifted through phony courses and filled the coffers of the alumni fund by pounding their opposite numbers to pieces on autumn afternoons."
The asterisks confused me for a second... I never remembered seeing the word "nig***" in The Twelve.

SuperGolfer

I got it from a negro
I depart as air . . . . I shake my white locks at the runaway sun,
I effuse my flesh in eddies and drift it in lacy jags. I bequeath myself to the dirt to grow from the grass I love, If you want me again look for me under your bootsoles. You will hardly know who I am or what I mean, But I shall be good health to you nevertheless, And filter and fibre your blood. Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another,
I stop some where waiting for you
Walter fucking Whitman.

Atomic Fireball

Donator
By means of ever more effective methods of mind-manipulation, the democracies will change their nature. The quaint old forms - elections, parliaments, Supreme Courts and all the rest - will remain. The underlying substance will be a new kind of non-violent totalitarianism. All the traditional names, all the hallowed slogans will remain exactly what they were in the good old days. Democracy and freedom will be the theme of every broadcast and editorial. Meanwhile the ruling oligarchy and its highly trained elite of soldiers, policemen, thought-manufacturers and mind-manipulators will quietly run the show as they see fit.

Aldous Huxley 1958
So Huxley won the Brave New World/1984 debate.

The capacity of the human mind for swallowing nonsense and spewing it forth in violent and repressive action has never yet been plumbed.
Robert A. Heinlein

Mags

A.K.A. Chad
Donator
Roses are red
Violets are blue
I suck at rhyming
Show me your tits