Local Accents

norton23

Opie And Anthony Always Win In The End
Dec 1, 2002
8,998
3
0
TITLE TOWN BABY!!!
#1
I was posting something in another thread and thought about something....Im a masshole but dont have any kind of accent. I get asked all the time why I don't have an accent, especially when I was in Florida. People would say, "your not from Boston you have no accent." I have to say that it's because of the town i'm from,,,but why would that make a difference? Granted I come from a very well to do town, but my dad is from Cape Cod and my mom is from the Boston area, they don't have accents either?????

Anybody from NY or Jersey that doesn't have the "OH MY GAWD," thing goin on? Or anybody else from Mass that doesn't have that, "yea brotha go sawx," thing? Also was watching the Steelers vs Colts game from a few years ago and they had the Pittsburgh announcer,,,holy shit they have some weird thing going on with there accent too.
 

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
32,840
4,566
898
Land of misfit toys
#2
Not to be rude, I guarantee you have a Mass accent....albiet, mild..I have no idea why...I hear it
 

norton23

Opie And Anthony Always Win In The End
Dec 1, 2002
8,998
3
0
TITLE TOWN BABY!!!
#3
Not to be rude, I guarantee you have a Mass accent....albiet, mild..I have no idea why...I hear it

nope none, some people here just don't have it at all,,,probably about 80% have it the rest don't,,im in that 20%
 

norton23

Opie And Anthony Always Win In The End
Dec 1, 2002
8,998
3
0
TITLE TOWN BABY!!!
#4
Not to be rude, I guarantee you have a Mass accent....albiet, mild..I have no idea why...I hear it

Massachusetts residents, also known as Massholes, are seemingly inept at driving and wreak havoc on the New England roadways. They are proud of the fact that they have a higher tax bracket than Sweden, affectionately referring to their state as taxachusetts.
Home to Boston, Cape Cod, Nantucket, and Martha's Vineyard,Massachusetts has a wonderful coast that is invaded by Connecticut and New York residents every weekend in the summer.
Not everyone from Massachusetts has the infamous, often mocked accent. it is usually found only in Boston, Thank God, because it's wicked obnoxious, as are all massholes.

OK I ANSWERED THE MASS ACCENT THING
 

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
32,840
4,566
898
Land of misfit toys
#5
nope none, some people here just don't have it at all,,,probably about 80% have it the rest don't,,im in that 20%
I'll take your word for it..question...you go to bed...your overhead lamp is still on..you want a dark room to sleep...what do you do?????
 

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
42,656
9,663
848
#9
the pal talkers bitch about my philly accent all the time, which is funny because i think people from philly/upper darby have even worse of an accent than i do
 

norton23

Opie And Anthony Always Win In The End
Dec 1, 2002
8,998
3
0
TITLE TOWN BABY!!!
#10
Wadda Doodle

I had a girlfriend from Jersey who's entire family was very disapointed to meet me and not be able to make fun of my masshole accient....instead I was holding back trying not to make fun of there silly way of talking,,,love Jersey though,,,parts of it at least.
 
Jun 2, 2005
15,516
4
0
Dallas
#12
I grew up in Dallas and I have zero accent. I'm constantly going all over the country for business and it's pretty common for people to not believe I'm from Texas.
 

Beeman99

Registered User
Mar 14, 2005
13,787
2
0
#13
Supposedly I have an accent, I don't think so, but others say I do
 

kloraferm

Humor is reason gone mad
Sep 6, 2002
31,366
41
783
Staten Island, NY
#14
Lived in NY my entire life, but couldn't tell you how many times I've heard people tell me I don't have a NY accent, etc. I'm really not sure why.
 

