Lockout- Guy Pearce's Snake Plissken in Escape From Space Station- April 20, 2012

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
[yt]5nu7VlD-9rw[/yt]

I'm not sure how I feel about this just yet. There's been several fun looking sci-fi movies over the past couple of years that fall apart by being too self-awaredly cheesy or not maintaining a consistent tone, but I like Guy Pearce and the trailer has me interested.

DrewDown

All are welcome
May 3, 2010
Ohio
Guy Pierce is one of my favorites, so I'll probably check it out.

it looks like Taken in space. Same producers? Same girl? I wonder how a retard runs in space?

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
This will be so easy to fuck up simply because of how derivative it is. No element of this movie is original, so they'll have to work overtime to make it good. I'll still watch this because I'll watch pretty much any sci-fi movie, and I too like Guy Pearce. Let's say I'm not too optimistic, though.

DrewDown

All are welcome
May 3, 2010
Ohio
Neon, since you like sci-fi, I wonder if you saw Sunshine a few years back? It's a great example of the potential of a good sci-fi and Hollywood's inability to follow through on that potential. I know this is off topic.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Neon, since you like sci-fi, I wonder if you saw Sunshine a few years back? It's a great example of the potential of a good sci-fi and Hollywood's inability to follow through on that potential. I know this is off topic.
I liked Sunshine but didn't love it. The cinematography was fucking great, and many things about it were awesome, but yeah. That is a great example of a movie that suffers because of the 8,000 other movies with similar concepts that already came out before it.

I still think that overall it was pretty good. I'd say a better example of what you are saying is the more recent movie Pandorum. That felt like 2 pretty cool scripts that were smashed together and put in a meatgrinder. I LOVED the whole control room paranoia angle, where he doesn't even know if what's happening is real or not. I loved the whole "this ship's been afloat for decades and sub civilizations developed on it" angle, but combining the two was so clunky and just killed any good vibe that I had initially. Fucking shame really. It almost feels like 2 great movies that were combined to make 1 below average movie.

Notice that both of these movies have what is one of the biggest death knells of sci-fi movies these days - "crazy guy IN SPACE." WE FUCKING GET IT. There's ALLLLLWAYS one guy who can't handle things and goes crazy. That's why I like Event Horizon so much. There it just happened to everyone.

DrewDown

All are welcome
May 3, 2010
Ohio
THat seems to be the case with sci fi films in general. Good sci fi is thoughtful and speculative. The typical movie audience doesn't have the patience or interest, though. This Guy Pierce flick is just an action movie with a sci ti backdrop. I will still see it because I'm a sucker.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
THat seems to be the case with sci fi films in general. Good sci fi is thoughtful and speculative. The typical movie audience doesn't have the patience or interest, though. This Guy Pierce flick is just an action movie with a sci ti backdrop. I will still see it because I'm a sucker.
Ever see The Man from Earth? That's a great sci-fi movie, and all it is is a bunch of people sitting around and fucking talking. Another great one from recent years is Moon. Fuck Tom Hanks in Castaway. Sam Rockwell kills that movie all by himself.

DrewDown

All are welcome
May 3, 2010
Ohio
Moon is great. Better than Source Code. How about Solaris? Not the Clooney one, which wasn't awful. I mean the original Russian version.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Moon is great. Better than Source Code. How about Solaris? Not the Clooney one, which wasn't awful. I mean the original Russian version.
I know this is sacrilegious, but I've never seen the original Solaris. I'm a dummy too, because I know that it's very good.

Still, to me personally, nothing beats Close Encounters. There is just something so organic and realistic about that movie that I've just never seen repeated. I can't really explain it. It's more of an intangible. Small things that the characters say and do that just feel very real to me.

DrewDown

All are welcome
May 3, 2010
Ohio
It's really long and builds very slowly, but well worth it. I've been meaning to read the book at some point, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

DrewDown

All are welcome
May 3, 2010
Ohio
Close Encounters works because of the human element. They are well written and well acted. Starman is another favorite for that reason.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I think Stanislav Lem is Polish, but don't quote me on that. The film is Russian, though.
Technically yes, but Solaris was written in 1961. Back then, Poland was pretty much the Soviet Union anyway.

Saikotic

Scraping a dull blade across your tender eyeball
Donator
Mar 5, 2005
Right Behind You
Again, the trailer gives away too much. This will most likely be a standard action movie with a sci-fi backdrop. Nothing we haven't seen, but hopefully with some good acting/characters (I liked the criminal in the beginning), it'll be a good popcorn movie.

it looks like Taken in space. Same producers? Same girl? I wonder how a retard runs in space?
Oh Christ, it is. *facepalm*

Another great one from recent years is Moon. Fuck Tom Hanks in Castaway. Sam Rockwell kills that movie all by himself.
Moon was excellent, directed by the son of David Bowie. Source Code was good, but it didn't have the amount of Mindfuck that Moon did. It was like Source Code was watered down to the common denominator of moviegoer.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Again, the trailer gives away too much.
Absolutely. I just stopped it at some point. These trailers are way too long. Just tell us the general plot and stop.

Moon was excellent, directed by the son of David Bowie. Source Code was good, but it didn't have the amount of Mindfuck that Moon did. It was like Source Code was watered down to the common denominator of moviegoer.
Yeah, I remember enjoying source code, but it was fairly forgettable. Once again I'll mention an anime here. Steins;Gate does something similar to Source Code, but light years better.

DrewDown

All are welcome
May 3, 2010
Ohio
I challenge anyone to sit through all of Time Machine. Love Guy, but lost respect for him on that one.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I challenge anyone to sit through all of Time Machine. Love Guy, but lost respect for him on that one.
I did sit through Time Machine. I remember laughing really hard when he went back in time to try and save his chick and she died again. I can't remember why it was so funny, but it was really comical.

The thing with Lockout is that I'm not looking for a mind-altering sci-fi experience like Moon, David Bowie Presents Rip Torn's Penis, or original Solaris. I want a good, sci-fi action film like Escape from New York or Mad Max.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I did sit through Time Machine. I remember laughing really hard when he went back in time to try and save his chick and she died again. I can't remember why it was so funny, but it was really comical.
I am mystified as to why they chose to make the actual time machine look like the one from the original movie. It's literally the visual centerpiece of the entire film, and you just go with the same thing they did in 1960? How unoriginal are you?!