logical progression 4 tracking light prob

Mommadeez4u

Bastard coated bastard w/ bastard filling
Mar 26, 2005
Washington, DC
I have a 3 season greenhouse where we brought power out a few years back, I have a bunch of outdoor- rated receptacles on a different circuit & some overhead lights controlled by this switch:

The receptacles work fine but overhead lights no worky. I brought 1 of the bulbs inside & it works (in fact all 3 bulbs look good). Circuit breaker not popped at box, not sure how to test this switch (or even if that's the best thing to do next). Do I need 1 of the, whaddayacallit, voltmeters?

edit: 'we brought power out' means I paid some fellers to do it, I know fuck-all about fancy electrical lights

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Ummm first tip is I would put that wire in conduit... and get a new switch like a $5 item...

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
Radio Shack has cheap , pocket sized meters for like 10-20 bucks

Those bulbs regular , screw-in incandescents ?

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
If it is a regular switch then all it does is interrupt the "hot" wire which is the black one. You just need to come up with a way to join the 2 black leads together and flip the breaker back on long enough to verify that the lights come back on.

If you had a meter then you could test there is in fact power coming in on the bottom wire feeding the switch 120v ac. You could also test with the continuity setting that the switch reads open when "off" or short when "on".

Simple bypass would be to join the 2 screws together on the side of the switch with a piece of wire, just make sure it is not touching any bare metal when doing so.

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
At least get one of those little screwdriver looking voltage checkers
They come in handy sometimes
Not much for checking Grounds
But good for checking available voltage

They are cheap too
Maybe even find one with the Christmas lights
Just make sure it measures 120 VAC

Haeder

South Dakota
Mar 30, 2005
Take off the face plate of the switch box, remove the switch and replace it with a new one. Tools required: a flat head screwdriver. Either that or hire a real man to do it for you.

Mommadeez4u

Bastard coated bastard w/ bastard filling
Mar 26, 2005
Washington, DC
Take off the face plate of the switch box, remove the switch and replace it with a new one. Tools required: a flat head screwdriver.

Thanks, video helpful.

Either that or hire a real man to do it for you.
Thanks, your mom's already on my speed dial

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
oh just take the cover off and jab around with a screw driver if it sparks you got power