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
9,749
1
333
right where I wanna be
#15
I hate my Lawn Gisland, New Yawk accent and try very hard to not speak like I'm from here. There are times I succeed and then there are times when I fail miserably. I was in Virginia last year joking with the cashier at Ukrop's (a grocery store in Williamsburg) while he rang up my order and when he asked if I wanted paper or plastic, I answered plastic. It was at that point that he asked if I was from New York. I said yeah and asked how he knew..he said he didn't until I said plastic. Oh well, I'm from New Yawk and I guess I'll never be able to fully deny it
 
Jun 2, 2005
15,516
4
0
Dallas
#16
I hate my Lawn Gisland, New Yawk accent and try very hard to not speak like I'm from here. There are times I succeed and then there are times when I fail miserably. I was in Virginia last year joking with the cashier at Ukrop's (a grocery store in Williamsburg) while he rang up my order and when he asked if I wanted paper or plastic, I answered plastic. It was at that point that he asked if I was from New York. I said yeah and asked how he knew..he said he didn't until I said plastic. Oh well, I'm from New Yawk and I guess I'll never be able to fully deny it
It's spelled "pleeyastic"
 

kimothee

Token Gimpy Cunt
Aug 31, 2004
1,224
0
281
The Edge of the Water, Norf Jersey
#17
I grew up in Western Mass/Northern CT, which means that I have "newscaster accent" (as in, perfect American english). At least, I used to. Then I moved to Colorado, which although doesn't have a distinct accent, still has one. Now I'm in South Jersey, which has a heavy Philly-like accent (but not quite). I no longer have the super nasal tone of New England (thank gawd I trained myself out of that) and have a hybrid midwestern-Philly one depending on what I'm saying. I also pick up dialects and phrases quickly.

...but I did say 'wicked' all the time growing up!
 
Mar 2, 2005
6,781
126
578
chicago
#19
only cops and pollacks have the infamous chicago accent ....of which i am neither
 

WhiskeyWhispers

I Want To Kill You All
Mar 11, 2007
3,544
3
0
Jersey
#20
Yeah I'm from North Jersey and while we have accents, only Brooklyn goombas and Jew broads from Long Island really talk in the sterotypical New York accent.
 

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005
16,959
2,196
608
#21
i have a slight southern accent, but its mainly cause i can not not say "ya'll", i even type that shit. its just hard for me to fathom not being able to say that.

im the same way as Norton though because most people dont believe im from the south, but i have to fight the accent sometimes. occasionally it kicks in, like if nascar or bullriding is on TV.
 
Dec 25, 2005
10,005
172
513
NJ
#22
Someone asked me what kind of accent I have a few nights ago... it's not a Jersey accent.

My guess is that my french/creole or french canadian accent came back after working in Upstate NY/Canada & Minneapolis so much.

oooo yahh dat soucks ya knoow mixed with a slight drawl/slur (not drunk) = me.

I'm fuckin exotic.
 
Jun 2, 2005
15,516
4
0
Dallas
#23
i have a slight southern accent, but its mainly cause i can not not say "ya'll", i even type that shit. its just hard for me to fathom not being able to say that.

im the same way as Norton though because most people dont believe im from the south, but i have to fight the accent sometimes. occasionally it kicks in, like if nascar or bullriding is on TV.
Ya'll is a word.

If ya'll don't think so, then fuck ya'll

And fuck Firefox for putting a little dotted red line under "ya'll", it's a word and it's spelled correctly you faggot browser
 

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
32,840
4,566
898
Land of misfit toys
#24
See, Never thought I had an accent..and trust me...so glad I KNOW I DO NOT have a Scranton accent, always been very very easy for me to pick up on other people's accents to the point I used to be able to tell pretty much where they are from.
I find accents hot..usually; Whiney Long Island accents make me want to shove an Icepick up my nose
 

kimothee

Token Gimpy Cunt
Aug 31, 2004
1,224
0
281
The Edge of the Water, Norf Jersey
#25
Ya'll is a word.

If ya'll don't think so, then fuck ya'll

And fuck Firefox for putting a little dotted red line under "ya'll", it's a word and it's spelled correctly you faggot browser
Actually, it's spelled y'all. No pissy little red dotted line on that spelling. Best friend is originally from Arkansas which is how I know that.