Looking for a car part...

Fr. Dougal

Any Wackbaggers with auto shop/junkyard connections out there?

I need a spare tire cover (outer and inner ring) in black for a 2004 Toyota RAV4.

I got rear ended last week, I was the front car in a 3-car smash up, and there was a cop on the scene within a minute. He made us get off the highway, and when we all got off, he took our licenses/reg/ins cards and kept us in our cars.

He called each one of us back to his car individually, and let us each go away on our own. When he called me back, he said he didn't need my statement since I was the one rear-ended, and I wasn't at fault. He didn't give me an incident number or a slip or anything -- all he said was to call the precinct in a few days. That was a week ago, and 3 phone calls and a visit to the precinct and I find out there is no accident report. (Yeah, my fault, because I should have gotten the cop's info at the very least... but it was my first real accident so I was just following what the cop told me.)

So now, my rear tire cover is cracked. (Not to mention, the bar inside the door is probably dented, but it's not bad enough to fork out the estimated $2000 to fix it out of my own pocket.)

So anyone have connections on where I can get one of these covers/inner wheel rings without paying the $500 retail price from Toyota?

Thanks...

HA HA you drive a Rav 4! How cute.

Did you get any of the other driver's info? If 911 was dialed there should be a record of the responding officer if you know the times and date.

Fr. Dougal

Haha... yeah, I like the Rav4, fuck off. :action-sm I don't give a shit what people think about it. I like it, that's all that matters. :)

I couldn't get any of the info because the cop kept us in our cars. I was a fuckin wreck after the accident, so it never entered my mind to start writing down their license plate numbers at the least. (Like I said, yeah it's my fault.) Cop was already on the highway behind us, so no one called 911.

I have a friend who's a detective in another precinct, and he's gonna do some snooping for me tonight at work. It has been suggested that the cop may have ripped up the report if something green and crisp crossed his hand. If that's the case, nothing I can do. So at least the only thing really effed up on my car is the spare cover.

Try a local junk yard, you might get lucky. If not you might want to roll the dice on e*bay

fuck that. there has got to be a way to dig deeper..did you see the make/model of the other cars? what about the police car? YOU saw the officer...there are a limited amount of cops patrolling the area you were in. I am sure you can get to the bottom of this. Was it a state or local? My brother got fucked over by cops not properly filling out an accident report...don't let it happen. You were not at fault and now you are going to be responsible for your own damages as well as whatever shitstorm one of the other drivers causes b/c they got your info and decide to come after you. No police report = no proof. People can make whatever claims they want...YOU were backing up and hit the car and then a car hit him etc...Stay on it. Shit i bet the cops fingerprints are Still on your license :)

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
I checked http://car-part.com/ and they didn't have it. Look at eBay item # 170073346139.

Cop was probably a friend of someone in the accident (who was at fault) and is helping them out by "losing" the paperwork and not filing the report.

Fr. Dougal

fuck that. there has got to be a way to dig deeper..did you see the make/model of the other cars? what about the police car? YOU saw the officer...there are a limited amount of cops patrolling the area you were in. I am sure you can get to the bottom of this. Was it a state or local? My brother got fucked over by cops not properly filling out an accident report...don't let it happen. You were not at fault and now you are going to be responsible for your own damages as well as whatever shitstorm one of the other drivers causes b/c they got your info and decide to come after you. No police report = no proof. People can make whatever claims they want...YOU were backing up and hit the car and then a car hit him etc...Stay on it. Shit i bet the cops fingerprints are Still on your license :)
I gave a description of the other cars to the mongoloid-looking desk jockey at the precinct... as well as a description of the cop. My plate number, my car description, the exact time the ax happened and exactly where it happened. They still said there was no report.

I got a number for the hwy patrol division where this cop worked out of... they said they weren't allowed to tell me which cop was working that day... but they'd have his CO find out and call me. Call never came.

I had thought, maybe the cop was just a lazy prick and didn't hand it in yet, but everyone I talked to said it should have happened by now. We'll see what my friend says tonight. He's gonna look thru the dept's computer for it.

Fr. Dougal

I checked http://car-part.com/ and they didn't have it. Look at eBay item # 170073346139.

Cop was probably a friend of someone in the accident (who was at fault) and is helping them out by "losing" the paperwork and not filing the report.
Thanks Sinn... Not exactly what I'm looking for, but same sort of idea I suppose. I think what I'll do in the interim is get one of those fabric stretch covers and stretch it over the whole thing to keep the front cover in place... until I get the whole thing fixed.

Most salvage yards are networked,so if they don't have it,they can get it.I forget what they call it,but it's a nationwide thing.Reputable yards will have it.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
If you're not at fault, why the fuck are paying to have your vehicle fixed? The dumb fuck who caused your damage should be the one paying. "whaa"

Sprite

permanent case of the Moooondays
www.junkyarddog.com

It's worked for me numerous times, just realize the first few responses will be automated. The best junkyards personally respond to each individual request if they have the part.

Warfarer

I can't think of anything funny.
A Rav4? Are you sure the car is the only thing that got rear ended? Mur-mur-mur...

Depending on the state, the law requires YOU to file a report with the DMV for damage over a certain amount, regardless of the police report. In NY, the dept that handles it was very helpful and you could get them to call the police to research into this accident.

I would file the report yourself with the dmv and get them to help you. If you have the info for the other cars, your insurance company will help things along, too. They too will make the precinct's life miserable.

Fr. Dougal

Turns out the family friend who's a cop, who is fairly high-ranking, found the report -- which was difficult even for him. Not sure why, but I'm sure I'll find out. So one headache down. Next headache -- calling the other guy's insurance company and filing a claim against them. I'm sure they'll come out and give me a crap quote.

Kinda makes me wish I didn't have a deductible. That way I could have gone through my insurance and be done with it.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
If your insurance company has to pay out for anything, even if it wasn't your fault, they surcharge you for X number of years afterwards. Trust me, you're better off having the other guy's insurance cover it.