OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Looking for a 4G/LTE repeater for RV/Home use.

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices' started by sniper2323, Sep 16, 2012.

1. sniper2323

sniper2323 The true north Idaho P.O.W.

Ok, as some of you might remember, I'm in the North Dakota oil patch. I am now in my RV but 4G Verizon signal is there (2 bars inside) but speed isn't great. I would like to install a 4G/LTE repeater that will cover the whole rv wirelessly and could handle multiple devices at the same time. I already have a run of super low loss coax from the prior owners install (Yes, cell phone booster), but now just need to find a good repeater and indoor antenna. I plan on buying a good yagi that will cover both 3g and 4g that will mount to the ladder in the back for a external antenna.

Suggestions? Thanks.

2. Bluestreak

Bluestreak This space intentionally left blank.

Why not see what Verizon has for hotspots? It's the size of a phone, and you can carry it on you.

3. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

I think what he's looking for is an amplifier to raise the signal he's currently receiving and utilize his current equipment. If he has a shitty signal, a snazzy new Verizon box won't do shit for him.

Something like this although that one got poor ratings.

Sorry don't have experience myself.

4. gorram

gorram ;)

5. weeniewawa

weeniewawa it's a man, baby!!!

6. sniper2323

Yeah, I have a Galaxy Nexus and a 22 Gig data plan, so a hot spot wont do anything for me but just add more $$ to my bill and another contract. I think I can get the separation with the antennas as the external will be on the back/outside, and I could mount the inside antenna up front. But from me research is if you want one for 4G data that is all it will do, seems as though they don't make a "all in one" for both data and voice. Not a deal breaker as data is the more important aspect for right now and voice is usable as is, but thought if I was going to spend the money, I would cover both bases.

So, 33' class A rv, external antenna on lets say a 8' mast off the top of the ladder and the other antenna inside near the engine compartment, should give me both vertical and horizontal separation so the signals don't mix.

7. gorram

gorram ;)

Noticed that it looked like you might have to do separate amps and antennas to get both. 4G just might be too new for them to be in combo devices now. I see plenty of dual band stuff for the frequencies that have been in use for some time.

8. sniper2323

9. CougarHunter

CougarHunter Lying causes cat piss smell.

The problem with a yagi antenna in an application such as this is that they are extremely directional, so you have to know exactly which way to point it.

Also, helps to know that the end with the bigger elements is the back of the antenna.

10. sniper2323

I agree, and at the freq range, line of sight is very important. From what I am reading, does multi. devices at the same time, and does data and voice at the same time.

11. CougarHunter

CougarHunter Lying causes cat piss smell.

If you are stationary, you might do just as well to make a J-pole tuned at 766.5 mhz and put it up on a couple sections of thinwall conduit. You wouldn't be nearly as directional, but the height will make up for it because it should still be in the line of sight of the tower.

766.5 puts it directly in the middle of the transmit and receive portions of Veriozon LTE spectrum.

12. weeniewawa

weeniewawa it's a man, baby!!!

check out this company, L-Com, they sell lots of wireless networking stuff